FLIR Thermosight Pro 536 Current Specials HALO Medical Supplies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Canned Beef Stew

Several years ago I picked up a case of canned beef stew from Costco. It was an brand I had never heard of before. It was really good! Of course as most things I like at Costco go, they quit carrying it, and I have forgotten the name of it. So, what kinds of canned beef stew do y'all find to be most palatable and where do you get it.

My favorite is Dinty Moore Beef Stew.

Blog Entries
    I'll be honest, I have yet to find a beef stew in the can that I like other than Campbells Chunky. The rest invokes the old movie quote from Crocodile Dundee about "tastes like...but you can live on it."

I actually prefer the MRE beef stew to the canned stuff lol
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Site Supporter and Beta Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand58742 View Post
    I actually prefer the MRE beef stew to the canned stuff lol
    My kids LOVE the stew out of MREs! Every time we go camping they ask to take a pouch.
    אני אעמוד עם ישו וישראל

My favorite is home made, home canned :-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xdpatriot View Post
    My kids LOVE the stew out of MREs! Every time we go camping they ask to take a pouch.
    Funny thing? That's one of the few meals that hasn't changed throughout the entire MRE menu, ever. I remember the old brown pouches minus the heaters and having that one. And the new ones still have the same beef stew (could be the same ones for all I know lol).

Having heard all the horror stories about MRE's and never having served in the military, I have never tried MRE's. I guess I'll have to go out and get some so I can try this beef stew. I'm still not giving up on finding some good canned. Dinty Moore is good but this other stuff I had was really good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
    Having heard all the horror stories about MRE's and never having served in the military, I have never tried MRE's. I guess I'll have to go out and get some so I can try this beef stew. I'm still not giving up on finding some good canned. Dinty Moore is good but this other stuff I had was really good.
    The new ones aren't quite as bad as the old ones, especially if you heat them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
    Several years ago I picked up a case of canned beef stew from Costco. It was an brand I had never heard of before. It was really good! Of course as most things I like at Costco go, they quit carrying it, and I have forgotten the name of it. So, what kinds of canned beef stew do y'all find to be most palatable and where do you get it.
    You might try asking the manager if their purchase records go back that far. If so, then he might be able to tell you the brand and the manufacturer. Maybe not, but it might be worth a shot. They sell Kirkland's products, maybe that was it.
    Funny that you mentioned COSTCO. I had a membership there a couple years back, but the loss of a job about that time kept me from renewing my membership.
    Now that I have a steady job again, I'm considering another one to start restocking deeper. I do pretty well with local sale ads and coupons, but a wholesale warehouse like COSTCO or SAM'S CLUB is a goldmine for preppers and survivalists. Well worth the initial membership cost for sure.

Almost forgot, Dinty Moore is my go to stew. As a matter of fact, I just got some more yesterday. I've ate a couple off brands before, but can't remember the brands right off hand.
    Doesn't mater in a SHTF situation.....food is food.
    Last edited by DIM TIM; 11-03-2013 at 07:09 PM.
    "It has been said that preparedness and being prepared promotes fear. This isn't true.......being UNPREPARED is what promotes fear"

Dinty Moore is one of my favorites, but we've been buying the store brand at Aldi's and to me, it tastes darn close to Dinty... And the price is a lot less too. However, their website shows they only operate in half the country..