FLIR Thermosight Pro 536 Current Specials HALO Medical Supplies

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Taekwondo at my age

My son and I started taking TKD this October, lets just say it isn't easy trying to stretch like that when you are over 40. We are having fun and learning a lot so much that my daughter quit swimming to join us. I am trying to persuade my wife to join us so that I can fulfill a life long dream of mine by having a family of ninjas...diabolical laughter

No I don't think TKD is the end all be all but getting some physical exercise and striking practice is a good thing. I do think it will lead to other disciplines. I helped the instructor with a "Women's Self Defense" class that he led which was a lot of fun, I played the role of human punching bag. I have learned that I need to control my breathing more when we are sparring....about a minute into it and I am gasping for air.

Anyone else been thinking about getting some training?

Do IT!!!
    "It's a trap!!!!" -- Admiral Ackbar

I played the role of human punching bag.
    That's called "uke" pronounced "oook" or "oookee" (kinda of like wookie without the w) if I pronounce it right. At least in Judo and BJJ it's called an "uke".

Being that TKD is Korean I believe, they probably have a different name for it. Basically demonstration dummy.

Did this for years and still do. My son does it for me when I'm teaching.

It's a good "job" for combatives class and actually you can and should learn a lot in this position. Our instructor used to love demonstrating these nasty looking throws. I would get the "man I'm so sorry" looks from people. But really if you are relaxed even getting thrown where it seems you feet graze the ceiling isn't bad.

A good "uke" will make the instructor look good also. Mine regularly looks at me and says "what do I normally teach after this?" And I remind him or say "I don't think most people got the part about..." and he goes over it again.

Usually one of longest running students are used for uke, kind of a respect thing I think. So if you haven't been at it long and your being an uke, that's probably a really good compliment!

We have to rotate out uke sometimes when we are doing a lot of chokes. I had blood vessel in my head pop a few months back. Helluva headache for the rest of the night.

On the breathing- definitely super important and very overlooked.

With the grappling arts, we get a lot of new people that are stiff/tense as all get out. Just like greco wrestling, they expect it to be all aggression all the time and they think that's going to get them through. I try to give them the "calm down, nothing is here trying to kill your family" talk but it takes a lot of experience for people to calm down. Early 20's just out of military bench press a house types. They don't understand why a 45 year old guy defeats them while he's talking to another person on the other side of the gym and ends the 5 minute round with no gap in breath and they are gassing.

The correlation between proper breathing and only tensing the areas necessary for the work you are doing can't be overstated.

Have fun and congrats! It's an EXCELLENT ACTIVITY to do with your kids. My son and I have been doing combatives together for close to a decade now and it really helps during those teenage years to get out a lot of tension.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

Blog Entries
    Speaking of an older guy...I recently found out that Ed O'Neil (Al Bundy) is a black belt in BJJ...who knew.

I purposefully chose something my son and I could do "together", he is in the kids class and I am in the adult but we go together because our classes overlap. I hope this will help the all of us through the teen years.

I have had a couple of black belts ask me if i had ever taken any training before because of my form...not formally but had a friend that did and i watched a lot of martial arts movies as a kid.
    Last edited by 610Alpha; 01-02-2019 at 08:23 AM.

Al Bundy is a BJJ black belt under the Gracies in Torrance, CA.

The story is that he was invited to a class that Rener's dad was teaching, Helio's oldest son, can't remember his name, they are all R names so it gets confusing.

Anyways, Al looked at him and said to himself, "I'm a big guy, I'm going to demolish this little dude!" and was humbled multiple times that class and he got hooked.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

Blog Entries
    Yep I saw the vid of him explaining how he got into it...what a great story.

I'm 48 and I just started BJJ. It's pretty cool and I think that it has done better for my body than any other exercise! I took Tang Soo Do a few years back and stopped due to a knee injury. Apparently, the twisting was bad for my meniscus...now I only have half of one on my left knee. I thought BJJ would be too rough on my joints, and it probably is, but the younger kids take it easy on me...Lol