FLIR Thermosight Pro 536 Current Specials HALO Medical Supplies

Thread: Pine chips

Pine chips

I have a new pile of pine tree chips in my yard from a rotted pine that fell and went through a commercial chipper. I have read two sides of the story abou pine chips; never use them for garden mulch and, itís ok as long as they sit for a couple of months. Any suggestions?

The big thing I've always heard with any rotting wood in the soil is that it's usually a net nitrogen loss. Supposedly it actually robs nitrogen while it's decaying.

We had some excess firewood one year- all the sheds were full. We placed it alongside the goat pen/building that divides the garden areas. A few years later when rotating that wood, the bottom layer had decayed but the area was teeming with earth worms. So that might be a side benefit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

i'd be proud to use it as mulch... letting it sit and heat up would make it even better... the power company contractor just came through our area trimming trees... i obtained many truck loads of chipped up everything, pine/oak/younameit, and have already strarted spreading it around fruit trees... keep it a few inches (5-6 ) from base of tree.

the workers don't have to haul it to a neighboring county. i saved them time, and disposal costs... and workers got a small tip. this is 3rd year.
    the first year i covered a large garden in prep for next year's garden. other obligations limited our gardening venture... the grass that grows on that area is always vibrant dark green...

there is a video that i think i posted here. i'll look for it.

https://www.backtoedenfilm.com/

there are several youtubes that you can watch.