FLIR Thermosight Pro 536 Current Specials HALO Medical Supplies

Temporary cache results

A few years ago I placed this temporary cache in an area I drive through regularly. The idea with this being something I could grab quickly if need be.

Temporary caches aren't designed for decades under ground like PVC caches with glued on caps. I've posted some results from long term caches like this on the forums at Survivalandpreparedness.com

Temporary caches are more designed for a few years and usually for more of a quick grab than a half hour or hour of digging.

Containers for temporary caches that I've used include ammo cans of various sizes (treated) and Pelican cases. The ammo cans you should treat via a spray undercoating or a spray on bedliner type material, both of which you can find at Walmart. This will help protect the metal longer. I've never seen a complete failure of one of these, but again they are more of a shorter term storage item (1-5 years)

Obviously temporary caches should be placed for quick retrieval and due to the short term nature of them, try to place them in drier areas.

This one was placed on one of my normal drive routes. Placement is important on stuff like this because since it isn't buried a foot underground, it has a higher possibility of some stumbling upon it.

One could in theory just place a container like this on top of the ground in a dense area, put some leaf cover on it and hope for the best. That's obviously not the best route. This particular one was placed in a hole just the size of the Pelican case. Then a very small amount of dirt was placed over it, then leaf cover.

Seeing a timber company working in that area recently, I decided it was time to pull it, or else Bubba might have gotten a new pistol for free.

Here's some pics of how everything fared. I would say the Pelican case was lacking a bit as items that went in without rust have a fair amount of rust on them now. Everything was oiled up well and wrapped in an oily towel. The idea was QUICK RETRIEVAL and perhaps being able to get it into usage IMMEDIATELY- hence why the pistol wasn't sealed in a little mylar bag or something similar. I may repack with a 1 gallon mylar inside the Pelican case.

IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

Back when I got divorced.

I had several firearms I wanted forgotten about for awhile.
    Put all the metal firearm stuff in baggies, filled with oil, no air bubbles,
    Put the baggies in ammo boxes, filled the ammo boxes with oil, shut them , siliconed the edges after shutting them.
    Buried them in a woods across the road from an FAA remote site cause I figured that site would be there later on.
    Drove by occassionally.
    Two years later went back for retrieval.
    I'd buried them about 18" down.
    found them easy,
    carried to the car and took home.
    everything was perfect.
    This was in SE Tennessee and the whole site had been muddy wet soaked when I dug up the boxes.
    Recommend in ammo cans completely filled with motor oil.
    (Non-metallic stuff went into two other cans w/o oil and they were good too.
    John

Roger that.

This was more of an "Apocolypto" type deal. Remember that movie? Remember when the guy is being chased back towards his village? I remember watching that thinking "dude should have a bow and arrows hidden in the hollow of a tree" then he could have turned the fight.

Problem was, he was being chased mercilessly, like worst E and E ever. He wouldn't have time to dig up anything. But you could have kicked some dirt to the side, pulled the handle on a pelican case, start running again and retrieve pistol out of case on the run. That was kind of my thought on this particular drop.

Also, to be truthful that pistol is from the late 80's and already had 30K or more rounds through it, most of the bluing gone and light pitting BEFORE it went in the Pelican case. I should have added that to the main thread.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

thanks for the thread and pictures..

Thanks for sharing. I wonder how that stuff Flex-seal would work. Possible to close the container and spray around the opening or totally coat it.
    Survival question. What do I need most, right now?