FLIR Thermosight Pro 536 Current Specials HALO Medical Supplies

Do you even LEFT bro?

A spinoff of the "do you even LIFT bro?" theme. Do you even LEFT bro?

Too often we go to the range and we work on things we are good at, or at the very least really LIKE to do.

So I decided I'm going to spend at least the summer shooting left handed solely. Or as much as I possibly REMEMBER to

My left handed Tagua holster for the G19 came in and is a much better set up than the cheapie kydex left handed holster I picked up at a survival show a few years ago. I took the right handed holster off the belt I wear so no going back... for now that is.

Drove over to the range to do some cleanup and shot around 400 rounds or so left handed. The Glock 19 is reasonably accurate and has the raised night sights.

I worked slow at first, paying attention to where tension came in the body due to bad structure. Too often we get used to "muscling" the gun around that we don't pay attention to this. Often times us "righties" get a lot of tension in the lower back when shooting left.

A little switcharoo of the feet relieved a lot of that.

leftfeetbro.jpg Notice I'm not "blading." My feet are still parallel in a good athletic stance, just with one foot slightly back. If I was "blading" (in general a bad idea) one of the feet would be splayed off pointing towards either the right or the left of the picture instead of pointing towards the top. I tell people to think they are on SKIES. With both feet pointed this way you would go downhill. Once you bladed one foot, your skis would cross and you'd be on your butt.

Too often people get a weapon in their hand and they go totally rigid, look almost robotic in their movement. Don't be afraid to move your body around to release tension created in the shooting position. Find the optimal body structure and position.

The next big issue usually with teaching people to shoot left handed is the lack of dexterity with the "support side" or "non dominant" hand. We see this in combatives a lot. People punch, choke, break arms well when they utilize the right side of the body. Not always the case when it's the left side. This is why fighters are taught to circle away from the "power" hand (typically the right). Although I've seen big dudes knocked out with a left handed jab- (Not mine!!!)

So naturally when people get to trigger control utilizing the left it's typically short bus time at first. This all gets worked through with a lot of practice though.

First problem is usually too much "booger hooker on the bang switch"- too much finger around the trigger.

leftboogerhooker.jpgKeep in mind this is different for everyone. "Back in the day" we were always taught just the pad of the finger, north of the first crease of the finger. The rationalization was that all of your sense of touch was there. The reason I say it's different for everyone is that I've seen people have way too much on there and still make decent shots. In the pic I felt like I had too much purchase- which is why I froze in place and pulled my phone out and snapped the pic. But the shot was good and if the shot is good and you can consistently pull it off with too much purchase, then it isn't really an issue. Like I said, everyone is different.

Inexperienced left shooters typically have between Zero and No follow through early on. This sensitivity takes a while to build up for most folks. Follow through is important whether shooting left or right hand, with most weapons giving you an audible "click" of the trigger reset to let you know your follow through was decent.

leftfollowthrough.jpg At the point of this picture the round has been fired, the loading cycle is complete and in order for me to shoot again, the trigger has to be released. This is where the trigger is released JUST ENOUGH to reset the trigger so the gun will go bang again. You do not need to completely release (jump off) the trigger only to have to start taking everything back up again a split second later. You should hear the audible click of the trigger reset AND your next shot can be immediately broke at that point.

This is where the "I dry fire 7 hours a day but only fire 50 rounds a year" types (I've actually been told BS like that before on the net) really screw the pooch and every time I've trained someone who claimed to do boatloads of dry fire but LITTLE live fire, they usually yurked the trigger and/or their follow through sucked. Not disparaging dry fire, but you have to actually convert money into sound (shoot) as well.

Back to the concept of identifying and dealing with tension in the body while shooting-

leftcant.jpgWhy is the pistol slightly canted here? It's not cuz I yelled "break yo'self foo!" and starting "throwing" bullets LOL. It's because when you put your arm out in front of your body like that the fist naturally turns in a bit. When we turn the wrist up more vertical it typically creates tension in the shoulder. Wait just a minute, he keeps talking about removing tension from the body blah blah blah, who gives a crap! Well you will once you have to do some dynamic movement while shooting and you will see that artificially trying to keep your wrist vertical won't work out really well. Make fists and do some knuckle pushups, then stand up put your arms in front of you as you did when doing the knuckle pushups. See what I mean?

So it's not a "full homee" hold, it's just a little canted. I removed my other hand to take the pic without moving the left from the position of the two handed grip. Shooting one handed with the left you may find a slight cant necessary.

leftresults.jpgThis was the target I focused most of my attention on, but I did work through shooting multiples and some one handed point shooting with the left also. I think I'm going to stay with the left hand at least all summer or at least till my left handed shooting targets resemble my right hand shooting targets.

DO YOU EVEN LEFT BRO????
    Boris- "He's famous, has picture on three dollar bill!"

Rocky- "Wow! I've never even seen a three dollar bill!"

Boris- "Is it my fault your poor?"

Well it's been close to a year since I started shooting almost solely left handed for pistol.

Put 4-5,000 rounds down range left handed. Will most likely continue to shoot left handed for 60% or more of my practice.

left219.jpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."