FLIR Thermosight Pro 536 Current Specials HALO Medical Supplies
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 135
  1. #21
    CAPSTONE MEMBER 610Alpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a galaxy not far enough away
    Posts
    2,745
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    The beauty of having horses is they mow and fertilize at the same time.
    Exactly the point I was making...I am working with my FIL to partition his pasture so that the horses will eat the pasture more evenly instead of just eating the spots they like the best. I am still trying to get a feeder calf thrown in with the horses. We buy 1/2 steer every spring and this year we paid basically $1.89/lb for hamburger, we bought it from a local family farmer. We then have it butchered at a family owned meat locker.
    "It's a trap!!!!" -- Admiral Ackbar

  2. #22
    Veteran of Valor and all around awesome guy!
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northeast Florida
    Posts
    703
    We have the property fenced and cross fenced and gates all over to allow the horses to be moved about to different areas, even up to and around the house. This cuts mowing down considerably, there are some areas that still have to be done - the chicken run for example.
    Even then, weed control along the fence lines is essential, some weeds (especially vineing type) will grow tall enough to short out the electric strand along the top. Then you've got 1400 pounds of horse leaning on your fence to get at the grass on the other side. It's a real heart breaker to be running hundreds of feet of fence (by hand) in 105 degree weather only to have a horse mess up what you just finished.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    Member: Veterans of Foreign Wars, Vietnam Veterans of America, American Legion, AMVETS, Society of the Fifth Infantry Division

  3. #23
    I do not have any livestock to help with the mowing, yet. The reason I cut so much grass is to discourage snakes abd other critters around the house. It has worked well so far. I love my place , and I am trying to preplan further improvements. 610alpha is correct in stating that working smarter saves time and sanity to some degree. There are alot of things we can learn from our past, if we will look to it.

  4. #24
    Administrator protus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    down here
    Posts
    3,305
    Blog Entries
    3
    610- why i mow.
    my yard is small, and we are semi rural. Trust me i wanted to be in the boonies but we couldnt swing it.We have a few neighbors on our sides, few small tracts and a few larger ones, most being in the 1/4 to 5 acre in size. Our "yard" is roughly like i said just under 1/2 acre with the rest being woods before it hits the neighbors land.
    Its not a ton of land under 2 acres.
    But price and location was right. Our payments are what most pay for a car ( heck the whole place cost as much as some 4x4 crew cabs these days ..its a 2x2 with sunroom, ultility room and iirc is just under 2400 sq ft)and we pay extra each month. If my math is right i'll have it paid for just after 20 yrs with what little extra we dump into it. just wanted to clear up that i dont have a ton of land LOL... just live on a good sized lot in a very small town. LOL

    The city we are in is small, 2-3 mins to drive through it from end to end( census shows 1800-2k in population). then nothing major for 30+ miles in most directions.

    one thing.

    we started storing seeds back around 07ish. We started our garden in planters till we could de grass/clear the area. Almsot 50% of what we planted never took . It could be the weather at the time etc but nothing took. Keep that in mind with older seeds. We stored them indoors, in their paper bags in a closet.


    people who let their dogs run wild...another sore spot for me right now LOL
    Hey Petunia...you dropped your man pad!

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by protus View Post
    we started storing seeds back around 07ish. We started our garden in planters till we could de grass/clear the area. Almsot 50% of what we planted never took . It could be the weather at the time etc but nothing took. Keep that in mind with older seeds. We stored them indoors, in their paper bags in a closet.
    but but but the guy at the gunshow said if I bought this pvc pipe vault full of heirloom superfood groups i would make it when skynet joined forces with .gov and monsanto to form the nwo and it would stay hidden when they, them, the man, the MIB, came door to door to take my seeds away because they had my name from the cannery they got while they were training in LA for the revolution front food riots soon to be caused by the planetary alignments dated by the mayans whos secrets are protected by the secret culture of the illuminati which is really run by the kid that works at the tacobell, man i hate that kid always jukes me outta my mild sauce cause he knows, yes he knows
    Glad to hear a real report of the truth for a change
    Knowledge is Power, Practiced Knowledge is Strength, Tested Knowledge is Confidence

  6. #26
    CAPSTONE MEMBER 610Alpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a galaxy not far enough away
    Posts
    2,745
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by protus View Post
    610- why i mow.
    my yard is small, and we are semi rural. Trust me i wanted to be in the boonies but we couldnt swing it.We have a few neighbors on our sides, few small tracts and a few larger ones, most being in the 1/4 to 5 acre in size. Our "yard" is roughly like i said just under 1/2 acre with the rest being woods before it hits the neighbors land.
    Its not a ton of land under 2 acres.
    But price and location was right. Our payments are what most pay for a car ( heck the whole place cost as much as some 4x4 crew cabs these days ..its a 2x2 with sunroom, ultility room and iirc is just under 2400 sq ft)and we pay extra each month. If my math is right i'll have it paid for just after 20 yrs with what little extra we dump into it. just wanted to clear up that i dont have a ton of land LOL... just live on a good sized lot in a very small town. LOL

