FLIR Thermosight Pro 536 Current Specials HALO Medical Supplies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Recommend a watch

My bday is coming up in a little while and my wife says I'm hard to buy for.

Last time I went camping I realized I don't have a good outdoor watch. Got out of the habit of wearing a watch but always seek one when it's time to go to the field or go camping.

Criteria-

* Sub $200. if possible.
    * Hands, not digital
    * Ideally be able to be read in the dark.
    * Some sort of alarm feature might be nice, maybe a vibrate instead of a audible? Is that even possible?
    * Rugged enough for outdoor use, subdued color.

Any ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

Super Moderator Patriotic Sheepdog's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have owned a Casio G-Shock Atomic Solar powered watch (Riseman) for 8 years IIRC. No problems what-so-ever. The Riseman is digital only though. There are other Casio's that are analog and digital though. I would recommend the solar, and G-Shock versions. I have not been disappointed with my purchase. IIRC, the Riseman was just under $200 back when I purchased it.
    Protecting the sheep from the wolves that want them, their family, their money and full control of our Country!

Guns and gear are cool, but bandages stop the bleeding!

ATTENTION: No trees or animals were harmed in any way in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were really ticked off!

NO 10-289!

2013 Site Supporter jimmycthemd's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patriotic Sheepdog View Post
    I have owned a Casio G-Shock Atomic Solar powered watch (Riseman) for 8 years IIRC. No problems what-so-ever. The Riseman is digital only though. There are other Casio's that are analog and digital though. I would recommend the solar, and G-Shock versions. I have not been disappointed with my purchase. IIRC, the Riseman was just under $200 back when I purchased it.
    Here's the G-Shock solar with hands (and some digital displays) for about $102 at wally world...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Casio-G-S...-1ACR/36468729
    "Common sense might be common but it is by no means wide spread." Mark Twain

Went with a black colored solar one with luminous hands and a calendar.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

Blog Entries
    Wife got me a tan one in 15' it's held up good so far.
    Took me a bit to get used to it. I wanted a basic Seiko/citizen with NATO strap set up since I wanted hands as well.
    Don't care for the illumination feature on this watch. It is a basic amber led ..hard to see the digital screen imho.
    But so far i5s held up.
    Hey Petunia...you dropped your man pad!

Last trip to Iraq I took my Tag even though it failed 2 years earlier on my last trip. Had taken it to a jeweler and had it cleaned, pressure tested etc. 2 weeks into the adventure it stopped working. Went to the PX and bought a basic GI Timex. Still on original battery 6 years later.
    Tried a Gshock but was too bulky for me.

Bob

Seasoned
    https://www.amazon.com/Casio-GA100SD...f_rd_i=desktop

This is my current Cassio. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I also love my automatic Seiko 5 though the band is a bit skinnier then I prefer... wore mine for over 5 years with no problems. You will need an automatic watch winder to put it on if you take off for over 48 hours.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Oh and asking which watch is like asking which weapon platform or ford vs Chevy. I own over 10 watches but wear only 2 regularly and forget fit bit or i-watch if you work in heavy industry, they just cant take hard hits or abuse at all. scratch quite easily as well. not water proof etc.
    Last edited by RobertJ; 04-02-2017 at 09:52 AM.

I wore an Orient kinetic watch for the last 4 years. Good watch. Kept good time. However, it has a metal band and was a pain to wear while elk hunting for a week last December in weather that was in the teens. The watch kept great time on the hunt but it doesn't have an alarm.

My iPhone 6 was actually worthless in the cold weather. I relied on it as my alarm clock but the cold weather shut it down. I am hoping the Casio G-Shock my wife got me for Christmas will do the trick. I have been very pleased with its performance so far but only time will tell.
    "One cannot but ponder the question: what if the Arabs had been Christians? To me it seems certain that the fatalistic teachings of Mohammed and the utter degradation of women is the outstanding cause for the arrested development of the Arab. He is exactly what he was around the year 700, while we have kept on developing. Here, I think, is a text for some eloquent sermon on the virtues of Christianity." - General George S. Patton, diary, June 9, 1943.

Over the years, I have worn nothing but cheap watches as the type of work I did was not healthy for them. Of course, you get what you pay for, but usually, the outside died before the inside. Last Christmas, the family decided that I needed a Fitbit...a subtle hint to my overall health I suppose. A few weekends ago, I found a good purpose for it. We were out hiking on a poorly marked trail when I thought that we may have missed a turn or have gotten off the trail. As the watch counts steps and estimates mileage from that, I could tell that according to the map, we should be close to a fork in the trail and sure enough, it was correct. I have never been good at estimating distance in the mountains so it actually came in handy. At night, it would give you away, as it lights up any time you turn your wrist, but in the day, it works pretty cool.
    Last edited by Bill Foster; 06-02-2017 at 07:21 AM.

+1 on the FITBIT, plus it gives feedback on lots of parameters.
    Salutations,
    Templar

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________

There are very good reasons why we all are gathered here...