JRH Products

View Poll Results: Truck or Jeep for BOV?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Truck

25 78.13%
  • Jeep

2 6.25%
  • Other, I'll explain...

5 15.63%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    For those who have the bug! Here is a page of vehicles that wouldn't have an issue with EMP, their look says "I eat EMP's for Breakfast"
    No Electronics unless you add them.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ge7&p=75797554

There used to be all kinds of these and earlier models for sale at county/state auctions, they made great brush trucks for small Fire Departments.
    Had a chance to buy one for 350.00 when I was much younger and thought "Who would want a truck that max'd out at 40mph!!" Young and Dumb!!
    Do the right thing, because it is the right thing to do!

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    I'm thinking about trading my 4x4 truck for a Jeep. I have an extended cab Dodge Dakota and I kinda dig CJs. Which would you choose for a bug out vehicle?
    As a Jeep owner I love mine but for a BOV not so much. The only reason I am keeping mine is that EVERY part is replacable. and they are easy to work on.

I wopuld say an older jeep j2000 no emp issues and will carry alot. My idea is something that doesn't get everyone attention. you know nice shiney something that says...I have stuff. Just my .02
    I came into this world kicking and screaming while covered in someone elses blood. And have no problem with going out the same way

IMO, for BOV purposes, a CJ or Wrangler would make a poor choice unless you're a bachelor with no pets or friends and your are accustomed to roughly it. The CJ/Wrangler option doesn't offer very much storage & hauling capacity. The smallest Jeep I would use a BOV is a Cherokee (I have a '92 I am currently rebuilding). Even then I think a Cherokee is limiting your options compared to a double cab 1 ton 4x4 pickup. If you have the money, go for a quality double cab 1 ton 4x4 pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry View Post
    IMO, for BOV purposes, a CJ or Wrangler would make a poor choice unless you're a bachelor with no pets or friends and your are accustomed to roughly it. The CJ/Wrangler option doesn't offer very much storage & hauling capacity. The smallest Jeep I would use a BOV is a Cherokee (I have a '92 I am currently rebuilding). Even then I think a Cherokee is limiting your options compared to a double cab 1 ton 4x4 pickup. If you have the money, go for a quality double cab 1 ton 4x4 pickup.
    That's where I'm at Tackleberry. I've got a Mountaineer AWD but it's a 6 cyl. I'm selling it this year and keeping my eyes open for a 50s-70s model pickup. More room to carry things and a stronger motor to pull a trailer with necessities if need be.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.

Ronald Wilson Reagan (1911-2004)

JOSEPH WAS A PREPPER!
    NOAH WAS A PREPPER!
    I'M A PREPPER TOO!

That sounds like a good plan to me. I am going to stick to my Cherokee for now. I've always wanted to rebuild a Cherokee and now I have the opportunity to do it. I am looking at putting a frame mounted exoskeleton roll cage on it. I have seen a number of XJ's with them and they look pretty stout. If I can get the exoskeleton then I'll definitely be able to stow gear on the roof, tow a trailer with add'l gear and still have room for the family inside.
    "One cannot but ponder the question: what if the Arabs had been Christians? To me it seems certain that the fatalistic teachings of Mohammed and the utter degradation of women is the outstanding cause for the arrested development of the Arab. He is exactly what he was around the year 700, while we have kept on developing. Here, I think, is a text for some eloquent sermon on the virtues of Christianity." - General George S. Patton, diary, June 9, 1943.

That sounds like a good plan to me. I am going to stick to my Cherokee for now. I've always wanted to rebuild a Cherokee and now I have the opportunity to do it. I am looking at putting a frame mounted exoskeleton roll cage on it. I have seen a number of XJ's with them and they look pretty stout. If I can get the exoskeleton then I'll definitely be able to stow gear on the roof, tow a trailer with add'l gear and still have room for the family inside.
    That would give you room to sleep in back if you needed and wanted to, I suppose. I haven't ruled out an old suburban and trailer. Think if I nee something that needs modification I'll just have to buy it that way! LOL What you're planning is way out of my league. Sounds like it will be an awesome BOV when you're done!
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.

JOSEPH WAS A PREPPER!
    NOAH WAS A PREPPER!
    I'M A PREPPER TOO!

Quote Originally Posted by JUSTIFIED View Post
    That would give you room to sleep in back if you needed and wanted to, I suppose. I haven't ruled out an old suburban and trailer. Think if I nee something that needs modification I'll just have to buy it that way! LOL What you're planning is way out of my league. Sounds like it will be an awesome BOV when you're done!
    Hey, if you can find a pre-owned suburban w/ a diesel engine, less than 100K miles, that would be a good way to go.

What I am planning on doing with the Cherokee should cost $10K, $12K at the most, and I basically get a brand new SUV. It beats buying new by damn sight. I have plotted the rebuild project out in Microsoft Project, collected most of the quotes for the work I need done, and planned it in phases. We have some top notch specialty Jeep shops here in town. They do some really good work. K
    "One cannot but ponder the question: what if the Arabs had been Christians? To me it seems certain that the fatalistic teachings of Mohammed and the utter degradation of women is the outstanding cause for the arrested development of the Arab. He is exactly what he was around the year 700, while we have kept on developing. Here, I think, is a text for some eloquent sermon on the virtues of Christianity." - General George S. Patton, diary, June 9, 1943.

Hey, if you can find a pre-owned suburban w/ a diesel engine, less than 100K miles, that would be a good way to go.

What I am planning on doing with the Cherokee should cost $10K, $12K at the most, and I basically get a brand new SUV. It beats buying new by damn sight. I have plotted the rebuild project out in Microsoft Project, collected most of the quotes for the work I need done, and planned it in phases. We have some top notch specialty Jeep shops here in town. They do some really good work. K
    You should post some pictures as you transform it. Would be interesting to see what you're doing.

Why diesel?

JOSEPH WAS A PREPPER!
    NOAH WAS A PREPPER!
    I'M A PREPPER TOO!

Quote Originally Posted by JUSTIFIED View Post
    You should post some pictures as you transform it. Would be interesting to see what you're doing.

Why diesel?
    Diesel engines run forever, diesel fuel stores better than gasoline, and it is possible to make biodiesel if you find yourself in a TEOTWAWKI situation. Just at thought.

I will definitely post photos as I proceed with the project.