FLIR Thermosight Pro 536 Current Specials HALO Medical Supplies
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Miked,
    theoreticallly, a hive can survive indefinitely. They can just keep making more brood and requeening with a new queen when the old queen stops laying. This is what I strive for with my hives. Sometimes I do intervene a bit rather than letting nature takes it's course. When a queen isn't laying as well as she should, I look to see if there are queen cells in the hive. If there are, I kill the old queen and let the hive raise a replacement queen. If there are no queen cells in the hive, I might steal a frame that has queen cells from another hive and put it in the hive with the weak queen. Then I kill off the old queen and let the bees raise their own new queen. This ensures there is always a strong queen in the hive.
    Unfortunately sometimes a queen will die when there are no queen cells in the hive and if nobody intervenes, the hive will eventually die off. I have never had a hive fail when I let them raise a new queen. I have had a hive reject a purchased (Russian) queen. They stung her to death.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    I have had a hive reject a purchased (Russian) queen. They stung her to death.
    Wow... Obviously the bees have a tougher immigration policy than Obama does!

Those are my kinda bees, No Commie Queens or Guns at my house! LOL
    Do the right thing, because it is the right thing to do!