DBAL-I2 IR Laser with IR Illuminator

Trijicon Miniature Rifle Optic (MRO
FLIR Scout TK
Mt. House Freeze Dried 1-Month Starter Unit
    2013 Site Supporter jimmycthemd's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Shotgun Home defense rounds

I'm resurrecting an old friend...a Mossberg 500 that's pushing 30 years old. I'm real familiar with 00 buck and slugs, but was wondering what most folks would use for home defense (inside the house). The considerations are pretty obvious...enough to be (potentially) lethal but not so powerful as to go through 3 walls and then outside possibly harming a neighbor.
    "Common sense might be common but it is by no means wide spread." Mark Twain

With shotguns, the cup keeps whatever load you're shooting in a fairly tight pattern.
    If you want to emulate the old blunderblus, you can can load the shell with wadding and no cup. Aimed down the hallway, the shot will go everywhere, definitely NOT a tight pattern.
    BTW #4 buck doesn't penetrate walls like #00 does.

2013 Site Supporter jimmycthemd's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by prc-104 View Post
    With shotguns, the cup keeps whatever load you're shooting in a fairly tight pattern.
    If you want to emulate the old blunderblus, you can can load the shell with wadding and no cup. Aimed down the hallway, the shot will go everywhere, definitely NOT a tight pattern.
    BTW #4 buck doesn't penetrate walls like #00 does.
    Good advice but I don't reload shotgun shells. I do, however, reload my own rifle/pistol rounds. I'll take a look at #4 buck and see how it does.
    "Common sense might be common but it is by no means wide spread." Mark Twain

Veteran of Valor and all around awesome guy!
    For me OO buck is the only way to go for personal defense.
    The military and police use this because it is effective.

Bird shot does not have the mass to penetrate deep enough to do much of anything.

https://www.theboxotruth.com/
    This is a very interesting site, it started out testing some myths about bullet penetration and snowballed into a very informative wide ranging site.
    Remember - birdshot is for birds.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    Member: Veterans of Foreign Wars, Vietnam Veterans of America, American Legion, AMVETS, Society of the Fifth Infantry Division