FLIR Thermosight Pro 536 Current Specials HALO Medical Supplies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

chain saw thoughts

i spent some time behind a chain saw today.
    it wouldn't crank, the last time i tried. today with fresh gas,
    sunshine, and the Lord's blessing ? it ran well.
    i thought i would be buying a new one... now, the tight wad in me,
    says nah... this thing will run great for years..
    --
    comments and quetions..
    my saw is a homeowner version. not a commercial quality unit..
    what do you recommend? if i or others do decide to go shopping?
    my usage is for firewood, and occasional clean up/trimming. i see the potential need to build a log shed, cabin, or fence rails. animal shed. the cost is a factor.

as a teenager i ran an old mccullough and a sears saw a bunch. i'm out of practice and
    out of shape. there was a close call today and the realization that an injury would be a serious matter
    now and devastating without easy access to a hospital/doctor if the shtf...
    i need to get in better shape and some of those protective chaps would be a good idea.

what about bars and chains? recommendations for spares and sharpening equipment?
    2 cycle oil? have you got plenty... i don't. i found an old quart of marine oil i used for mixing.

other spare parts?

hmm. it sure would be nice to have 2 of the same brand and model. maybe you could keep one
    running. that would be a whole set of spare parts!!

rr

I have a Stihl Farm boss 390 with a 20" bar that I'm pretty happy with. Definately suggest a couple spare bars (in case one gets pinched and bent)and several spare chains. Extra air filters, spark plugs and chain files, chain files and more chain files. Store as much bar oil as you do gas for it and enough 2-cycle oil to mix. I really don't know what to suggest beyond that. Only got my saw a few years ago and it is the only one I have experience with. We heat entirely with wood we cut from the property so it sees a lot of use. Before the chainsaw I've always used either an old two-man logging saw and/or an ax. Had to leave the two-man when we left the coast but I need to get another one as a backup. Chaps would be good and steel toe boots too.

Chainsaw means "won't run when you need it" in some foreign language. I convinced of it
    Dunno what to tell you on brands

Take your time when cutting wood no matter the tool, many of us dont do it enough and when we do, well you might not forget how to ride the proverbial bike but you are sure more likely to wreck the first time you do get back on, so move slow and sure, ice down afterwards and keep a cell phone handy or better yet a buddy and wear steel toed shoes
    Knowledge is Power, Practiced Knowledge is Strength, Tested Knowledge is Confidence

Was a Huskie user for years, switched over to Stihl a good while back. 290 with a 20" bar.

Check ebay for the model you have, lots of saw shops put parts on sale there. Or next time your at the saw shop/small engine repair shop, strike up a conversation with the repair guy(s). Tell him your looking for a blown model of your same model for parts. Often times you can get these for a song.

Bought and started using chaps a few years ago, always have some sort of eye protection on also. Always have at least a small axe or another saw with you in the field. Often times a tree will fall the "wrong way" and bind the saw. I don't care how careful you think you are, this can and does happen. A second saw or an axe can be used to cut free the other saw.

Check to see what kind of sprocket/spindle type assembly yours has and have at least 3-4 of them. Outside of chains this has been the one item that has failed most often on us. We cut a lot for heating and helping someone harvest for their saw mill.
    Boris- "He's famous, has picture on three dollar bill!"

Rocky- "Wow! I've never even seen a three dollar bill!"

Boris- "Is it my fault your poor?"

Site Supporter and Beta Tester
    I've had Poulan and Stihl. By far the best and one I still use is a Husqvarna. I got it at Tractor Supply, the things a tank. I've had no problems with it. Fresh gas is a big plus I think though.

Blog Entries
    +1 on the fresh gas although the stabilized stuff works fine as well

I'm running a Husky that's been good so far
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Ditto on the kevlar chaps. I watched my hubby have his thigh saved by the grace of God and a little round tin can in his pocket. I didn't wait, I immediately ordered him some chaps online and in the meantime borrowed some from a friend until his came in. They are worth every penny. I also have him wear a helmet with a face sheild. My high school guidance counselor lost her hubby to a tree branch that went the wrong way after Katrina...love my guy too much to not have him use a helmet.

just to clear the air.
    my early days with a mccullough and a sears.. WAS NOT an endorsement.
    if you see a mc for sale cheap keep looking... i think they are out of business.

i think matt was familiar with both these saws.
    my current saw is a husqvarna 141 i've got mixed feelings. i went back to some of the
    farmers that recommended husqvarna and found out that they had the farm commercial
    models instead of the 141 version (homeowner) that i bought.

I run a Husqvarna, 350 w 18" bar, I keep a three gallon supply of bar oil (have a stihl polesaw also) I keep two extra plugs, use castrol synthetic 2 stroke oil, I keep about three qts on hand. two bars and three chains. I guess I need chaps, bought a case of safety glasses so always have a pair around. I don't use a helmet. I have somewhere around 10 chain files, can't have enough of them, quality of files has gone down in the past decade, if anyone knows of a good (hard) file manufacturer let me know. I have been buying files from different manu's and haven't found one that is near as good as what I used to buy, all are SOFT do a couple of sharpenings and are junk.
    Do the right thing, because it is the right thing to do!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
    if you see a mc for sale cheap keep looking... i think they are out of business.
    They are out of business.

Quote Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
    my current saw is a husqvarna 141 i've got mixed feelings. i went back to some of the
    farmers that recommended husqvarna and found out that they had the farm commercial
    models instead of the 141 version (homeowner) that i bought.
    The Husky 240 is a good balance between the commercial and home owner. Cheap enough to be considered a part time saw, but durable and strong enough for heavy work.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.