FLIR Thermosight Pro 536 Current Specials HALO Medical Supplies
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

starting the fun- my 1st few weeks of observations of living in a "new" rural area.

I havent been on as much as i should. But figured this would be the best forum for this thread.
    As some know i made the move to the "country" ,,well as country as i could afford and get to in my state LOL. What i will be posting will be some pro's cons and other stuff i have noticed.

We choose a place that was in that 30 mile to everything radius. Pro's. Im in a small town, shtf or sorts and i wont have to deal with the ghetto like i used to in my old area. Im close to MANY WMA's, parks, forest etc. This means more chances to provide wild game for me during non shtf times.Im close to many rivers and lakes..again a secondary food source ( pre shtf). Just yesterday i caught enough fish for one decent meal. I have land to plant on ( more later on that)
    Cons.
    distance to work, and goods. kinda explains itself, With gas prices going up it can hit the pocket book at times. LEO presence , there is some but not much fire/ems. WHile there is a station only 5 mins away major medical is again 30 miles away. People, while its a smaller more rural area some people can present problems aka the bad trashy neighbor scenario. Wild animals. Some may laugh at this but no one EVER talks about t his issue when day dreaming of moving to the retreat LOL I am an avid hiker/backpacker hunter etc. I know the rules about food,smells etc. However, if you have a nuisance animal in your area be prepared for it. Lucky for me i moved to an AO were a nuisance bear has taken up residence. After the second time our trash got scattered across our yard and new trash cans battered , we changed our trash methods. However the rest of my area has not. So mr. bear continues out of habit to return ( GFC has been contacted and we were laughed at told more or less - welcome to bear country..). While in some areas unique ways of handling this could be taken, but howver i cant..lol. Why is this an issue. One- safty to family, pets,live stock and property. This bear ( or any animal for that matter) will get braver over time. I have people i know that live 1-2 miles away who have encountered this bear, he is not afraid and has even broke into locked sheds to get to trash. He wasnt afraid of me at 15 ft..during my 1st encounter with him. So as yiou can imagine there will eventually be some issues with this animal. I now have a new fence with a bent section where this bear decided to just look around because he is used to people now.
    Power. Since we are in a semi rural area power outages happen at a higher rate than our old AO. Not a major deal now, but until i get a genny or a small AE system, im limited to what i can crank ,charge or put batteries in. water- not really an issue but again, if it goes down, it may take longer to get back up and running luckily i have well on site and a location less than 1/2 mile away with an artisan well/spring ,along with a few filters.

so enough of the yogi bear kick boo boo . lol

So far the most major changes weve made are time adjustments, and our washing( clothes) and trash removal habits. Doesnt seem like much, but when your how time frame changes it can mess with you. For me i have to leave for work early, and i get home late after picking up my child at a way point me and the wife have set up so she does make 2 extra trips into town. Again - gas/distance.
    Other than that, there is so much "good" . more so than my few lines posted above.
    Quite streets, no sirens ( well sometimes from the fire engines), no more roving groups of young upstanding urban youths. Sun rises and sun sets when i drive- i find that relaxing at times. Sitting on my porch and listening to the crickets and such. Owls, yelling at each other through the swamps . Having a garden finally. Which, having to clear land of sod, roots etc by hand if you havent tried it,,well its a work out LOL. But i have a modular garden plan in place and a bunch of late fall/winter..an late summer plants going. So i have a whole new skill set to learn...getting a multicam'd thumb LMAO. Only down side is maintaining a large yard,i really wanted a ton of land when i 1st was house shopping, now,,with what i have takes almost 2-3 to just keep it clean. Buut its fun work imho.

Ill add more later as i go...but i wanted to get some of these thoughts down before i forget or get sidetracked outdoors. every day is a project and every hour i aint working for da' man, ive had junk to do here...next day off will begetting a ladder and getting on my roof to fix a leak near our weather head before any major roof damage is done....fun times....LOL
    Hey Petunia...you dropped your man pad!

Glad your getting settled in.

bear tatse good
    Knowledge is Power, Practiced Knowledge is Strength, Tested Knowledge is Confidence

,i really wanted a ton of land when i 1st was house shopping, now,,with what i
    have takes almost 2-3 to just keep it clean. Buut its fun work imho.
    Everyone goes through this- the idea that the "ideal" retreat must be 50 acres or more. Maybe for a LARGE group retreat but honestly, too much land is a hindrance now and could be a hindrance later if TSHTF.

