FLIR Thermosight Pro 536 Current Specials HALO Medical Supplies

New fiction story Battle for Shady Pines

The battle for Shady Pines

Description and disclaimer- Characters that follow are not based on individuals known to be real people. However, the characters actions, beliefs and interactions with others are based on real life incidents, comments, etc. from real people. While the main character may seem like a clown to some, he is a conglomeration of several types and styles of real life "preppers." I have endured to make this character real in the sense that their are people out there like him, who think and act like him. Keep in mind I've interacted with thousands upon thousands of like minded people over three decades, so this character type is NOT based in fiction. This is not meant solely as a sattire but also as a look at many issues related to survivalism as viewed by many people calling themselves survivalists or "preppers." While it's tempting to say "no one would think that" or "no one would do things that way", I re-iterate to you that all of this is based on real ideas, thoughts, interactions. I am NOT striving to make the main character look like an idiot to those that are experienced, I AM striving to make the main character look like someone who "doesn't know what he doesn't know" which unfortunately covers a wide swatch of preparedness minded people out there.

Too often these types of stories are criticized for not being "realistic" (based on the reader's perspective of course). Look at all the flak Jim Rawles original story "Patriots" has gotten online. Scores of people have written "that's impossible, no one can accomplish all that" (referring to the retreat in the story), meanwhile when I read it I'm thinking "they are lacking a lot." Again, the reader's perspective and where the individual reader is in his preparedness journey having a lot to do with how they react to a story. I believe you will find this story will show a more common example of a like minded person's preps and thoughts.

Finally, my intent is not to tee you off with any of this story, but to give a glimpse inside the mind of a typical like minded person. I believe we can learn from all examples, even at times bad ones. Further, it's not to try to show any "superiority" or related BS as no doubt someone will likely attest once they read something they didn't want to hear or don't agree with- it's the internet after all folks, when people can't debate the idea or dislike something they hear they often revert to name calling. How are people like this going to survive if they cannot even defend their ideas I wonder? And yes, I realize all of Bob's mistakes, it pains me to write some of them Again, the idea is to portray someone who "don't know what they don't know."
    Thanks for reading and I'll add more as I have time, it will be an ongoing story, even though new additions will likely come slowly (I do have a couple of regular jobs as well )- R

1-
    Bob sat among a slew of books and stacks of printed material in a small, dimly light room staring at a computer screen.

"I don't think I've seen this before" he said to himself while adding paper to his printer.

"Man! What a list! This guy has thought of everything" he said as the printer whirled to life and started processing 20 or so pages of paper.

Bob smiled to himself and reached for a 3 ring binder marked "Lists." In it, Bob had printouts of lists of supplies and equipment made by various authors from numerous survival forums online.
    "Knowledge is power!" Bob said with a smile while he tucked the 3 ring binder marked "Lists" in among the other binders titled "Food storage", "Weapons", "Gear" and "Homesteading." Bob always printed out the most useful info he found online. While he preferred zip drives and had dozens of them full up with various survival related files, Bob always printed the most important stuff.
    No one else bothered to come into "Bob's closet of doom" as Bob's wife Barbara called it, so their were no OPSEC concerns regarding the markings on the binders or the posters of weapons. Barbara had years ago refused to clean in there and the dust was relatively thick now. She simply made Bob come out of the "closet of doom" when people came by the house and made him make sure the room was locked. She would then proceed to tell her friends that the room was "Bob's hoarding room, full of dust and useless junk!"

Never the less, Bob would spend hours in the "closet of doom" every night reading survival forums, watching preparedness related videos and gear reviews on youtube and reviewing lists. Always with a big glass of Code Red Mt. Dew and a dish full of M & M candies handy Bob would spend hours reading fiction stories he found online and contemplating survival situations.

Bob's health was always put on the back burner in his mind. He planned to lose weight and get in shape when something happened because of the stress of the situation and strict rationing they would no doubt have to do. Bob's food storage lists were researched for years and his plans included a day of fasting every week to both cleanse the body and to help extend their rations. Bob had never fasted before, but he knew it would be an easy thing to do.

