FLIR Thermosight Pro 536 Current Specials HALO Medical Supplies
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    WILL

Keeping chickens costs more than they are worth

Chicken feed is now almost $16 a bag here. It's getting WAY cheaper to just buy the eggs at the supermarket. Only reason to keep them at this point is in case of catastrophic SHTF. I can

I wouldn't count on that being the case in the future. Feed prices are up, but the folks that sell eggs to the grocery store have a stockpile. Once they have to start buying at the higher prices, the cost of eggs will go up to suit.

Hold fast.

Veteran of Valor and all around awesome guy!
    Personally I prefer our own eggs, even if they may "cost more" than store bought. The fact that ours contain no antibiotics, growth hormones, or other additives is priceless.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    Member: Veterans of Foreign Wars, Vietnam Veterans of America, American Legion, AMVETS, Society of the Fifth Infantry Division

Isn't there a way to LTS eggs? Like dehydrate em or something where they actually taste good? I have been wondering this lately as we think of cheap easy ways to store more variety
    You know what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like this?

Will, theres alot of things like this such as deer hunting. The other side of the coin for me is that I know where my food comes from and really really enjoy that aspect. i remember a few years ago when the tomatoes were pulled cause everyone was geting sick and when they pulled the ground beef cause it had bacteria. I had deer i ground and fresh maters from the garden. Both were not cost totally effective but my family was safe. i know what you are saying but if it does collapse then you have to be self suffcient or capable of it very shortly afterwards anyway. I remember a traveling chicken coop that rolled around like one of them sprinklers so you didnt have to feed as much maybe someone can find the link and that would help you lower the cost
    dunno just a thought
    Knowledge is Power, Practiced Knowledge is Strength, Tested Knowledge is Confidence

Site Supporter and Beta Tester
    To follow up Matt's post, just google chicken tractor...then factor in the fertilizer they provide, insect and grub control, meat value and then recalculate just how much they cost you. Chances are you'll come a lot closer to breaking even!
    This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave. ~Elmer Davis

Quote Originally Posted by WiseOwl View Post
    Isn't there a way to LTS eggs? Like dehydrate em or something where they actually taste good? I have been wondering this lately as we think of cheap easy ways to store more variety

Pickled eggs last a while. I'm not sure how long since I can't keep my hands off them.

Quote Originally Posted by WiseOwl View Post
    You can put latex gloves on and coat them with mineral oil, WiseOwl. Put them back in the carton and they should keep at room tempurature for 9-12 months. the mineral oil mimicks the coating they have when they are laid.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.

Ronald Wilson Reagan (1911-2004)

JOSEPH WAS A PREPPER!
    NOAH WAS A PREPPER!
    I'M A PREPPER TOO!

[QUOTE=WILL;44888]Chicken feed is now almost $16 a bag here. It's getting WAY cheaper to just buy the eggs at the supermarket. Only reason to keep them at this point is in case of catastrophic SHTF. I can
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.

Ronald Wilson Reagan (1911-2004)

JOSEPH WAS A PREPPER!
    NOAH WAS A PREPPER!
    I'M A PREPPER TOO!

WILL
    Quote Originally Posted by JUSTIFIED View Post
    Will, how many chickens do you have and how long does a bag last? Just curious for the future.
    Right now I've got 13 teenager barred rocks and 10 older adult buff orpingtons. The adults are under alot of stress due to the summer heat and mosquitoes, so they aren't producing many eggs (normal summer results for Florida). The teenagers aren't laying yet. A 50# bag of feed lasts me about 2 weeks. At this point, I wish I would have chosen a breed of chicken that was more feed efficient, instead of my general purpose birds. At any rate, eggs are selling at the store for far cheaper than I can produce them. It was the same thing for tomatoes from my garden last season. It just seem like those who mass produce will always be able to do it cheaper than I. Like I said earlier, the chickens and garden are good for an all out SHTF where the stores aren't open, but if the stores working, they aren't worth the trouble.
    Last edited by WILL; 08-19-2012 at 05:52 AM.