FLIR Thermosight Pro 536 Current Specials HALO Medical Supplies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Earth Houses

Blog Entries

Earth Houses

I saw this place recently and thought I would share it.

http://www.hobbithollow.info/Hobbit_Hollow/Home.html
    "It's a trap!!!!" -- Admiral Ackbar

I wish the front wasn't so exposed. Love the idea though. Noticed the last pic was "community storage" is this some sort of commune or something? Anyways this should be great for fallout.

Silver Site Supporter 9/2011 Grinnan Barrett's Avatar
    Interesting site. My wife and I have been looking at earth sheltered homes for our place. We met the with guys in Italy, TX about domes as a base thus far. We are looking to cut out a bunch of utility costs if we can and give us a more secure home as well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish-Tech View Post
    I wish the front wasn't so exposed. Love the idea though. Noticed the last pic was "community storage" is this some sort of commune or something? Anyways this should be great for fallout.
    Right on the home page they state this:

In building this home, we had three goals in mind: 1) To provide gainful employment to people who need work and as a learning experience for them in the unique construction characteristics of earth sheltered housing. 2) To sell this home to someone who shares a vision of smart sustainable living and recoup building costs and 3) to continue in 2012 to build additional homes and create a small community of like minded individuals.

I may have to give them a call since they are near my AO and ask them some questions to see if they are truly "like minded" or not.
    "It's a trap!!!!" -- Admiral Ackbar

Go look at Cody Lundins pad. Self sufficient to the bone, bugs and all.
    You know what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like this?

I have always loved the idea of undergound or partially underground housing, recently being referred to as "sustainable". Here is one of my recent fav's, located near me, an undergound residence/bunker. Look through all six pages for additional pics. http://www.contractortalk.com/f31/un...-start-106496/

JPdiddy, great link. Any pics of the home after it was finished?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blog Entries
    Lot of earth to move with a Bobcat lol

Heavy and sturdy construction. But one of the points that was brought up in that thread was the dampness factor. I hope the folks are taking that into account. My neighbors over in Germany lives somewhat below the ground level (the apartment was on a slope) and had damp and mold problems the entire time they lived there. Only one wall out of four faced the earth so there is that problem.

But I do like the way they went with it. Especially the garage portion. No pics of the completed product?
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by Grand58742 View Post
    Lot of earth to move with a Bobcat lol

Heavy and sturdy construction. But one of the points that was brought up in that thread was the dampness factor. I hope the folks are taking that into account. My neighbors over in Germany lives somewhat below the ground level (the apartment was on a slope) and had damp and mold problems the entire time they lived there. Only one wall out of four faced the earth so there is that problem.

But I do like the way they went with it. Especially the garage portion. No pics of the completed product?
    Ditto on the mold issues we had on my first tour to Germany, we lived in a partial underground built in the side of a hill. The climate can really dictate what works
    Knowledge is Power, Practiced Knowledge is Strength, Tested Knowledge is Confidence

No, I looked everywhere I could think of and came up short. Just for clarification, I was no way involved with this project, I found that forum and thread when doing a google search for storm shelters and really liked what I saw, including their location near me. The contractor has a Facebook page, but it doesn't have even this much info. I think I read between the lines on a comment or two there that the owner didn't want his location or finished pics made public as it's probably more of a bunker than just a "run of the mill" underground house. We might have a closet prepper/survivalist over that way. I really want to see the end result!
    Last edited by jpdiddy; 10-06-2012 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Spelling