JRH Products
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Good to know the Tootsie Rolls were still good after 15 yrs. The Pound Cake was still good after all those years? If so, that will be a great food to store. Thanks

Payday candy bars and small packs of Planter peanuts are still good after one year in very cold and very hot storage. I was surprised. M & M's lasted with only a small "shrink" of the chocolate. Grapenuts smelled old.

new years day means black eyed peas...
    the wife got out a glass jar with a clamp? type lid that sealed it... we don't remember when the peas were put in there... probably 5 + years ago..
    so. no expiration date... she started soaking them dec. 31 about 2 p.m...
    cooked them for an hour or two on low boil... with a little ham!
    good, but needed to have soaked another half day.

then yesterday, she cooked some soup. used macaroni noodles that had been put in same type jar (with the clamp type lid) for 5+ years..
    that normal soup cooking time she used and noodles were great...

Site supporter and beta tester
    Working on a case of Nalley's chili right now that 'expired' in 2011. Mmmm, tastes great!
    Brokedownbiker

If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Gov't, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin
    Sam Adams

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
    John Adams

Last week I ate a can of Spam that had a 2011 date and suffered no ill effects.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

this ain't soup, but....

I've got a ?cold? allergy? something?
    anyhow, got up in the night digging through medicines, and found some red throat medicine...
    chloraseptic throat spray.
    sprayed and it worked great.
    I looked at it the next morning... "exp may 90"
    instructions say use every 2 hours as needed... that's correct - about 2 hours later, I use it again..

EDITED TO ADD
    Warning... 24 years for this OTC medicine may be too long!
    I'm taking some other medications that are dr. prescribed..
    I've had all of the dr. prescribed meds before and no bad reaction.
    something is causing a "negative" reaction...
    possibly the age of the chloraseptic... possibly a combination of this OTC and
    the antihistime or the antibiotic or the loratidine??
    I don't know, but I'm putting the rest of this chloraseptic bottle down the drain..

rr
    Last edited by rockriver; 03-23-2014 at 03:05 PM. Reason: 24 years may be too long!!

2015 Silver Site supporter Rmplstlskn's Avatar
    Had a Mountain House POUCH Beef Stew that was bought in 1999 pre-Y2K... Pouches are supposed to be less than 5 years...

Everything inside look still well freeze-dried. It was edible. Let it soak longer to get the beef chunks soft. Not bad for 14 year old MH pouch... As for nutrients, I don't know, but it filled me and gave me energy to go back outside and work...

Rmpl
    -=> Rmplstlskn <=-

I also ate some chunky chicken soup expired 2009. It was fine although it did taste a little tinny. No problems with health.

Quote Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
    this ain't soup, but....

I've got a ?cold? allergy? something?
    anyhow, got up in the night digging through medicines, and found some red throat medicine...
    chloraseptic throat spray.
    sprayed and it worked great.
    I looked at it the next morning... "exp may 90"
    instructions say use every 2 hours as needed... that's correct - about 2 hours later, I use it again..

EDITED TO ADD
    Warning... 24 years for this OTC medicine may be too long!
    I'm taking some other medications that are dr. prescribed..
    I've had all of the dr. prescribed meds before and no bad reaction.
    something is causing a "negative" reaction...
    possibly the age of the chloraseptic... possibly a combination of this OTC and
    the antihistime or the antibiotic or the loratidine??
    I don't know, but I'm putting the rest of this chloraseptic bottle down the drain..

rr
    Any pharmacist could probably tell you about interactions between all the stuff you're on.

back to the chloraseptic sore throat spray... I tossed the real old bottle... and am using one that expired in 2006.
    no negative symptoms!
    thanks mike. good suggestion.