FLIR Thermosight Pro 536 Mini BNVD DKX M7 Level III HALO Medical Supplies

Thread: First calf!

First calf!

So one of the heifers we bought last June came prego from the auction.

We named the heifer "Frappe" (think coffee drink) when we got her and she's been one of our biggest heifers the whole time.

It was only in the last couple weeks before she calved that we could really tell something was different. Acting a little different, her stuff poking out the back more, and finally the udder filling up.

Cue old Jeff from the campouts saying "that sounds like an udder disaster" LOL

So we went over to the property one morning as part of our normal chores and upon giving them some food I check out Frappe's backside.

Her junk is poking out even worse, and occasionally I'm seeing something purple. Her Harris Teeters are filled to the breaking point. I figure this is it.

Tell the family to drive back to the house, get some supplies, water, gatorade and some camp chairs, we may be here a while.

Nope. She walked off after breakfast by herself and I knew it wouldn't be long. Laid down, kicked at her stomach a couple times, got up, moo'ed a lot, pushed a little. Soon I see hooves. I love births, they are cool as all get out, would have loved to be a midwife, bovine midwife will have to do.

Pretty soon out flopped a calf. The family got back just in time to see it. Momma cow broke the sac, started licking the calf. Within about 5 minutes the calf was trying to stand, floundering around with long legs and little body. She reminded me of an AT AT from Star Wars LOL.

I assumed the calf was a boy. It wasn't till a few days ago we saw her tail raise as she pee'd and my wife said "told you, it's a girl!" These aren't exactly rabbits so we can't hold them up and check.

Second day, we check on them, baby Frappeta isn't to be found. We go into search mode. Wife is on inside of fence at one point near the mom, I'm on the outside of the fence between electric and secondary fence at prop line looking. Momma cow starts acting aggressive with my wife as I get close to the baby. "I think your near the calf!" my wife says while she walks off adding that "i'm not going to get butt'ed." Sure enough, little girl is hiding in some high grass while Mom munches grass. What can I saw, we are new parents LOL.

Best part is that she is unrelated to our bull, so we just added another breeder to the herd at no additional cost.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

Frappeta.jpg

Forgot to put pic up.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

congrats! lots of benefits to having cows.

Blog Entries
    Congrats..awesome.
    Hey Petunia...you dropped your man pad!

Super Moderator Patriotic Sheepdog's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Lil' Frap....very cool.
    Protecting the sheep from the wolves that want them, their family, their money and full control of our Country!

Guns and gear are cool, but bandages stop the bleeding!

ATTENTION: No trees or animals were harmed in any way in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were really ticked off!

NO 10-289!

Frappetta is doing well, growing like crazy. She will become part of the regular herd.

Got to finish a last slice of fencing for the pasture divisions this summer, but everything else is going well with the cows. I brought 10 rolls of hay over there for them for the winter and it just lasted. So will likely put a few more over there this next winter. Should be adding two more heifers in a month or so also.

If we sell a load of calves once a year and it pays the property taxes and sticks a little cash in the pocket, so be it. Outside of that we will have some fertile fields, a lot of fun and a load of beef in the freezer every so often.
    Boris- "He's famous, has picture on three dollar bill!"

Rocky- "Wow! I've never even seen a three dollar bill!"

Boris- "Is it my fault your poor?"