His lists regarding food storage was relatively long and designed for the four people in his family, Barbara, his 8 year old son Todd and his 15 year old daughter Claudia, and of course Bob as well. Very little was "checked off" Bob's food storage list, but that would come in time. He was expecting a big promotion at work, and just recently Barbara didn't shut him down so quickly when he was discussing buying another case of MREs with a check for some overtime he was expecting. Perhaps she would allow the purchase this time? Bob considered sneaking his preparedness purchases around on Barbara, but all of the family finances were handled by Barbara. She was very strict when it came to money. Bob often said she could "squeeze a nickel till the Buffalo farted." With Bob's paycheck automatically deposited in Barbara and his checking account, he never saw the money, and Barbara always had every penny accounted for each month.

A few years back Bob went off the ranch and bought some survival gear without asking Barbara beforehand. Bob reasoned that "it's better to ask forgiveness than to ask permission", but in his case this trite expression was not true. After yelling at him in front of the kids for an hour Barbara didn't talk to him again for two days, other than calling up the company that Bob ordered from demanding that they take the items back and issue a full refund. When they stated they couldn't take the items back, she called her credit card and claimed the purchase was fraudulent. Why should she be penalized for having an idiot husband who made flippant purchases? After that Bob lost his credit card privileges and Barbara got him a card with just a $500. limit for Bob that he had to account for every dime spent on.

But Bob loved her and just knew over time she would come around. When things did fall apart she would see that he was right all along and appreciate him. He smiled at that last thought as he finished straightening up the 3 ring binders.

He had read online that you could grow all the vegetables your family needed in a 4 foot by 4 foot raised bed. Bob purchased a #10 can of "survival seeds" containing a variety of seeds. His plan was to build the raised bed in the back corner of the backyard once he had talked Barbara into letting him buy the topsoil and landscape timbers. He had the seeds, that was what was most important. They would grow anywhere and Bob had plenty of zip files on homesteading and growing food so he was confident it would just be a few weeks till they had plenty of fresh food once they started their garden.

Bob had also squirreled away some firearms over the years despite the lack of food storage and other supplies. Four absolutely pristine DPMS AR15 rifles sat in his safe, three of which were never fired. He had justified the purchased as something for everyone in the family, even though it was highly unlikely Barbara would ever touch a firearm. Bob's rifle was the only one that had been shot, albeit just a few hundred rounds. Despite the fact that Bob owned the rifle for about 8 years now, buying it on a whim right after President Obama got elected as an "investment", Bob had not shot it much or bothered to clean it. He had ammunition for it, a few cases of Wolf .223 tucked away in the "closet of doom" and a $100. 3 power scope Bob had mounted on the rifle but had not zeroed.

Many times Bob would pull his rifle out of the safe when the family was not home and hold it and play with it in front of the mirror. "Just seeing this would make most people run away" Bob thought. Bob often had to refer to his notes on how to operate and field strip the weapon. One time at the range he was baffled because the mags kept falling out right after being put in. Bob reasoned that it must be a problem with the magazines, surely nothing he was doing wrong, so he purchased a couple of Pmags and tried them. At first the exact same thing happened and Bob hurt his hand smacking the bottom of the magazine trying to get the magazine to stay in the gun.

"Does everybody make crap now?" Bob thought to himself and left the range in a huff.

Later he was researching magazine failures on the net and came across a notation about not overfilling the magazine capacity. "That can't be it" Bob thought as he unloaded several of the magazines counting the rounds. Each magazine contained 31 rounds- 1 more than the magazine capacity. Bob was glad he caught this problem now instead of later. Being as he never left a loaded magazine in one of the rifles at home, he only realized this problem on one of his once every six months or so range trips.

Bob didn't use up a lot of time firing when he did go to the range. That used ammunition and it was more important to store ammo than shoot it Bob reckoned. He would often walk up and ask other shooters about what they were shooting, talk politics with them, etc. He had read on the internet that dry firing practice alone was all he needed to do. That was nice cause Wolf steel cased ammo was a couple hundred dollars for a case. With the once every few month dry firing practice sessions and the twice annual range trips, Bob figured his few thousand rounds in storage would last him 5 years or more of normal use. Maybe ammunition would drop in price by half by that time and he would maybe buy another case then.