Usually it's someone that always lived with a poststamp backyard that thinks stuff like "I won't buy unless it's 50 acres or more." They have no idea the amount of time to mow and/or keep up 50 acres of land. We have considerably less than that and their are sections of the land that it will still be YEARS before we are working on/developing.

A small family on a homestead with the need for income (i.e, not a retired couple) can realistically only do some much in a small amount of time. People don't realize that till they actually start working the land.
    Boris- "He's famous, has picture on three dollar bill!"

Rocky- "Wow! I've never even seen a three dollar bill!"

Boris- "Is it my fault your poor?"

Quote Originally Posted by 1Admin View Post
    Everyone goes through this- the idea that the "ideal" retreat must be 50 acres or more. Maybe for a LARGE group retreat but honestly, too much land is a hindrance now and could be a hindrance later if TSHTF.

Usually it's someone that always lived with a poststamp backyard that thinks stuff like "I won't buy unless it's 50 acres or more." They have no idea the amount of time to mow and/or keep up 50 acres of land. We have considerably less than that and their are sections of the land that it will still be YEARS before we are working on/developing.

A small family on a homestead with the need for income (i.e, not a retired couple) can realistically only do some much in a small amount of time. People don't realize that till they actually start working the land.
    True words.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Admin View Post

yip.

our 1st " yard" day took well over 4 hours of hard clearing with 4 people and machines and teh rest of day to do clean up. I reclaimed a bunch that had been over grown. Just the general maintenance runs 2-3 hours with a borrowed rider/tractor. A push mower would mean i'd be pushing for a while. But im sure as time goes by it will quicken up as area's are cleaned up. Each weekend after that has been spent clearing this spot, that area,

The plus side ..i found a hidden irrigation line. With a riser only 4 ft from the gardens edge..LOL. which made me happy since it'll run off the well. but as old Han solo would say " i got a bad feeling about this.." when it comes to pressurizing those hidden lines LOL. I may have a few old faithfuls in the yard.

but yeah, i had the chit chat with the wife unit about time. They want chickens etc, but i told her,,each Am your looking at our routine now, plus garden, plus chickens ..then me doing the same when i get home at o-dark 30 once the time changes..true like you said folks dont know how much time some of this simple "stuff" takes up.

i did find an old clothes ringer in the shed...lubed it,cleaned it,attached it to the large sink in the work room..instant washing machine. Momma P got her 1st try at ringer her work rags yesterday,,,looked like she was feeding a gator the 1st rag she fed through it LOL. found out the waste water from that sink drains right outside into a french drain deal. Instant grey water for plants now!

oh.

compost. we started a pile that 1st weekend, and add to it with all veggie matter,coffe grounds, cut grass etc.
    about 1/3 of my " sqaush" in the garden sprouted from t hat pile LMAO. ive got peppers to and other stuff sprouting up,,,,kinda funny really,

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt In Oklahoma View Post
    bear tatse good
    yeah i know....;0

he's about 300 lbs. he bent a 1 1/2 steel pipe (even near a support pole) and curled over the chain link........
    wife and me ,talked about hitting the tractor supply for a electric fence deal.

I happy for you. We did the rural thing for a while and had to move back to town for the wifes health reasons. Had just an acre of mixed woods and it was work. good luck on the bear problem, like Matt said they taste good & make nice rugs.
    Survival question. What do I need most, right now?

Quote Originally Posted by protus View Post
    yeah i know....;0

he's about 300 lbs. he bent a 1 1/2 steel pipe (even near a support pole) and curled over the chain link........
    wife and me ,talked about hitting the tractor supply for a electric fence deal.
    can you not shoot that bad boy and make a rug?

Good stuff Protus, its nice to hear the trials and tribulations folks go through- especially when they are real and honest- and dont sugah coat em. Me and the Mrs are in the planning phases of doing this as well after uncle sam day next spring. As my two lil knuckleheads get older, I will have un hired help, but until then, its all me. Our move all depends on what the next few months have in store for a new job. We want to move outside of nashville, but wants and what we can swing are two different things.

I am have been doing a garden for years -except this one because of my move- so that wont be much of a task but I really want to try chickens. start out with egg layers then work my way to meat ones. I think this hunting season -my first ever- will teach me about killin and grillin and get me ready for home grocery store.

I look forward to hearing your adventures man. Good luck
    You know what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like this?

Blog Entries
    cant even fart at the bear with out the GFC fast roping in to my windows for a 3am no knock warrant for " wild life harassment...." LOL.

just gotta shore up the line and just report each time he tears something up