FLIR Thermosight Pro 536 Current Specials HALO Medical Supplies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATV's

ATV's

Just kinda day dreaming at this point.

Doing more work further out in the property that isn't always accessible via vehicle. Also would make a decent alternate transportation in the PAW.

Pros/cons of ATVs in particular this Honda-

http://powersports.honda.com/2014/fourtrax-recon.aspx

I know some regular ATV users are going to say it's not a lot of power. That's not really super important to me.

Thinking more along the lines of reliability, sturdy engine, being able to haul a little something, etc.

Or something similar sub $5,000.

I did like that somewhere in the specs of this model it showed also being able to start it with a recoil cord. What all could/might get hit in an EMP on something like this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

2015 Silver Site supporter Rmplstlskn's Avatar
    Assuming the property you have (never been to your place), I would have an ATV...

Lots of POWER means lots of GAS... For your thinner you, the 250cc for mild load work, I think that is the ECONOMICAL choice. For the manly man side, a big arse 650cc behemoth would be a lot of fun! Pick your poison... LOL!

Rmpl
    -=> Rmplstlskn <=-

Cant answer all your questions, but I will just add that having owned and used about 5-6 personal ATVs and family having numerous others, I have a strong preference for Yamaha, Honda, and Kawasaki in that order. Yamaha and Honda are very close in preference, but the Yamaha's have always had an ever so slight edge for me. Either brand will serve you well.

I own a 700 Polaris but have ridden all the brands out there.

You can't go wrong with a Honda, very relaible. My only beef with them is the smaller ones have a straight axle on the rear. I like an independant rear suspension. I find it MUCH better for hills, going over rocks or logs etc. Just a better ride and more stable when the going gets rough.

I love my Polaris wouldn't trade it for Honda.

2015 Silver Site supporter Rmplstlskn's Avatar
    Brings back memories of the old-school 3-WHEEL ATC's of decades past... They were fun, but deadly!

Rmpl
    -=> Rmplstlskn <=-

5K would build one heck of a custom trick whamy Suzuki Samurai. Put a Chevy V8 in er..... Thats all kinds of power right there!!

suzuki.jpg
    I know. It's not a ATV per se but hey it is a Suzuki! On a more serious note though 250 is pretty small I don't know what kind of terrain you are in but I have bogged down 250's on hilly terrain in Idaho plenty of times but if you are just using it on low hills in decent weather(no mud) you should be fine.
    Last edited by justanothergunnut; 09-28-2014 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rmplstlskn View Post
    Assuming the property you have (never been to your place), I would have an ATV...

Lots of POWER means lots of GAS... For your thinner you, the 250cc for mild load work, I think that is the ECONOMICAL choice. For the manly man side, a big arse 650cc behemoth would be a lot of fun! Pick your poison... LOL!

Rmpl
    I'm holding around 180-185. 171 was way too low for me. Comments from some friends and loved ones around that time frame- "you look like a crackhead" (Love from my Mom) and later my combatives instructor said also I had lost too much weight and muscle then- "you were kind of a cheerleader there for a bit." LMAO I've always strived for positive reinforcement in my life ROTFLMAO!

Blog Entries
    Dads got a Polaris 350 4+4. It is plenty big IMHO. Could haul me -wife etc and still crank out near 45 before I backed off ...used it to haul a trailer with hot tub down the street etc. I don't think with any of the big names already mentioned you'd go wrong...your AO ain't to crazy (no boulders or cliffs)....so any 4+4 will do good ..
    Hey Petunia...you dropped your man pad!

I've had several brands usually 500 -800 cc. The only time I had trouble is in mud and pushing snow. The ability to pull start is a plus.
    One of the salesman things I fell for is needing a big engine in order to better use the winch. But I had forgotten a basic rule of physic that if trying to pull something heaver than the machine, the machine will move first. the wife said the look on my face when the atv started moving downhill was priceless.
    Survival question. What do I need most, right now?

So if I went up to a FourTrax Rancher model-

http://powersports.honda.com/2015/fo...r/options.aspx

What would be the advantage? More power and size?