wasn't sure where to put this post... basics? homestead? economics?

the big storm hit our area hard.
i was at the local tractor dealer and a friend came in and pulled up a stool at the parts counter... he is known for his large pecan operation.
so after some "how's you momanem's" and "been a whiles" here are some of his comments.

he lost around 750 trees "on the ground" and another 250 with root balls leaning.
his crop is lost. the pecans are on the ground and ground is wet. continuing frequent rains. pecans rotting. the morning after the storm he ordered 600 trees (he hadn't even counted yet) and was told delivery would be in 2020...for 6' high trees. farmers that waited to order are now being told delivery in 2021 or 2022.

china buys 150 gillion(i forgot the number, but it was a big number) pounds every year. but not this year. tarriffs are 47% they are going to mexico for their pecans. tarriff is 7% in mexico. this didn't cause a loss to pecan farmers in usa because we didnt' have the 150 gillion to sell in 18.

the park where i volunteer has 3 trees, and they are still straight up, but the leaves were blown off! and they aren't productive yet.
he does not expect price of pecans to go up. which was a surprise to me... he says it's because china has moved their business.
so maybe i'll still get a pecan pie or two at Christmas!

so, i don't know how to store them... we've left them in the shell for a year or two.. my bride has frozen them. i love 'em. like other fruits and nuts, i'd like to get some planted... it takes years for the crops to start showing up!

on a good note. satsuma's aren't supposed to grow here.. but we have a few trees that are really producing right now...
it's taken ?3 years.. this was our 3rd effort with citrus.. this time we planted them where they are protected from wind!