DBAL-I2 IR Laser with IR Illuminator

Trijicon Miniature Rifle Optic (MRO
FLIR Scout TK
Mt. House Freeze Dried 1-Month Starter Unit

Thread: SPAM .99 can

2016 Silver Supporter, thank you!

SPAM .99 can

I don't know why, but SPAM is on sale at a small local IGA for .99 per can, so I bought 2 cases. DTD 2020. Look at the smaller stores as the big stores it is still, 2.69 a can. It stores well and can be used for a lot of things food wise.

Thanks for the heads-up on that. I have heard that Spam, like a lot of Hormel products will last years beyond their best by dates.

As long as the can is not bulging the food inside is still good..... or so I have been told. I have eaten canned food well beyond the DTD and it was still good.
    "One cannot but ponder the question: what if the Arabs had been Christians? To me it seems certain that the fatalistic teachings of Mohammed and the utter degradation of women is the outstanding cause for the arrested development of the Arab. He is exactly what he was around the year 700, while we have kept on developing. Here, I think, is a text for some eloquent sermon on the virtues of Christianity." - General George S. Patton, diary, June 9, 1943.

Manufacturer of Hater-Aide Mannlicher's Avatar
    I am just not into buying canned meat by the case. First in, First Out, means you are going to have to eat a lot of Spam, Corned Beef or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry View Post
    As long as the can is not bulging the food inside is still good..... or so I have been told. I have eaten canned food well beyond the DTD and it was still good.
    I agree though texture and flavor might not be the same.

old spam

As for me,
    I've down to 12 flats of spam left from 1999.
    Every couple months or so, I'll bring another slab home and use it.
    Every can is still good so far, fries up good, smells good, looks good and tastes good.
    No problems with them yet.
    YMMV

We just had a pantry meal of Spam, (Ok, Aldi's version) canned potatoes, corn, and pear slices... ALL bought in 2011 - Everything was fine, no change in texture, color, or taste.

2016 Silver Supporter, thank you!
    I just recently got a box from mountain house food to replace what I sent them that I had from 1982. They wanted to test it. I sent can and pouch. As well as a few other makers stuff. Now they did not say anything about the other food, but they told me that they were going to increase the life span of theirs to 20 years for foil pouch's and indefinite for cans if kept cool and dry and no holes in either. As far as Spam goes, I have only had one can leak in ? a long time and I am still using sealed cans and 25 year old dry potatoes to make meals and it is fine.

82 I'm impressed! Nice.

Oldest I think I have still in storage is a few cans of Ready Reserve dehydrated in 2 1/2 from 1988

As we get older, I'm going to more and more Mt. House for the convenience. As we go to put them up, I'm ditching the cardboard boxes and putting them in a Rubbermaid tote that just fits 6 #10 cans with a little wiggle room for odd stuff. Avoids the holding moisture and mold issues long term with cardboard. The totes get expensive in quantity, but the cans weren't cheap so you need to protect them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."