FLIR Thermosight Pro 536 Current Specials HALO Medical Supplies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snow-M-G

Snow-M-G

Holy cow central and south ga will "hopefully" get some snow tomorrow. Here on the last range we are projected 3-4inches. That's enough to shut down the county.
    Is anyone doing anything extra to get ready?

We brought more wood up to the house and made sure we had no branches near our power line. I already have some warm stuff in the car so if I break down or skid off the road I won't freeze.

Hope the boss lets us all go after lunch ma
    You know what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like this?

2013 GOLD Contributing Member, thank you motesjm's Avatar
    Nothing special here other than test firing the generator. The line that feeds our house runs through a couple miles of pine plantation, so I'm sure power crews are going to be busy busy. I wish I had serviced my saw in case I have to cut my way out of the driveway, but its a little late for that now.

Schools are out here tomorrow and Wednesday. I may try to cut out of work early Wednesday and watch the kids play.

As my 10 yo son said "Dad, its gonna be epic!"

putting wood nearer to the house and under a tarp... good idea!
    chainsaw... great idea. oops.. I didn't deal with chain.
    generator... this one is especially embarrassing... small one won't crank. probably varnish in gas.
    larger one has flat tires on trailer portion... will try to get it and saw up to speed.
    have discussed options with neighbors.

edited to add..
    on generator...
    a tie down strap finally got tires
    bowed out enough to hold air.
    but gear box (low on juice) uses a wt I didn't have on hand.. in emergency I'd used the "wrong weight oil" but no emergency yet.

dawned on me that the old tractor this is hooked to isn't much of a theft target..
    but.. in an emergency ... the old tractor and a shiny generator would be... cleaned out a spot to enclose it in a shed.
    Last edited by rockriver; 01-28-2014 at 02:22 PM. Reason: update generator info.

not much snow not much ice but a disaster in ga.
    on my end of the state... just looks like a good salting...
    I'd planned to travel north of Atlanta to take care of some family situation, that would take a couple of days.
    --
    but with concerns for "no power" I stayed home. now I realize I wouldn't have made it.. with blocked roads... even with a 4x4..
    --
    an elderly couple (85 and 81 retired dr and nurse) had been visiting us... they left Tuesday morning against advice.
    they quit answering their phone. family got worried. finally, last night, about 8;30 pm we got a call. they had pulled over on the north side of Atlanta. hotels were full.. they were inside a quickie food place, behind a line of 50 waiting to be served. they had tried to get off the interstate several times, but the exit ramps were blocked...
    dr is a great driver, but losing eyesight, so he doesn't/can't drive at night. nurse just isn't a good driver. somehow, they had made it that far with nurse driving the last 3.5 hours, watching wreck after wreck... they didn't answer their phones because they were doing their best to watch the roads and other drivers. they didn't say they were scared, but. I suspect.
    they have blankets in car and were considering just spending night in car. they were able to stay inside the quickie diner. I live several hours from them and think I could drive it, but problem is roads are so blocked. (google traffic cameras Atlanta)
    so for them the shtf "snow hit the fan"
    quickie diner has heat, lights, food.
    doctors son called... he is out of state... real smart guy... makes fun of my concerns for the country... in 2007 he and brothers told me how it was impossible for their to be banking/brokerage/stock fall... smart guys, hospital admin. college prof. social worker mgr.
    he's telling me what is going to happen to care for his parents.
    we're getting them a hotel.. (I'd already checked - no hotels available inside the perimeter interstate 285 that surrounds atlanta)
    we're getting them a taxi.... ( I'd already checked. they'd quit operating... roads not available)
    for 2 hours we talked... I finally gave him info to pull up traffic cameras... I told him I'd go get them when the roads were passable.

I think this was the first time dr's son was not able to make something happen with the power of his personality, money, influence,
    "take ya dough" training...
    i hated the desperation i heard in son's voice... the dr and wife have been awesome help to many in our family.
    but their are times when sometimes the shtf...
    we have an associate who is a military helicopter officer. i thought about calling him, but he's in the hospital.
    sometimes, you just run out of options.

praying for dr and wife... and a whole passle of other folks stranded in Atlanta.

RockRiver,

I am sorry to hear about your friends... I am praying for all that are stuck in this weather.

Do you think the son might a "light bulb" moment from this?

I can not believe the changes in our society in the last 20+ years (I sound like my father). Years ago when Atl would get snow yes it would shutdown the town for a day maybe 2 but it really was not a big deal... Today it becomes a SHTF for many. I mean if a couple of inches of snow is all it takes to shutdown pretty much the south east these days then we are in for a world of hurt if we get a real problem. I mean these people can not be left to take care of themselves for 24 hours without having issues. If the city/county can not help you with just a little snow than what happens when we get that 100 year snow event and you get 18+ inches in Center GA and 2+ feet in TN/SC/NC areas? Or the random chance we get 2 of these little dustings back to back.

I personally know 8 people who either themselves or spouse slept on the interstate yesterday.
    One friend drove 10 miles on his 4 wheeler down I-20 to get his wife.

People with babies with only 1 bottle and 1 diaper make me sick.

Folks stuck with a pair of Nikes on and a light coat.

My brother slid off the road, left his van walked 3 miles, hitched a ride, met his wife and got home. If there is a will , there is a way.

Another friends' husband walked 9 miles this morning. Luckily he was smart and got into a hotel early yesterday.

9 miles in normal conditions is a piece of cake, 9 miles in this was a nightmare!
    You know what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like this?

2013 Site Supporter jimmycthemd's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It took me 7 hours to go 12 miles. On the way I helped push 6 folks out of the ditch. One lady was wearing high heals with no walking shoes and a light coat. No water, no food, no clothing and almost out of gas. These people are nuts!! Luckily, I was able to clear the way and didn't have to walk...but was prepared to if the need arose.
    "Common sense might be common but it is by no means wide spread." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycthemd View Post
    One lady was wearing high heals with....no clothing...
    Where was she going???

Sorry mind in the gutter.

2013 Site Supporter jimmycthemd's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Not_Yet_Prepped View Post
    Where was she going???

Sorry mind in the gutter.
    Good point...I didn't stick around to ask LOL
    "Common sense might be common but it is by no means wide spread." Mark Twain