FLIR Thermosight Pro 536 Current Specials HALO Medical Supplies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honey or not?

Honey or not?

Does anyone know of a test that will tell you if you have real honey or not? I ask, because I've read that some of the crap coming out of China is labelled as honey, but it's actually a combination of high fructose corn syrup and artificial coloring. I know the best option is locally produced honey, and I have a source for that, but I also have some honey I bought at the store and need to know if I can eat it or need to toss it. Thanks.

Try to buy it local. Here in the stores, the honey has a local sticker attached to it. The honey you buy needs to be cloudy. The more clear it is the more filtration it has been through and lost the good stuff that you want in it.

We ate at a resteraunt about a month ago that has fake honey. It didnt taste very good, thats what made me look at the container to find out it was fake.
    Knowledge is Power, Practiced Knowledge is Strength, Tested Knowledge is Confidence

Buy your honey from a local beekeeper so you know what you are getting. Or if you aren't allergic to bee stings, have your own hives.

Site Supporter and Beta Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Buy your honey from a local beekeeper so you know what you are getting. Or if you aren't allergic to bee stings, have your own hives.
    Either way, it's a good idea to get to know your local produce producers now and become a regular customer before things go south. Regular customers nearly always get preferential treatment

Additionally, consuming local honey can help with allergies - and it stores well.
    This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave. ~Elmer Davis

I have my own honey from a topbar hive and it is cloudy due to the way I extracted the honey from the wax.

Getting into beekeeping has opened my eyes to how much poisonous chemicals are used in hives.

Even if you buy local honey it has had a poison used in the hive to control verroa mites. If it is used correctly it should not get into your honey.

My hive got ZERO miticide used in it so I know its organic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are many small beekeepers like you and I, who don't use poisons to control verroa mites or anything else in our hives. I've been keeping bees for a few years now and I have never used any chemical or poison in any of my hives.
    It's survival of the fittest for the bees here on my property. If the bees can't survive without chemical treatments, I don't want them.

You can check with your local Ag Extension Office, they will usually have knowledge of the beekeepers in your area, Try to buy local and make sure and ask the keeper all of the questions that are of value to you, Meds used, type of honey, season collected. The very best is honey removed at the beginning of summer (spring honey) many beekeepers will be VERY HAPPY to tell you ALL about their crop.
    Do the right thing, because it is the right thing to do!

Quote Originally Posted by tech View Post
    Either way, it's a good idea to get to know your local produce producers now and become a regular customer before things go south. Regular customers nearly always get preferential treatment

Additionally, consuming local honey can help with allergies - and it stores well.
    We've heard the same thing about buying honey produced locally as far as allergies, etc...Also don't have to worry about it being made in China or being fake.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.

Ronald Wilson Reagan (1911-2004)

JOSEPH WAS A PREPPER!
    NOAH WAS A PREPPER!
    I'M A PREPPER TOO!

We just recently bought our first local honey. The hubby is in love with the stuff!