FLIR Thermosight Pro 536 Current Specials HALO Medical Supplies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pot Belly Stove

Pot Belly Stove

A friend gave me the water heater out of his RV. It measures 14" high by 12 in diameter. I got lookin' at it, and remembered an Instructable that I saw sometime back for making a cook stove out of a propane bottle. (not for me) But this water heater just might fit the bill. I started cutting into it this afternoon. With the exception of a small rust hole, overall it seems very sound.

I have a canvas wall tent that I use a small folding wood burner in. I've always had a penchant for wood burning stoves.

Wish me luck!

Pot belly.jpg
    God does not believe in atheists. Therefore atheists do not exist.

Would you be kind enough to post pics of your progress, I find it helpful if I step by step. Thanx I hope im not asking to much.

This is gonna be a neat build though I don't miss stove duty at night
    Knowledge is Power, Practiced Knowledge is Strength, Tested Knowledge is Confidence

Blog Entries
    Back when I came in the military a couple of Ummm, errr, years, yeah, we'll say years ago we had an old pot belly coal stove we used in NJ. Was a warm thing when you got it going and kept it going. Problem was making sure one of those city slicker types didn't load it up with wet coal to the tune of six inches deep.

Don't ask me how I know. Or which person had to help get it restarted in below freezing temps lol.

Project looks really worthwhile and interesting. As already requested, would love to see progress photos.
    Last edited by Grand58742; 08-13-2013 at 06:26 AM.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

As per the requests, here are some more pictures. The top and bottom both had to be patched, where the anodes went through. The big hole in the top is where the burn stack was located to facilitate the water heating. I will incorporate it as the chimney. It's rough looking, but once I put the top on and cut out the door I think it will turn out fine for the intended use. I bought a 3/8 stick of rebar to fashion a grate to hold the wood. I will post more later, thanks for the encouraging words.

In progress.jpgAsh clean out.jpgTop.jpgTop with pipe and template of heat surface.jpg

Blog Entries
    Looking nice so far. Amazing how something most would consider trash could turn out to be so useful

Looks good now for some cold weather and a test!
    Knowledge is Power, Practiced Knowledge is Strength, Tested Knowledge is Confidence

Looks good, thanks for the pictures

Built and installed the rebar grate. So far the rebar is the only thing I've purchased. I layed out the door, it measures 6x6 and sits 2" above the grate. Put a latch on the ash clean out door. Now I'm thinking about ice fishin' once the hunts are over. Hopefully this little guy will warm up a shack on the pond.

Grate.jpg

6 In Door.jpg

p.s. By all means feel free to make a comment, or if you know of a better way to do something, let me hear it.

Thanks
    JM
    Last edited by Long Shot; 08-20-2013 at 06:38 PM.

Blog Entries
    I see you welded the grates in. Just an observation:

I personally might have raised it another two inches or so to give more air the chance to get underneath and the opportunity for the ashes to have a place to fall without killing the oxygen. Inch maybe?

Is it possible for you to weld in maybe some L brackets to give the rebar something to sit on instead of welding it to the side? Might make clean up a little easier if you could remove the grating. Know it's probably not possible at this point, but in the future if you do it again?