After reading some discussions online regarding firearms training, Bob decided to check youtube for free instructional videos that would help him with his dry fire practice. He would watch a few videos while sipping Code Red Mt. Dew and eating M&Ms. His Uncle had taught him how to shoot when he was 10 so between that and all his dry firing, Bob figured he had a pretty good handle on rifle skills.

He later took the 4 hour state required concealed weapons course to be "allowed" to carry a pistol in his state. In that state required class, Bob learned that you should really never shoot someone because the lawyers will ruin your life afterwards- "every bullet has a lawyer attached" was the saying Bob remembered most from the class. The 400 lb. man who taught the concealed weapon course told the students that usually just the "mere presence" of a firearm usually thwarted any violence and that most criminals would run when they saw a weapon. Bob hadn't been in a fight since Robert Thompson repeatedly smashed his head on the ground at the kickball diamond during 2nd grade, so the idea that the pistol would keep him from a fight was a comforting thought.

Bob's other weapons included a Maverick 12 gauge shotgun with a hard plastic pistol grip and no stock and (3) Hi Point 9mm pistols all three of which Bob reasoned cost less than 1 glock. Bob justified the Hi Points by saying "two is one and none is none and three is much better!" Finally he rounded out his weapons with (3) Mosin Nagant bolt action rifles from World War II that Bob planned to use for "barter or winning favors from people."

A CD sat on the shelf with "armorer's manuals" which had .pdf files with armorer and gunsmithing information on the AR15s and even on the Mosins. The Hi Points and Maverick not being military issue made it harder for manuals to be found for them. One of Bob's many lists were "gunsmithing supplies" which had a notation for manuals for the Hi points and Maverick as well as spare parts for all the rifles, none of which Bob had acquired yet. He wasn't overly worried about that, because the AR15 was the military rifle of America, and all but a few people understood they were completely reliable, so spare parts were not likely ever needed for those. The Mosins had probably been through Stalingrad and killed more Germans than Patton's Army, so their wasn't any need to have spare parts for them. Besides, Bob had only maybe 100 rounds of ammo for the Mosins, they were for barter but even Bob knew you didn't want to give that much ammo in trade.

Bob lacked a .22lr weapon. It was on his lists but his research had not yet landed him on the "correct" one to buy. He heard from other new preppers online that people used to use .22lr a lot for weapons "training" but since .22lr ammo got some expensive, pretty much everyone just did dry fire practice and called it a day.

With all these preps and the occasional dry firing practice, Bob felt ready for anything he might need the weapons for.

He saw most types of fighting gear as too "high visibility" and therefore didn't purchase any. The thought that he might get shot one day because he wore a chest rig and a helmet that would keep him from "blending in" concerned Bob enough so that he didn't make the purchase. "Any gun fight is going to end pretty quickly, so why carry 5 magazines?" was his rationale on gear.

continued part 2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

I type this on Word first and then cut and paste it. For some reason when it comes over, it has lost all the spacing, bold and italics from Word. So I've missed putting a few of those back in. Deal with it

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

Blog Entries
    So far ,so good.
    Man....so far Bob's ready for anything
    Hey Petunia...you dropped your man pad!

what wiregrass said!

hmm.
    I feel sorta like Bob!

I hope he's the hero of the story.
    and he's already got weapons...

hmm.
    I need some weapons.
    then some folks to use them for me!

or !maybe they could just bring their own!

and some food, and some gear and ...

so long as everyone understands that i'm in charge!

By the way, my name is Bill, not Bob.��

I've been pondering this story. I hope it continues.
    ole bob is sure not the super ranger/seal/martial arts champion that is characteristic of many survivalists.
    (i'm none of the above either!)

but when I consider ole bob, and many of the folks that I know, then ole bob looks better and better!