FLIR Thermosight Pro 536 Current Specials HALO Medical Supplies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2013 Site Supporter jimmycthemd's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Generator Brands

I've been looking at getting a generator for backup power during storms. Generally, the duration is expected to be about 2-3 days. Not looking for whole house or auto-switchover...looking at a portable generator (about 3650 watts) just for the furnace (2400 watts) and maybe freezer (600 watts). What I'm interested in here are thoughts on brands you have experience with or knowledge about.

Here's what I've pretty much ruled out:

Honda---waaay to expensive (about $1,300 for that size and don't need an inverter)

Champion---and other cheap Chinese crap.

What I've looked at:

Generac--used by data centers I've worked at but parts availability sucks for home use.

Briggs and Stratton--pretty ubiquitous and, as such parts are easy to find.

Troy-bilt--rebranded Briggs and Stratton.

Any thoughts/alternatives?

I've been in electronics for decades and know how to hook them up, but wanting second opinions.
    "Common sense might be common but it is by no means wide spread." Mark Twain

a few close associates have
    onan in their rv's... run on propane... I've been thinking about looking for salvaged onan from burnt/wrecked rv.

troy bilt... 5500 gas. was about 600... still reliable... and it's 7years old. but never had to use for multiple days in a row.

a pto china built ? tiger? 10k. might be something to consider if you already have a small tractor.

I've been doing some rv shopping and see the champion line mentioned on a lot of websites...
    if I was buying one this weekend and wanted cheap... i'd check out the champion! some rv'ers are giving them good reviews.

Administrator
    We ordered a Predator 8750 - a little more than what you're looking for but at $529 (on sale) it will let us run almost the whole house in conjunction with our existing generator. Reviews on this unit are very good via Consumer Reports. It won't be here for Irma but in FL hurricanes are a regular event.

Blog Entries
    We've got a 4k predator.
    But I gotta replace the tank due to internal rust. It runs. Does so. But it Will clog the filter in the valve at Times.
    Hey Petunia...you dropped your man pad!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by protus View Post
    We've got a 4k predator.
    But I gotta replace the tank due to internal rust. It runs. Does so. But it Will clog the filter in the valve at Times.
    We'll keep an eye out for that. Thanks

i'm sort of new to you tube...
    interesting videos on generators...

then I googled.
    https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/tiger-generator.html

anybody want to do a "group buy?"

am I reading these prices correctly?

Blog Entries
    rr,

The issue with most of the cheap Chinese brands is parts availability. I've checked most brands and getting them repaired or replacement parts can be dicey. I ended going with a Briggs and Stratton 5kw setup. A little pricey up front, but I can get parts (carb rebuilds, filters, etc.) locally and are in stock (I checked).

The local home improvement store didn't have the model I wanted in stock so I ordered it with free shipping. Will be here Tuesday.

Thanks for the input

understand jimmy,

for future reference for all.
    we are having some concrete work done...

guys showed up with excavator, tools etc.. today.
    the first thing that they took off the truck was a champion 1800.
    it looked like they had used it for a boat anchor...
    it cranked right up and they started cutting boards...
    I started to tell them I had electricity inside building, but decided to watch the generator perform.
    I asked about it... and got a very positive response.

I have a onan that needs repair-ran it part time since 1952 finally gave up- parts are there though(factory), only 2200 not really big enough. I now use a cheap remote start champion for the last couple years. Runs 5-8 hours a day 3 days a week fall winter, no need in summer. For the money the champion was a cheap buy but it works. I also have a RED DR it runs good but pulling on the cord in winter just about kills me. So remote start on the champion works when I have on my BVDs and its 0 degrees out. Only thing I did to help all of them was use AIMsOIL syn oil Made a huge diff in winter, on starting. Only the onan burn oil all the others are fine on the syn.OIL. You gotta change oil and follow the maint in the owners manual. It stopped at the first year and it was the spark arrestor needed cleaning, go fiqure. All are 4000, seems to run all that I have.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
    a few close associates have
    onan in their rv's... run on propane... I've been thinking about looking for salvaged onan from burnt/wrecked rv.
    rr,
    Onan is what I have in my rv. Great generators but (isn't there always a but?) they're VERY proud of their parts. An associate had to replace the carburetor in his...almost $300 and that's just for the part. I replaced it for him so his labor was free (well, maybe a beer or two after I was done :-).