FLIR Thermosight Pro 536 Current Specials HALO Medical Supplies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: garden pests

Blog Entries

Red face garden pests

I've had my share of tomato horn worms, potato bugs and other little pesties, but my biggest pest at the moment is the stray cats that think my garden is their personal litter box. I live in the town limits with neighbors on all sides, so just shooting them is out of the question.

Any suggestions? Other than a dish of antifreeze.
    Pray for Obama, Psalms 109:8. Before you judge me, look it up.

I think my tin foil is too tight.

They make motion activated sprinklers to ward off nuisance animals. Never used them myself so I can't vouch for their effectiveness but it was something that has been suggested to me in past. Being in the sticks though I've always just shot them or caught them in live traps and then dropped the trap into a large trash can full of water.

2013 Site Supporter jimmycthemd's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't know if this'll work for you, but there's a thread on a driveway alarm (motion sensor). Of course, that might wake you and your neighbors up.

I know this for dogs but I'm not sure about cats. The pet stores sell a spray that keeps dogs from urinating wherever you spray this stuff. I don't know what it'd do to/for your veggies but it might be worth a try. If nothing else, try your local pet store and see if they can suggest a cure (other than a .22 or pellet gun LOL).
    "Common sense might be common but it is by no means wide spread." Mark Twain

The driveway alarm and an application of 177 pellets/22 CBs solve alot of issues or traps with tuna
    you can do live traps to catch and remove, large traps to kill though they dont die quietly or even mouse traps to inflict pain compliance
    Knowledge is Power, Practiced Knowledge is Strength, Tested Knowledge is Confidence

Has anyone ever tested those motion alarms that emit a low frequency noise to ward off animals?
    You know what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like this?

Quote Originally Posted by WiseOwl View Post
    Has anyone ever tested those motion alarms that emit a low frequency noise to ward off animals?
    yes but I still bugged my wife LOL
    no seriously I have but didnt see any results, cats were still all over the place and had to be dealt with in other manners
    Knowledge is Power, Practiced Knowledge is Strength, Tested Knowledge is Confidence

Damn TV commercials with the buy 1 now get 1 free (just pay the extra processing and handling)
    You know what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like this?

Brass Site Supporter 2013 Thank you!
    Well you can always look at this as an opportunity to practice your snaring skills.
    My blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by WiseOwl View Post
    Damn TV commercials with the buy 1 now get 1 free (just pay the extra processing and handling)
    uh-huh aint buyin nothin like that unless it shoots laser beams and is dangerous to the neighborhood kids and runs the risk of me losing a limb setting it up LOL

2013 Site Supporter jimmycthemd's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Stopped by a pet shop to get some feed for the dog and asked about the problem. Their suggestion was that Home Depot, etc., sells a powder called Repel. I let them know that it was a vegetable garden and they said it was safe "all natural". I've never seen or used it so, as always, do some research and take with a grain of salt.

BTW, I LIKE the stare/trap suggestions...especially if they make LOTS of noise LOL
    "Common sense might be common but it is by no means wide spread." Mark Twain