DBAL-I2 IR Laser with IR Illuminator

Trijicon Miniature Rifle Optic (MRO
FLIR Scout TK
Mt. House Freeze Dried 1-Month Starter Unit

Podast- heating and keeping warm

dec1513z.zip

Various considerations covered.

You can sit in the shade, take a siesta and drink more water in the heat, but in the winter dealing with the temperature is a different story.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

I have cut and split my fair share, processing firewood is hard work. ESPECIALLY splitting without a hydraulic splitter. You haven't lived until you have had to use several splitting wedges and sledgehammers to split a 4 foot pine round. Forget about doing it with black oak or gnarly wet pine. I can't imagine having to lay up several chord every year using a two man buck saw and splitting it by hand.. I seriously could not imagine doing that. Thanks for the podcast RH!!

Listen guys I just split another cord of pine today. Its hard work. If you are getting ready to set up a retreat or have property that you intend to bug out to take this into consideration. Wood IS essential in many environments and you need to make plans for getting it put up ahead of time. Its just like food ,,, put it up now.... another great podcast thanks RH

In fact as a after thought I may do a video on splitting wood with sledge and wedges vs a hydraulic splitter.
    Last edited by justanothergunnut; 01-16-2014 at 08:33 PM.

Gold Site Supporter 2014 thank you! 610Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What irritates me about most of the hydraulic log splitters out there is that the wedge is a only a 2way. Why even mess around at least make it a 4 way or 6 way...or give people a choice.

I understand that some of the splitters might be under powered, easy enough only offer the 4 way and 6 way splitter on the ones that have enough power.

What I like about Paul Wheaton is that he isn't about the social justice (hippie types of permaculture) he wants people to make a LOT of money at permaculture.
    "If you will live like no one else, later on you can live like no one else." -- Dave Ramsey

Yes the standard splitting edge sucks. My brother told me that IIRC Northern tool had an accessory that was a 4 way wedge that you could change out the standard two way on a splitter. Dunno if the source is correct???

I have gotten to where I can pretty much tell by the type of wood just how much splitting it will need. Some make a nice break right after the wedge applies some pressure. On these I usually just bring the wedge down enough to get the round split, then raise the wedge while simultaneously turning the round to make another split. Sometimes the first split isn't all the way through and so the second split it run further down, effectively making it into fourths and completely the first break.

A hydraulic splitter is basically just a labor/time saver. Ours sits for most of the year but for the month or so it sees usage here and there, it's invaluable as all get out. Also, unlike a heavy maul, any of the family can use it. Splitting and stacking is a good family activity. We have a couple wheelbarrows going with the boy alternating empties right near the splitter so I can toss right into the barrow after they are split. He wheels them over and him and the wife stack while I "feed the monster."
    Boris- "He's famous, has picture on three dollar bill!"

Rocky- "Wow! I've never even seen a three dollar bill!"

Boris- "Is it my fault your poor?"

The wife and I have been splitting red oak lately, talk about easy splitting! No wedge just a maul. can't afford a splitter.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Admin View Post
    Yes the standard splitting edge sucks. My brother told me that IIRC Northern tool had an accessory that was a 4 way wedge that you could change out the standard two way on a splitter. Dunno if the source is correct???

I have gotten to where I can pretty much tell by the type of wood just how much splitting it will need. Some make a nice break right after the wedge applies some pressure. On these I usually just bring the wedge down enough to get the round split, then raise the wedge while simultaneously turning the round to make another split. Sometimes the first split isn't all the way through and so the second split it run further down, effectively making it into fourths and completely the first break.

A hydraulic splitter is basically just a labor/time saver. Ours sits for most of the year but for the month or so it sees usage here and there, it's invaluable as all get out. Also, unlike a heavy maul, any of the family can use it. Splitting and stacking is a good family activity. We have a couple wheelbarrows going with the boy alternating empties right near the splitter so I can toss right into the barrow after they are split. He wheels them over and him and the wife stack while I "feed the monster."
    Thanks for the tip about Norther Tool.

I found two on their site:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...6298_200326298 $79.99 on sale now for 10 bucks less. bolt on accessory

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...ct_28657_28657 $99.99 this is a slip on accessory

Major time saver if you can upgrade your splitter and you can quantify this very easily.
    "If you will live like no one else, later on you can live like no one else." -- Dave Ramsey

Blog Entries
    I just found this slip on 6 way splitter on google images...if a guy had a metal fab shop he could be making some $$.

6 way splitter.jpg

This one is from the UK but the store didn't seem to sell it separately.