FLIR Thermosight Pro 536 Current Specials HALO Medical Supplies

Thread: $52K

$52K

Built the first 1,100 sq. feet of our poured solid house for almost half of this-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Attention-Su...p2056016.l4276

Great concept. You could do the same thing on your own for under $10K. Still dropping $10K on a container is a heckuva lot. I've seen containers go to pot within a few decades....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

2015 Silver Site supporter Rmplstlskn's Avatar
    My comment to the seller, "Good luck with that!"

With so many build options open at this time of PLENTY, my only interest in a shipping container is storage...

Rmpl
    -=> Rmplstlskn <=-

Meh... you could buy a double wide for that, not interested.

I would much rather see a video series of how LD3 did his poured solid house for half the price of a fancy shipping container. Thats info more pertinent to my situation.

Block, rebar in every cell, pour solid with grout mix. I posted some pics here a while back.

Over time, their will be some cracking, as pretty much all concrete does. But when you drive around the country here and see some of the old homesteads, the wooden ones are a heap on the ground with maybe the brick chimney still standing. The block ones- the roof may have fallen in but the walls are still good 99% of the time. And those aren't even poured.

If in the PAW my house burns or death rays from the reptilians burn it up (LOL) or whatever, I'll camp inside the think and maintain the ballistic protection of the shell of it.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

Silver Site Supporter 9/2011 Grinnan Barrett's Avatar
    You have to remember that we are not the market for this item. This is intended for the guy who watches luxury doomsday bunkers and does not own a hammer or a saw. To those guys the $52K sounds pretty good.

A decent container should go for around $3,000 up to $5,000 depending on condition and size. Delivery can vary on distance you have to move it. Consider you MUST replace the floor of most of these units due to chemicals in the wood from China. floor replacement is easy. The cost of interior finish out is where it gets iffy. The walls need to be studded (reinforced) wired and plumbed for water and sewer. If you use more than one unit you need to figure in time and cost of fitting them together.

If you are handy with a welder, cutting torch, and metal saw you are in good shape. coating the outside is essential. You must cut down on rust or potential rust as Lowdown3 points out. If you plan to bury the thing get ready for all sorts of additional costs. The more you can do yourself the better off you are. I only use them for storage on the farm. GB