FLIR Thermosight Pro 536 Mini BNVD DKX M7 Level III HALO Medical Supplies

EMP...I am still hosed, but....Solar is cool.

I took the plunge and put in some solar panels at the house. Capture1.JPG

41 panels covering all of my power needs and then some. Still have to put in a battery bank for those night time hours but getting off the grid is getting closer.

Blog Entries
    Sweeeeeeeeett
    Details if you can..cost,available output etc.
    Congrats.
    Hey Petunia...you dropped your man pad!

Solar Schtuff...

Quote Originally Posted by protus View Post
    Sweeeeeeeeett
    Details if you can..cost,available output etc.
    Congrats.
    So all in I am financing this for $18,000....but before you freak out, my monthly power bill is $260 and my payments will be $168 per month. So a $90 surplus. Since during the day I am not there, what I dont use will be sent to power company (Duke) and I will be credited for that power. I wont get a check, but the credit should (so I am told by other people doing the same thing) offset the night time use of dukes power when the sun goes down. There is a 6500 rebate from Duke and another 5000 in tax incentives. My house sits in a open field with 100 yard visibility in all directions with no trees to block sun so during the summers I will have almost 12+ hours of sun. Duke is coming today to "energize the system" (flip the switch) and I am pretty excited. Next step is to get a battery bank. Oh, and it was 12kw of power. Presently all the modules are pushing power, and it is averaging right now about 8kw.
    Last edited by tarheelsman71; 06-07-2018 at 02:13 PM.

Congratulations on a big step.

Pretty good roof pitch as well, did you do the install?

It was hard enough putting panels on our 4/12 roof years ago, that pitch looks much higher!

Congrats on the system, very cool!

Do you know what the effective buy back rate is?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

I let the installers do the deed. Turned out a good friend of mine played rugby with the lead installer about 5 years ago. He said the 41 panels usually took 1 day to install, but took 3 because of the pitch and the heat. It was over 90 the days they chose to install. The guy came back out to "energize" the system and we sat down and talked about solar. We are in NC (too close to charlotte for me) and he said that 90 percent of his installs are in western Carolina area in really small cabins in the middle of nowhere.

As for the buy back. There isnt a "buyback" option anymore. Went away 2 years ago. They have a "credit" that you get for the power that you are sending to the grid, but I dont know how that computes yet. interweb says .10ish cents per kWh, but I will have to wait and see if that is right. Capture.JPGCapture2.JPG

I really like the nerdy details on the output and what we are using.

i'm impressed...
    i came close with 3 different dealers then they got "funny" about the financing... basically wanting 90% of the money up front and similar things.
    part of the problem is that i'm a pretty good distance from a major market...

anyhow, i just aquired another generator and put solar on the back burner... but maybe someday.

Quote Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
    i'm impressed...
    i came close with 3 different dealers then they got "funny" about the financing... basically wanting 90% of the money up front and similar things.
    part of the problem is that i'm a pretty good distance from a major market...

anyhow, i just aquired another generator and put solar on the back burner... but maybe someday.
    At this point, I have not paid 1 cent so far.

So, I received the $6,000 rebate check from Duke Power. No I did not buy night vision from JRH (although I should ) Also I now have a credit of $215 dollars in my Duke Power account. My average usage for power is 39kwh per day. My average production with the 41 panels is 68 kwh's. given it is the middle of the summer so the sun is out a lot. My peak day is 78kwh and I have a lot of 70ish kwh days. We just got done with some crazy rain here in the middle of NC near Charlotte (not that near) and on one of the worst days we had I still produced 22kwh.