FLIR Thermosight Pro 536 Current Specials HALO Medical Supplies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

That damn commie rifle again!!!

So took the family down to Arena today for the open range event at their 2,200yard UKD range. This is the cool range with the three conex containers stacked on top of each other with the platform to shoot off of and the steel targets out to 2,200 yards.

We shoot off the berm instead of the containers for ease of setup. I finally broke down and bought a "pop up" sun shade tent dealie this summer and we used it there in June to good effect.

Today the winds were fricking howling all day and we had to take the pop up down around 11am because it kept lifting up and almost taking off. The guys next down from us left there's up and about an hour later lost it. You know the wind is bad when the sun shade staked down so well one of the legs BENDS AND BREAKS. This wasn't a cheap one either. Needless to say we were glad we took ours down earlier. Made for crappy shooting conditions with the constant wind and no shade at all there.

At times the holdover for wind to get on steel at distance was pretty great. A .50 cal which is assumed to plow through hurricanes, required at least a 1 foot right holdover to ring steel at 900 yards. A car that is fun to shoot up at a hair under 1,300 had to be held at the front right of the car to get hits on. The effect on the .308's was worse.

I broke down a few months back and bought a decent spotting scope, but this was the first time the family was using it. As you probably know spotting at distance and under bad conditions is an acquired skill. So got a lot of "no call" and pitched more than a few rounds doping the wind at the far distance targets.

I went over how to make a range card with my son and had him draw one out along with guestimates of ranges that he could come with only using the Steiner binoculars, his rifle scope and his Mark I eye ball. He was within reason on the estimates as far as people new to range estimation goes. Then we used the Bushnell laser range finder to get accurate numbers on each and he wrote those in parenthesis next to each estimate.

The highlight of the day was not shooting the car at 1,300 yards but when we brought my wife's AK out. This is a stock side folder Arsenal SGL with a cheap side receiver mount and a 3X30 ACOG.

There was a few targets at between 200 and 300 yards, then there is a draw/ravine and then the next closest target after the ravine is 468 yards. My wife was the first to get the range for that and it was earlier in the day with the good wind gusts as well. After she figured the best aim point with the ACOG for the range, she was achieving 80% hit rates. A small pack was used as a rest. Ammo was Wolf, nothing special.

Later in the day when the wind was no value (but blowing the crap out of us!) my son started ringing the 468 yard target with the AK and achieving a similar hit rate. OK says I, I've hit that far before with an AK, after he's done I'll have to show him up so this doesn't go to his head LOL.

Well damn, he says "I'm going to switch to the next berm on the left." I glance at the range card- "That's 621" I say. "I'll try it" he says.

After a few corrections and finding the sweet spot with the ACOG, he rings the 621 yard target with the AK maybe 30% of the time.

Yes, that "100 yard gun" that every ignorant arse redneck claims won't hit crap past 100 yards after which they immediately scream "MURICA!" was ringing steel at 621 yards with crappy stock ammo and a 17 year old shooting it.

Later it had a 40 something shooting it who achieved similar results.

Couple of the good ole boys there at the shoot took a looking but not being obvious type of notice. I simply said loudly "Damn, 621 yards with an AK that everyone calls a 100 yard gun!"

And here a "kid" and a woman who hasn't trained regularly in years is pushing the rifle past it's supposed limits. A source of pride for me, not in myself but in the fact they have both listened, learned and been teachable all these years.

Crap, I even bought them a nice dinner on the way home! LOL

BTW, the Arena facility is absolutely awesome if you have not been there before you need to go. You can rent a cabin there on the property which is nicer than the Days Inn in nearby Blakely for about the same money. The guy that runs the range is super helpful and knows his stuff. You can drive right up to the shooting spot which is convenient. We stayed at a cabin this time and it was pretty comfortable- as much as the Days Inn but much quieter and SAFER!

Arena website-

https://www.arenatrainingfacility.co...ublic-2-days-1
    Last edited by Lowdown3; 11-18-2017 at 10:45 PM. Reason: spelling

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

IMG_0838.jpg

IMG_0831.jpg

First time the family had shot in that kind of wind also so all in all it was a very valuable practice session.

looks and read like yall had a great time.
    there used to be a gun/ammo business in that area... I forgot the name. maybe Dixie shooters?
    it may even still be in business, but I think they closed after a death in the family.
    is this business related to the gun/ammo business that was in that area?
    rr

I don't think so. This is a MAJOR training facility, about 2,500 acres if I remember right. Literally has it's own drop zones....

Seasoned
    Lowdown no offense to you or your family so please dont take as a rub...

Most people who say that cant shoot worth a crap any way. My best friend has a bad habit at the range when someone starts blaming their weapon for piss poor accuracy. Point in case guy at the range in May this year has one of those Century Arms new run of CETMY's. Starts Cussing and moaning Century Arms Monkeys cant build crap and got him "again"!!! My buddy asks if he could try it out...Blah blah blaahh. Century owner hands it over and My Buddy loads in 5 rounds of his own .308 ball. first shot a bit high in the 8 ring. the following four tore out the actual X. Hands the guy his rifle back and says "aint nothing wrong with the rifle." then the guy said almost immediately "its my ammo" my bud mumbles "aint your ammo either." and he walks off.
    He did it to me with a Springfield Armory .45 V10 1911 I was cussing the porting because of the bad groupings I was getting he goes "let me see" fires a mag and makes one ragged hole. "Nope aint the porting" and hands it back to me with a **** eating grin. I just hung my head.

People really believe what they say. Until proven wrong. I didnt get upset with being out shot with my own pistol I learned and made myself a better shooter for it.

