FLIR Thermosight Pro 536 Current Specials HALO Medical Supplies
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    WILL
    Quote Originally Posted by Grantmeliberty View Post
    Last week an MRE from the early 90's that had lived in my car for some years, and the outer plastic had torn. The M&M's inside had been attacked by sugar ants, but the beef stew was still as good as its ever going to be. The chocolate covered oatmeal cookie and hard cracker were both OK, but the jalepeno cheese spread had been torn and compromised so I didn't eat it. I believe that a major part of the stability of MRE's is because they are irradiated to complete sterility.
    Thanks, that's good to know. I've got some that are expired by a few years and was debating throwing them out. Now I'm going to keep them.

Well, I ate a can of chunky chicken soup just a few months ago that had expired (I don't know the exact date but it was over a year) and I was good and sick from it the next day. Can't say that I watch the expiration dates that much (obviously) but I don't think I would try it again.

sorry to hear about the chunky chicken, becky.

today my first wife made some banana bread, (with some clearly "expired bananas) and i topped it off with some smuckers butterscotch flavored syrup topping. after enjoying the treat i got to looking at the amount of calories, sugar, etc.. on the label and noticed the best if bought by date. feb. 2007
    i'm beginning to think we don't have any new food.

NO SOUP FOR YOU!
    You know what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like this?

black eyed peas...

it's new years day... it's a required food item.
    the bride thought she had some in the pantry... nope...
    found some dried black eyed peas that were in original light plastic bag sold by walmart.
    they had been stored for most of time that we had them in a flimsy plastic storage box..
    looks like something you might store blankets or extra clothes in... for the last year they've been in a secure structure not household temperature. before that.. beans stored inside house with a/c and heater.

best buy date was november 2011... we don't remember when we bought them...
    several years ago we did a little "dry" canning with a farmer and his wife and bought up a bunch of
    beans... these could go back to that date?? i would guess 5 years ago?

so far beans look good, smell good, and they'll be on my plate in about 30 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
    black eyed peas...

it's new years day... it's a required food item.
    the bride thought she had some in the pantry... nope...
    found some dried black eyed peas that were in original light plastic bag sold by walmart.
    they had been stored for most of time that we had them in a flimsy plastic storage box..
    looks like something you might store blankets or extra clothes in... for the last year they've been in a secure structure not household temperature. before that.. beans stored inside house with a/c and heater.

best buy date was november 2011... we don't remember when we bought them...
    several years ago we did a little "dry" canning with a farmer and his wife and bought up a bunch of
    beans... these could go back to that date?? i would guess 5 years ago?

so far beans look good, smell good, and they'll be on my plate in about 30 minutes
    Hey, I thought dried beans and peas and such were good for like 20 years??? At least I hope so... I put up several, several pounds of them in my long term food storage. Of course, they're in mylar bags with oxy absorbers, inside sealed 5 gal. buckets, in the basement...

Regarding "Best by" dates... the folks were over awhile back for a family gathering. My dad is a so-called "beer expert" I gave him a cold one I found hiding in the back of the fridge. He said it tasted Great!! Then I showed him the date on the can... 3 years past the date.

We're still on speaking terms...

RR, we quit eating Collards and Black Eyed Peas 2 years ago, going on year 3 of not going with MawMaws traditions.
    The last 2 years have been the best of my adult life.

The Mrs. WO did hook up a roast, some home made mac and cheese, and some organo cornbread.

Stinks NY is on a Tuesday, what a waste of a holiday during a work week
    You know what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like this?

ham, peas, greens, maize, fried corn bread - lace, n' sweet pickles.

hey! mebbe ole si will shair some o hisun, hey.
    Last edited by rockriver; 01-02-2013 at 06:17 AM.

it was wet. i was tired. it was cold.
    time for soup and sandwich..

peanut butter... jif crunchy.. best if used by june 2010.

Administrator
    Some food lasts well beyond the exp. date if it remains unopened and stored in a dark, fairly cool environment. Peanut butter and cooking oil fit the bill. Canned foods are fine unless the cans start leaking/bulging; nutrient content may deteriorate, but the food can generally still be eaten. Forget anything tomato-based since the acid is going to kill the can! If the integrity of the container has been maintained, and the food smells/looks like it should, it will likely keep your backbone and stomach from merging. Proceed at your own risk, and remember that expiration dates are either meaningful or a tool for manufacturer liability reduction. Just depends on what's in there....