DBAL-I2 IR Laser with IR Illuminator

Trijicon Miniature Rifle Optic (MRO
FLIR Scout TK
Mt. House Freeze Dried 1-Month Starter Unit

Melatonin, sleep deprivation and communal living

In a long term survival situation, lack of sleep, increased stress and perhaps less nutrition can all bring about massive problems.

I went through a similar thing a few years ago when some extended family had a period of about two years wherein every stupid thing they could possibly do or have happen to them DID happen to them and I had to deal with it with them or for them. It was literally one thing after another. "Small" things built up considerably under stress. As one of them had dementia, I would get calls at 2, 3, 4 in the morning for assistance after days of driving them to dr appointments, etc. This on top of normal stressors in business, family, etc.

I've always slept well but during that time period I found myself sleeping way lighter than I normally do, waking up in the middle of the night thinking the phone rang again, etc.

Eventually you just have to crash for a while. Under normal circumstances that isn't a huge problem. Under a long term survival situation that could be an issue.

This ties into the whole "go along to get along" THINKING ABOUT OTHERS themes I have written about before. What's going to happen when someone is totally spent like this, trying to get a little rest and someone's out of control child, just a "kid being a kid" (piss poor excuse for bad parenting) is freaking out? Someone's going to snap at some point.

You need a quiet place for recovery AS WELL AS parents who will actually control their kids. I discussed this with some friends who had a PASSEL of kids (5) who were (supposedly) very "survival oriented" but were obviously doing absolutely NOTHING as far as teaching their kids. Did they not realize that a good portion of living in a bad situation will be staying quiet and keeping on the down low? Got the "kids will be kids" answer. That equals- a total F'in COP OUT by a weak parent that isn't doing their job. If your child can't sit still for a few minutes, or stay quiet for a while, you got bigger problems than TSHTF. I don't care that you (THINK) your 7 year old is proficient with an AK (sorry but that's fricking stupid!!!), if he won't LISTEN and has to be screamed at to obey, doesn't matter if he's a junior commando.

People poo poo these things when I write about them, or think I was an overbearing parent. We weren't, we simply kept a quiet house and shut down any screaming, freaking out, etc. when our child was little- you know "train them up in the way they will go..." type of thing

These things are CRUCIAL for those with kids that are planning on surviving, you have to get these things in check NOW. You can't expect that your kids will just "know" later (they won't). Just like we all talk about how you won't "rise to the occasion" but that you will default to the level of your TRAINING, so goes your kids.

You must be able to allow people to get adequate rest, most especially in a stressful situation.

In that regard, one natural sleep aid I've found useful is Melatonin. Your body makes this naturally, so it's not something that will be addictive or destructive to your body. If you take too much you will likely have what we call a "melatonin hangover" in the morning. That equates to a a few sluggish minutes upon first waking up.

Melatonin is available in pill form and chewable gummies. The pill form stores better long term.

The person will most likely be out of it for 6-8 hours, so consider that before taking. Take it a few hours before you go to bed, depending on the person it doesn't have immediate results.

Learn to recognize the signs of exhaustion in people you are surviving with. Mood changes, erratic behavior, poor choices, etc. Many of us will try to "push through" and during a short term event, this is certainly possible.

Strive for good nutrition via good food storage and use of as many fresh products (fruits, veg, etc.) that you have available at the time. Multivitamins are essential. Make sure people get on a good sleep schedule. Night time guard duty folks may need a quiet area to bed down in during times wherein people will be moving about getting chores down during the day.

Your thoughts on overcoming exhaustion and dealing with this sort of thing long term?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

Gold Site Supporter 2014 thank you! 610Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I am still waiting for the "How to Raise a Child Book" by LD3

Dealing with kids when you are exhausted, even good ones, can be strenuous especially if they are younger and not as self sufficient. We are working on the kids being responsible for making sure they have their backpacks all ready to go before watching anything. My son can especially turn on selective hearing, funny how they can focus so intently on watching something that they don't hear anything but yet can hear your conversation about doing something fun just fine but if you ask them to do something they don't hear that...lol. Anymore I turn stuff off to get their attention, I will say their name once and if they don't respond then off go lights or tv or whatever to get their attention.

A few weeks back I was at church watching this young boy, ~3-4 yo, sit perfectly through the whole sermon. Didn't fidget or bug his parents, just sat and looked up at the pastor, no tablet no phone nothing. I told his parents afterwards of how impressed I was and they were like, we didn't do anything special, he has always been like this...except for when his older brother is around then its a different story.

Great food for thought as always.
    "If you will live like no one else, later on you can live like no one else." -- Dave Ramsey

A few weeks back I was at church watching this young boy, ~3-4 yo, sit perfectly through the whole sermon. Didn't fidget or bug his parents, just sat and looked up at the pastor, no tablet no phone nothing. I told his parents afterwards of how impressed I was and they were like, we didn't do anything special, he has always been like this...except for when his older brother is around then its a different story.
    He was probably taught that that was what was EXPECTED of him. We never did the candy to keep quiet or the coloring books BS. I can't tell you how many OLD PEOPLE used to come across a big church to see our son. "You sit so well, you go up and pray by yourself, we just want to say how proud we are of you." A couple asked them to pray for their grandson who had cancer and they became good friends with him. Over half of the adults at that church got their wages from the local publix edumacation system and I think it chapped their butts that our son won awards every year for Scripture knowledge (cause you know we homeschool and those on the gubmint payroll don't understand that at all) Meanwhile some publix skewl sixth graders we taught could barely read...

It's really just about teaching kids whats expected of them and what is not acceptable. Then actually stick to that. It was never a floating line. No child is perfect and ours definitely isn't either. But if you take the worldly approach that everything is about the child and he is the only damn thing in the world, well then they will grow up to be a self centered a-hole that thinks of no one but themselves. THAT will be the kid that will be screaming for no reason but attention while your trying to stay quiet for security reasons, or that the parent won't know where the hell they are while something is going on. Been there and saw it, and it is always a flipping train wreck.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

Gold Site Supporter 2014 thank you! 610Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    We got the kids in a great school now. They have to memorize bible verses every week starting in 1st grade. Spanish starts in 1st grade. Chapel every week. Compared to the other school districts in the area they had the highest avg. ACT score out of 4-5 of the surrounding school districts.

It's really just about teaching kids whats expected of them and what is not acceptable. Then actually stick to that. It was never a floating line. No child is perfect
    Consistency is key...I am trying to better about it and to communicate with your spouse about what each one is doing or setting limits on.
    "If you will live like no one else, later on you can live like no one else." -- Dave Ramsey

2016 Silver Supporter, thank you!
    My wife and I were told by a child social worker that we were abusive because we were both in the military. Of course she had a BA in social work but was not married and had no kids. This was over one of the kids skipping school and my hunting them down and dragging them into junior high , back to there class. My child was very embarrassed but never skipped a class again. This worker actually petitioned us into court. The judge listened for awhile and then banged his gavel , then he said very loudly . I WANT TO SEE BOTH ATTORNIES NOW , IN CHAMBERS. I thought o-boy I must be in trouble. Well they came back out and the judge said to the social worker and their attorney . IF you ever bring this kind of thing before me again I will see to it that both of you will not work in this county again . I was a bit taken aback, then he said THIS CASE IS DISMISSED. When asked about the fee, My attorney said you don't owe me a thing ,I have waited a long time to see that happen. That was a long time ago now , who knows. But my boys are doing fine.
    MELATONIN - Yes it works I used it after my first return from RVN, but after awhile it's effectiveness dwindles.