    The city we are in is small, 2-3 mins to drive through it from end to end( census shows 1800-2k in population). then nothing major for 30+ miles in most directions.
    I didn't think you had tons of acres. I do understand how even those small towns like people to keep their yards mowed no matter how big they are I spent my high school years in a town about that size, needless to say I preferred the country my town wasn't that great of a place. I have seen people move out into the country with 10+ acres and they think they have to mow it all and then they say they don't have time for anything and that was what I was trying to address.

    A couple of acres is a great place to start...

    My FIL made a new door in his hay barn so that he can back in a wagon of hay and unload/stack it easier than the way we used to for the small square bales that is. For the large square bales he does that with his JD hobby farm tractor, that thing is nice. About 2 years ago we built a hay chute for the large square bales, 1 would last 4-6 adult horses about a week, saved them from having to take hay to them every day.

    I was thinking about a time saver for watering animals using a float pump but you would have to watch out for it running forever....hmmm I will have to think about that one some more.

    Hopefully your small town is cool with some small livestock those small towns sometimes have old laws on the books so watch out for that.

    You're Living the Dream!!! Let us know how that irrigation line works out.
    "It's a trap!!!!" -- Admiral Ackbar

  7. #27
    Administrator protus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    down here
    Posts
    3,305
    Blog Entries
    3
    on livestock, i know most folks have chickens. i can hear thier roosters.the one neighbor had a few but they got "attacked" somehow. either by a dog or maybe that bear. We have a large 16x16+ pole barn/ fenced/ pen area that could house either chickens, pigs and small goats if i wanted to close it in more. Chickens will be the 1st things we get and mostly for the eggs,then meat later on.
    i get what you were saying i just wanted to be clear so no one got the idea i had 600 acres or something LMAO.

    small town thrift stores are cool places.
    i picked up a broadcast spreader for only 10$..and 2 therma rest seats and 2 candle lantern refill packs for 8$...
    Hey Petunia...you dropped your man pad!

  8. #28
    CAPSTONE MEMBER 610Alpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a galaxy not far enough away
    Posts
    2,745
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by protus View Post
    on livestock, i know most folks have chickens. i can hear thier roosters.the one neighbor had a few but they got "attacked" somehow. either by a dog or maybe that bear. We have a large 16x16+ pole barn/ fenced/ pen area that could house either chickens, pigs and small goats if i wanted to close it in more. Chickens will be the 1st things we get and mostly for the eggs,then meat later on.
    i get what you were saying i just wanted to be clear so no one got the idea i had 600 acres or something LMAO.

    small town thrift stores are cool places.
    i picked up a broadcast spreader for only 10$..and 2 therma rest seats and 2 candle lantern refill packs for 8$...

    Now I am envious...thats a decent sized pole barn that you can do a lot with. Sounds like your neighbors could be some good resources of info with them having livestock as well. Nice score on the place I would say from the sounds of it.
    Last edited by 610Alpha; 09-18-2012 at 08:42 AM.
    "It's a trap!!!!" -- Admiral Ackbar

  9. #29
    Veteran of Valor and all around awesome guy!
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northeast Florida
    Posts
    703
    Protus, please excersize due care with your chickens. They are dependant on you for protection from 4 legged (and winged) predators.
    To those who want chickens but don't have any experience, there are two forums I highly recommend:
    http://www.backyardchickens.com/ and http://www.chickenforum.com/forum.php
    Backyard chickens is more than just a forum, there's lots and lots of info there. I highly recommend it.

    I once was a city boy, but now I'm a certified chicken wrangler!
    "Head 'em up, move 'em out, Rawhide!"
    Last edited by rice paddy daddy; 09-18-2012 at 09:21 AM.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    Member: Veterans of Foreign Wars, Vietnam Veterans of America, American Legion, AMVETS, Society of the Fifth Infantry Division

  10. #30
    2015 Silver Site supporter Rmplstlskn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    1,512
    Welcome to the semi-rural lifestyle... Lots of work but not as much emptiness as one would like. I too have found rural neighbors can often NOT be the neighbors you want in a SHTF event. Fake friendly in good times, but you can see all over them and their words that when things get bad they will be out for #1, even if it means taking from or harming you to get it... And they know how to shoot that deer rifle they have in ambush from years of hunting, even if it is now you in the crosshair... There are thugs everywhere it seems...

    Sounds like you will need a homesteading blog now... LOL!
    -=> Rmplstlskn <=-

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •