FLIR Thermosight Pro 536 Current Specials HALO Medical Supplies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What's your current focus?

I'm supposing that a lot of folks spent the latter part of 2016 focusing on weapon and ammo procurement, filing any gaps they felt they had.

What's your current or your near future focus on preparedness?

For me I've been thinking a lot about transportation, getting some upgrades done to a few vehicles and looking into some other ideas. Infrastructure on the homestead is always a big focus as well. This year we will be getting started with cattle, principally as a side income source. So the last year and a half we've been working on fencing, pasture areas, etc.

What's your current focus?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

As for me, I have increased the size of my garden. I have found what works and what doesn't over the past three years as far as vegetables go. I worked out a drip system joined to rainwater catchment during the winter. We will see how that works. I'm going to locate a water witch in March to see if I have water for a well.

bill,

---
    but you may be referring to dousing. (i'm not sure of spelling?)

I've seen some amazing results...
    example
    a fellow was at the condo checking for lines (call before you dig)

his fancy dancy electrical meters weren't giving good results
    he asked if I would allow him to try something else.. when he described the process, I got interested..
    he found the lines is the bottom line... of that story.

i'll bet there are instructions on the internet!
    Last edited by rockriver; 02-17-2017 at 07:43 AM.

i got off track with "dousing"

fruit trees

water sources

root cellar and storm shelter

alt. energy

people

2013 Site Supporter jimmycthemd's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Expanding my gardening

Refining/expanding water storage

Transportation (went from three vehicles to two). Doing a yearly in-depth vehicle checkup. The vehicles are 7 and 10 years old (both long paid for), so due for extended maintenance.

Comms. Got a SDR (software defined radio) that I can scan frs/gmrs, MURS, police/fire bands as well as ham bands. Receive only.
    "Common sense might be common but it is by no means wide spread." Mark Twain

Seasoned
    Gym/fitness
    Training... Dry fire,live fire, defensive tactics...
    Making contacts/friendships with like minded people.
    Pay CC back down due to some last quarter purchases for fear of election outcome.
    Going to sell off/trade a lot of "gear" that is not used and taking up space.
    Keep on with my food,water, ammo purchases as usual.

Seems like vehicles are on several of your lists here. I'm at the point that the Jeep is needing lots of work. Rear main going, track bar, tie rods, ball joints all showing their age/mileage as well as, shocks, timing et all. Going to look this summer for a "new to me" 4 banger daily driver over 80 miles a work day ticks the odometer off quickly. So thats going to be on my list as well.

We're finally getting things set up here in the new place.

Fitness/Health - I must admit I have not given this area the attention it has required since my neck surgery last April. I still get some numbness in the fingers on my left hand but it is subsiding. I am getting back into a workout routine circuit training. Eating healthier. I have a bet with a guy at work to see who can lose the largest % of body weight. The weigh in date is Aug 14. Using a new app on the phone that counts the number of steps each day. Goal is a minimum of 10K steps per day.

Garden - this will be the last Spring with our plot at the community garden. I have installed a new zone in the back yard for drip lines. Now I need to start designing and building the raised beds. Not yet sure how I will approach it. Either build the boxes, use concrete/ceramic planters or a combination of the two. I planted basil, rosemary, thyme, sage and parsley in the back yard last Fall and it is doing really well so far. The basil has survived the few frosts we've had.

Communication - My father-in-law and I are setting up my Ham radio tomorrow. We'll be looking into what kind of antennae I can put in the crawl space in the attic and in the backyard. I want to test for the General license in June/July. I definitely need to get more air time this year. We have a pretty decent preparedness group here in the East valley. They have "Net Night" every Wednesday night. Going to start participating in that this week.

Firearms/Protection - I need to increase the amount of .223/5.56 ammo on hand otherwise I am satisfied with the rest of my ammo. Definitely need more trigger time and drills.

Food - Still replenishing the pantry after being laid off last April.

Water - I am in the same boat as jimmyc, refining and expanding water storage in the new home.

