FLIR Thermosight Pro 536 Current Specials HALO Medical Supplies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: coffee

Manufacturer of Hater-Aide Mannlicher's Avatar
    if things go belly up, coffee will be the last thing I'm concerned about.

Storing Coffee Long Term

I have been looking into the best way to storage coffee long term and this is what I have found.
    Ideally, coffee should be ground, brewed, and consumed quickly to obtain the best flavor. Coffee beans are at their peak within 24 to 72 hours after roasting and begin to quickly stale after that with most of the original flavor will have deteriorated within a week. Vacuum sealing and over wrapped with aluminum foil and placing them in the freezer (the refrigerator is NOT cold enough) will extend it to 4 or 6 weeks). Which mean that unless you roast & grind your own (or go to Starbucks?), we are not used to grommet tasting coffee so I will settle for drinkable.

How can we store drinkable coffee really long term as in years?
    1. From all accounts, green, whole beans store the best. Green beans (whole beans) stay reasonably "fresh" for up to a year in a metal, glass or foil lined bag container if sealed from moisture and oxygen and for several years if frozen.
    2. Vacuumed packed steel cans of roasted, ground coffee beans in 59oF storage may keep a year or two (though I suspect a little longer), with tolerable (but maybe not great) drinking quality. Roasting the bean brings the flavorful, but easily rancidzed oils, to the surface and grinding exposing more of the bean to air. The heavier oils of the beans that travel to the exterior of the bean also often congeal during frozen storage and do not remix well when brewed.
    3. The best keepers are the Instant type and they come in two forms; spun dried powder and freeze dried. If instant is stored at 59oF, protected from light, in a metal, glass or foil lined bag container, sealed from moisture and oxygen it will keep at least 10 years.
    4. IMO, the stored freeze dried was better tasting than the spun dried powder so that is what I stock Also from my own personal experience, Folgers Freeze Dried Coffee, stored in my basement storeroom for over 23 years in its glass jar. It was not only good; it was excellent in flavor.

How much should I store?
    Here is what I found for freeze dried, spun dry might be different. I converted grams to grains so you can use your powder scale to calibrate your coffee dipper for rationing purposes. Since I don’t know anyone who really drinks only a 6 oz cup of coffee for an eye opener so plan accordingly.

Freeze Dried Coffee - Product Yield
    Throw Weight Yield (6oz Cups)
    Grams of Coffee per 6oz Cup Per Package Per Case
    Regular Coffee
    1.2 grams/18.5 grains 189 cups 2,268 cups
    1.3 grams/20 grains 175 cups 2,100 cups
    1.4 grams/21.6 grains 162 cups 1,944 cups
    Stronger Coffee
    1.5 grams/23 grains 151 cups 1,812 cups
    1.6 grams/ 24.6 grains 142 cups 1,704 cups

grams = 142 cups / Bag
    1.7 grams = 134 cups / Bag
    2.0 grams = 114 cups / Bag

I have found a source for mylar/foil pouchs of coffee. The dollar store. Have to watch for the right flavor but it tastes fine and is a dollar for enough to make 3 pots of coffee. Seems like a really good package. It is not Folgers but it is coffee. Grounds are about a drip grind.