FLIR Thermosight Pro 536 Current Specials HALO Medical Supplies

Black Monday 30 years ago today

1987 stock market crash.

Being a new survivalist at the time and only a teenager, I didn't know the significance. I mean come on, the parachutes were not falling on the high school football field yet, so this must not be THAT bad.

What's interesting is that later that day I happened to be talking on the phone with a guy I had been corresponding to via the "Survivalist's Directory" in the old American Survival Guide magazine. He happened to be in my town working and we talked for a while. He talked about some friends who were freaking out and had gone to their local gun store that day and stocked up because of the market drop. Honestly I didn't understand much about economic collapse then- hell I was 14!

Later I would understand the implications of it more and the possibility that things could have gotten a lot worse quickly. Such as the nature of things like this, hindsight always being 20/20 and what not. Often times when we are "in" the problem we don't see how big the problem is or potentially could become. This is why it's important to learn to ACT rather than being forced to REACT.

Grabbing the initiative versus sitting there watching things unfold on TV, looking for more "research", etc. Just like the untold tens of thousands that were glued to the TV on 9/11 instead of finalizing preps, getting away from bad areas, etc. The reality was that NO ONE KNEW what was coming next and the attacks could have easily been a precursor to a larger war starting. Sure NOW all the Monday Morning Quarterbacks would say "it was just blah blah blah" and do the "nothing to see move along people" approach. But THAT DAY, NO ONE KNEW.

We have to learn to act on limited information at times, as we will not always have the "big picture." Too often "preppers" get bogged down on "research" and that becomes endless research, which often times goes in large circles but the person cannot even see that. What is missing from the equation is often ACTING on the "research."

Learn to ACT, learn to operate without all the "data".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

14...I really feel old now! I had a sales job in 87 in a large city. Traffic was bad as usual in the way into the city, but as the day went by I noticed that on the major surface streets, traffic was light. I suppose that most folks were glued to TVs or radios in their offices. I had lunch at the local Denny’s where it was usually packed, but not that day. The next day, on a street that was usually packed with cars from 7A to 7P, one could walk across all 5 lanes against the lights. It was almost like one of those apocalyptic movies. I made three stops and none of my large businesses had any customers and were clearly not interested in buying anything. People who had no money in the markets or knowledge of the system panicked and pulled into their shells. It took 2 weeks for business to start rolling again. As you say, they were operating without knowledge. Paralysis was their action. I saw the process repeated the next year when a large government contractor in the area announced layoffs. The turtles were present again before the first person was laid off. I changed careers and moved on. BTW, showing my age, 1974 was worse. Banks would not loan short-term loans to large companies to make payroll, so some went without paychecks for a couple of weeks. Imagine that now.

another reader feeling "really old now" lol.

I was sitting on a small amount of cash that belonged to each child. I had been waiting for a good opportunity to buy into an investment that would be good for them long term.
    our personal finances were "close." not a lot of elbow room.
    then the crash.. should I jump in at this time and take advantage of the "low" ??
    I didn't. it would have been a great opportunity. a close associate had been buying a certain stock. I was following that stock and it was crashing in price.

2 years later after the market had rebounded. I bought the same stock at multiples of the crash price.

it was a good deal for them. as they got older I explained that this was their "college fund."
    if they would work and/or get scholarships then when they graduated from college, that whatever they didn't use for college would be their money. as they grew and got older they began to watch the stock price and we would discuss it. a great learning opportunity. 1 child used none. 1 child only used about 10%.
    bottom line... it worked out well for them. they know that if I had pulled the trigger at crash time that they would have had much much more.

so. how do you know? was this the final "patriots by Rawlins" crash scenario? or just a "correction?"

Quote Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
    another reader feeling "really old now" lol.

I was sitting on a small amount of cash that belonged to each child. I had been waiting for a good opportunity to buy into an investment that would be good for them long term.
    our personal finances were "close." not a lot of elbow room.
    then the crash.. should I jump in at this time and take advantage of the "low" ??
    I didn't. it would have been a great opportunity. a close associate had been buying a certain stock. I was following that stock and it was crashing in price.

2 years later after the market had rebounded. I bought the same stock at multiples of the crash price.

it was a good deal for them. as they got older I explained that this was their "college fund."
    if they would work and/or get scholarships then when they graduated from college, that whatever they didn't use for college would be their money. as they grew and got older they began to watch the stock price and we would discuss it. a great learning opportunity. 1 child used none. 1 child only used about 10%.
    bottom line... it worked out well for them. they know that if I had pulled the trigger at crash time that they would have had much much more.

so. how do you know? was this the final "patriots by Rawlins" crash scenario? or just a "correction?"
    I believe it's Rawles.

benn,
    lol... i'm going to find some medicine/vitamins for CRS someday!

I believe you are Correct! james Wesley rawles

a nod of the boonie to you sir! (that may not be the correct sp of the cover I wear on most days!)

Rawles 10/27/17
    Here are the latest items and commentary on current economics news, market trends, stocks, investing opportunities, and the precious metals markets. We also cover hedges, derivatives, and obscura. And it bears mention that most of these items are from the “tangibles heavy” contrarian perspective of JWR. (SurvivalBlog’s Founder and Senior Editor.) Today, I’m issuing a U.S. stock market crash warning. (See the Stocks section.)
    Stocks (Crash Warning):

The New York Stock Exchange just recorded its 71st “all time high” trading session since the November 2016 Presidential election. The market is now essentially stair-stepping upwards. The P/E ratio of the Dow Jones stocks now stands above 31 to 1. There have only been two times since the early 1880s that U.S. stocks have been so grossly overbought: Just before 1929 stock market crash and just before the 2000 “dot.com” bubble implosion. Consider this an earnest stock market crash warning. It is now very likely that U.S. stock markets will drive into a mountain, in a rocket-propelled vehicle that lacks an Oscillation Overthruster. It is that time, folks: “Eject, Bukaroo, Eject!”.
    Before you get too excited, remember back in 2013'ish he made the call

"get out of all dollar denominated assets NOW!"
    October is typically a turbulent time for the market, with boatloads of small and large "crashes" occurring in October, so there is a 1/22nd chance of this happening in October. No actually since there is only 3 trading days left, there is a 1/3 chance of it happening in October.

The market was due for a pullback LAST FALL per all the "experts" then. It has gained almost 4,000 points since then.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

hmm.
    an associate always said... "its simple. buy low and sell high."
    I have not had the ability to follow that principle.

but maybe bbb may be good investments now.
    and I've been told that there is a 4th b (buildings)