Transportation - I've been rebuilding my '92 Cherokee for a while now. Seems like as soon as I get something replaced/repaired something else goes out on it. I am not happy with the lack of reliability/durability. I am still weighing my options with it but for the first time since buying it new I am thinking about selling it. Any ideas or thoughts on this from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

I've got a couple other things like canning & pickling that I'd like to dabble in but my pattern is pretty full at the moment so I'll have to just keep those on the radar and jump on them if I get some free time.
    "One cannot but ponder the question: what if the Arabs had been Christians? To me it seems certain that the fatalistic teachings of Mohammed and the utter degradation of women is the outstanding cause for the arrested development of the Arab. He is exactly what he was around the year 700, while we have kept on developing. Here, I think, is a text for some eloquent sermon on the virtues of Christianity." - General George S. Patton, diary, June 9, 1943.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmycthemd View Post
    Expanding my gardening

Refining/expanding water storage

Transportation (went from three vehicles to two). Doing a yearly in-depth vehicle checkup. The vehicles are 7 and 10 years old (both long paid for), so due for extended maintenance.

Comms. Got a SDR (software defined radio) that I can scan frs/gmrs, MURS, police/fire bands as well as ham bands. Receive only.
    @jimmycthemd - care to share the make and model of this radio?
    "It's a trap!!!!" -- Admiral Ackbar

Update on my 2017 goals:

Communications:
    The "radio shack" is set up the in man cave. I have really good reception because it is located on the second floor. VHF and UHF are really clear. I can reach out to Northern Arizona including above the Mogollon Rim using a repeater at Mt Ord. I am using a Yaesu FT-817ND which is only 5 watts but everyone I have spoken to up on the Rim says I am coming thru nice and clear. I haven't participated in the MarNet or the prepper's Net Night yet. I hope to do that this week. Once I get the Yaesu squared away and programmed for all of the freqs I am going to start working w/ my Baofeng radios.

Fitness:
    I am down 5 pounds since Feb 14th. Circuit training is going well. No complaints from my titanium neck. I have reduced portion sizes and limited consumption of most breads, rice and pastas in general. I have pretty much nuked sugar from my diet. I try to avoid anything with sugar. I am eating a lot of grilled salmon, grilled chicken, and grilled asparagus.

Firearms/Security/Training:
    I bought the new AR by Springfield, The Saint, yesterday. It's a really solid weapon. Nice and tight. The BCM furniture on it is nice. The nickel boron plated, micro polished trigger is the cat's meow. I am looking forward to sighting her in next week and then taking her shooting with the guys a couple later. I also bought 500 rounds of 5.56 (55gr M193 by IMI).

Garden:
    The Spring garden is planted. We have radishes, bush beans, soy beans, 2 types of yellow squash, 2 types of zucchini, bibb lettuce, mustard greens, and spinach. Our Winter garden is still producing kale, chard, onions, leeks and snow peas. We decided to plant tomatoes at home rather than at our plot at the community garden. We'll plant Okra in a couple weeks. I have found a company that sell stock tanks and we're going to use those for the back yard. They are 2'x4'x2'. We've got room for 4 of them. I also found some wooden tubs that will work nicely in other parts of the back yard. the herb garden is coming along nicely. Parsley, thyme, rosemary, sage, and basil are looking healthy. In fact, I am going to use some of the rosemary tonight when I grill chicken.

That's my update. Still need to work on transportation, water and food storage.
    "One cannot but ponder the question: what if the Arabs had been Christians? To me it seems certain that the fatalistic teachings of Mohammed and the utter degradation of women is the outstanding cause for the arrested development of the Arab. He is exactly what he was around the year 700, while we have kept on developing. Here, I think, is a text for some eloquent sermon on the virtues of Christianity." - General George S. Patton, diary, June 9, 1943.

Site Supporter and Beta Tester
    Adding to food production, hopefully anyhow. Some blueberry bushes, adding another garden plot, trying some raised beds, etc.
    Also upgrading the security cameras to hi def...wow! Big improvement on resolution, even at night.
    This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave. ~Elmer Davis