JRH Products

Thread: Rope Plant

Rope Plant

This is the plant in Florida i use to make rope.

rope plant 1.jpg

rope plant 2.jpg

It's name is Yucca filamentosa or Adams needle.

I will post how I do this process and rope I have made.

This is a work in process so anything anyone might not understand please ask questions.

Also anyone having anything to add including other material to make plants with/processes please feel free to share

Looking forward to it. I've done a few post on yucca uses here as well

http://www.survivalandpreparednessfo...ighlight=yucca

http://www.survivalandpreparednessfo...ighlight=yucca

Glad to see a usable skills post
    Knowledge is Power, Practiced Knowledge is Strength, Tested Knowledge is Confidence

Thanks for the links Matt. The process is the same no matter what material you use. We just have to make sure the matrerial is durable enough.

This is some babies at my place. I am starting a rope plant farm. I have 5 growing now on my property.

rope plant 4.jpg

This is a more mature one, but not at my place.

Rope plant 7.jpg

Here is the leaves I take from the plant. I try to get the ones that fall closer to the ground and are ready to fall off. You can use fresh or old, as long as not rotten.

Rope plant 5.jpg

This is the individual leaves.

Rope plant 6.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry to many pics.

this is the rope I made.

Rope plant 9.jpg

Rope Plant 10.jpg

Ok I will try to get the pics up of how to know it is good to use as rope, and process of breaking it down. hopefully later tonight.
    Last edited by Chief; 01-13-2013 at 08:32 PM.

Break down process-

first the material will be strong you can not just pull it apart.

Her I am trying to show me pulling hard on the plant. I have also tied my hands behind my back and in front and have been unable to break thru. I don't think I have that much pansy in me either.

rope 2.jpg

then once you find it a stong plant/bark you start to break material down.

rope 1.jpg

rope 3.jpg

rope 4.jpg

Till you get to something like this, Remember that this has plant fibers on it and will fall off over time.

It is the straight piece of fiber in the pic above the others.

rope 5.jpg

another post because I don't know how many pics per post.

Part 2-

A look at all those tiny fibers that make the rope.

rope 6.jpg

rope 7.jpg

All done with this pile.

rope 8.jpg

the top left is waste probably go into compost. The very top is the small pieces that I will try to make thread and such, never done before so I will post my results. Middle and bottom layers the 2 longest will be put to use for general purpse rope making.

Some of the waste was becasue the leaves where just to decomposed, the best to work with is green, but I do not know how much to take to not kill the plant. I am also trying to get them to reproduce and get bigger so I am not messing with the green leaves as of yet. I know some more mature ones and I will get some green leaves off of them and show ya.

Next step will be the rope making.

I am sorry been a little bit work is takin it out of me.

OK after you break down your material then it is time to start making rope. I will do little parts.

get three strands that you want to start out with. This will be a good size round for general rope.

tie 5.jpg

Bend your frist strand in a U shape

tie 4.jpg

Second strand in a U shape, but this one a little off kilter on the tips like shown in picture. So they will not line up.

tie 3.jpg

Now the third one a little off then the first and second one. Basicy a inch or two off from the other ones. this is not set in stone so it des not have to be perfect.

Tie 2.jpg

Ok will post next one this weekend.

I have not forgotten about this thread, it is just coming into the hard part. trying to explain the movement/action in making the thread with pictures. I am kind of rehearsing and how to put it into words, it is something that is a lot easier taught in person.