FLIR Thermosight Pro 536 Current Specials HALO Medical Supplies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR10 .308

AR10 .308

Got one in a trade from a training bud. DPMS brand, big old honking heavy thing.

Has an AR type action/charging handle but also has a screw in handle on the bolt carrier itself- so you can charge it like an AK.

Brought it over to the range yesterday after throwing an Aimpoint PRO on it. All my .308's have scopes already on them and before I bought a higher dollar scope I wanted to be sure I wanted to keep this thing.

Got the PRO zeroed to it within about 4 shots with my wife directing via a spotting scope.

Shot two twenty round mags through it, counted FIVE jams. Yes I realize it's an AR based platform but damn, 5 in 40 rounds? Good new brass cased German .308 that I shoot all day long through a couple of M1A's and a FAL with never a hitch, so I know it's not the ammo.

Playing with the gun dry at home with empty mags, I notice 1 mag locks the carrier back and the other doesn't. But the jams happened in BOTH magazines also.

I've seen AR10's previously at classes that went teets up really easy. Is this par for the course or should I investigate something further? The thing is a tack driver, no doubt there, but if the tacks aren't going anywhere, it's useless. I'm not a collector.

Experiences with the AR10?
    Last edited by Lowdown3; 10-17-2017 at 01:08 PM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

Blog Entries
    It's an AR.
    Sorry....
    At first I read it as ar180 .. 80's flash back.
    Hey Petunia...you dropped your man pad!

Never invested in an AR because of price vs. AK/SKS. Using Norinko and copper-washed bulk ammo in both platforms...never a jam or failure to feed. X39 isn’t .308, but as a short range BR, I feel that it’s the better choice for me. Welcome back to the kalashnikov family.

folks want to know...

what did you trade off for this wonderful tack driver?

I know the answer... "nunya"

Gear related trade, thankfully did not part with any working firearms for this...

I've had AR10T-C and a AR10A4. Never had any real problems with them as I recall.
    DPMS, especially the older ones, were not known for their dependability. I'd trade it off vs investing anything in it. Just not worth it.

Bob

Seasoned
    Im an AR guy and never (pun intended) pulled the trigger on one. For years various manufacturers have come out with the AHH HAAA we finally got right and for years they all have been finicky to junk. One of my favorite manufacturers stayed away from making them for this reason but because of the glut in the AR market they just released one. Still havent fired it but not expecting much... their is a reason they arnt sold in quantities like the other calibers.

Super Moderator Patriotic Sheepdog's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have always read poor reports on the AR-10's. Like RobertJ stated many manufacturers have "finally found the ancient secret", but nada....its still elusive. Thats why I invested in a FAL...tried, and proven around the world. Trade it for a FAL if you want a semi-auto .308
    Protecting the sheep from the wolves that want them, their family, their money and full control of our Country!

Guns and gear are cool, but bandages stop the bleeding!

ATTENTION: No trees or animals were harmed in any way in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were really ticked off!

NO 10-289!

Have had a few FALs over the years, not too impressed with reliability.

HK91, FAL, M1A Scout, M1A full size, now the AR10, have not found a .308 semi auto with decent reliability.

Dunno, I run 2 AR-10's but they are Armalite.
    Don't know why but something always felt odd about the DMPS's AR-10s.
    Both my Armalites have been cherry with no problems.
    One is a carbine barrel and the other is full length.
    Maybe I'm lucky but they eat everything.
    Only gripe is Modded M-14 mags or Armalite mags fit them but I'm past worrying about that aspect.