I once heard it put this way. People dont know what they dont know.
    Glad yall had a great range day and got to practice at those distances. Hope people can learn from this as well. Sadly most wont believe unless they see with their own eyes.

Most people who say that cant shoot worth a crap any way.
    Definitely agree. And to be realistic, an AR is a lot easier to shoot WELL (accuracy wise) than an AK. Just the difference in recoil between a .22 and a man's rifle alone makes a lot of difference.

The AK also doesn't have the marketing machine behind it that the AR does, everyone participating monetarily in that having a "vested interest" in keeping the standard appellations out there- "AK's aren't accurate" (Utter Bullshiiite) "AKs aren't ergonomic" (guess that depends on upbringing- M1A, M1 Carbine, FN and handful of others operate similar to an AK- including charging handle on right side of gun.

I would argue that the AR "ergonomics" are a plus UNTIL THE WEAPON MALFUNCTIONS, then they are not.

An AK jams- it does happen, about every time Planet X comes around but it does happen. When it does the clearance is just like loading procedure. That clears 99% of any AK jams. With the proverbial "1 in a million" jam (that I've actually seen twice but never experienced) wherein a spent cartridge gets behind the bolt carrier, the clearance procedure is simply doing a shoulder transfer to the left (to give a better view of the problem), removing the dust cover (done with right hand) and clearing the spent cartridge. Rifle can be fired without the dust cover on at that point if need be also. Compare that to some of the more complex AR jams. A lot of folks that don't train regularly ARE GOING TO DIE when those happen because they won't how the hell to fix it quickly. Tap, rack doesn't fix everything. Hell we don't relay on that system but I made my son learn those more complex AR clearance drills because we have to use an AR during FOF training.

And the AR is more likely to be a "battlefield pickup" here in the US than an AK. I expect you will see a lot of Bubba's 'MURICA!' Rifle (BMR) ganked up in dead hands in the PAW due to lack of training and competence with it. Crap, I hate that platform, but I train with it and learn those clearance drills. God forbid I'm stuck fighting with one of those one day and don't know all those complex clearance drills.

Blog Entries
    Most folks dunno how to use irons on the CETME mdl. C. Or FR8 rifles. Since it's a combo peep /combat notched V.
    Let alone how you have to adjust for elevation and windage.
    It makes AKM adjustments look easy lol.

Furthest I've shots been 500+. Learning experience for sure. And that was when I was still in spray pray mode instead of good basic form. After a few times you can really see what works at 50-100 doesn't at 500+. Lots transfers between , but you gotta employ it correctly. From grip,stance,position,etc etc.

I've always looked at my AK as a 300 and in rifle. Mostly due to limits of iron sights,terrain etc in my area and how I'd employ it.
    Doesnt mean it can't hit out further as many have shown.

Now for 600 out if I had a choice.....it wouldn't be my trusty AK...
    That's what my 300WSM. Is for lol .

And I agree on clearance drill for platforms...
    Aks are simple...cetme/Hk series ...similar...
    Drop Mag,,,charge back..reload..until they decide to shear a case off and your stuck with a 10lb club lmao.
    Hey Petunia...you dropped your man pad!

The reality is most preppers who have weapons have not spent the time and ammo necessary to truly develop the skill at arms necessary for survival.

They merely look at their weapons as "possessions" and that is probably why you get such vehement looks and replies when you suggest selling any unreliable weapons or utter useless 12th extra rifle in some stupid odd ball caliber or some arcane design that you cannot get logistics for.

Preppers in general are just mainly hoarders and tend to view preparing as an extended shopping trip. So it should not surprise us to find most HAVE "more than enough" guns- but few that have any serious signs of use (unless bought used) from training. It should not surprise us that most HAVE "more than enough" ammo but react with indignation when you ask "how much ammo do you USE yearly?" Instead of asking "how much do you just have squirreled away."

Being as they treat these things as POSSESSIONS that are "checked off a list" when purchased, and not as TOOLS with which they must become intimately familiar with, they are loathe to go to classes, invest thousands of rounds yearly into developing skills etc.

Max made an absolutely hilarious comments recently- "I've beginning to think that preppers are not the tactical chosen ones." LMAO

Seasoned
    I walked into a friend of a friends garage, trading out some AR-15 assembly knowledge for some ammo. He "attempted" to assemble a lower receiver and boogered it up watching a "how to" on You boob (tube). Glad I brought my own spare parts kit he lost his detents and bent 2 springs. Any way got his receiver running and he walks over to a storage rack and hands me my payment. A battle pack of 5.56. I ask him about all the wooden crates he has of some x39 norinco steel core stacked 5 high and 6 or so wide. Said hes been sitting on it since mid 80s and Its his go to for SHTF. I said what do you practice/go to classes with?...

Blank stair from him.

You have taken a fighting rifle class?

I dont have the money for that crap, plus I've been shootin all my life and used ta hunt some.

Get to the range much? you know that seel core aint gonna shoot the same point of impact as ball.
    Another blank stare...

I shut up then and there, took my ammo thanked him and left. I wanted to say so much but knew it would be wasted breath.

yup gonna be a lot of dead preppers come TEOTWAWKI.

I always Jokingly(?) say I'm going to the Ocala national forest shortly after an event and picking up some nice gear from all the dead people.

I thought I saw a mention of a 50.. this morning, I don't see it... too much drinkin' I reckon?
    anyhow,
    if there was a 50 nearby at a neighbors position what kind was it? and how did it do?

someday, i'd like to be one of those hoarders you mentioned.. 1 of each!!