FLIR Thermosight Pro 536 Current Specials HALO Medical Supplies
    2013 Site Supporter jimmycthemd's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Christmas Present (Ruger PC Carbine)

My dear loving wife bought me a Ruger PC Carbine for Christmas. Think big brother to 10/22 takedown. Took it to an indoor range and sighted it in at 25 yds. 200 rounds of Remington UMC 115gr round nose and zero failures. It's accurate at that range. Looking at the ballistics, etc., I would guess that it's good up to 50-75 yards. Good for fighting our way out of my subdivision or home defence.

Advantages:

1) Shoots the same ammo as a lot of my pistols so no re-stocking/re-tooling my reloading.
    2) Take down gives me more options for concealment while out and around.
    3) Comes with Mag well adapters for either PS9 or Glock magazines. (Includes 1 17 round PS9 mag).
    4) Looks like a 'normal' rifle, not a scary tacticool black rifle.
    5) Comes with butt stock spacers for length of pull adjustments (adjusted it to fit my wife as well as myself).
    6) Very light recoil.

Disadvantages:

1) Limited range

I'm deciding on which mags to set it up with long term. More folks have Glocks than Rugers and Glock mags are less expensive than the Rugers and come in a variety of capacities. What I'm not sure of, if I go Glock, is whether to go with the stainless steel or polymer mags. I'm not that familiar with Glock mags so not sure what the trade-offs are. It says anything gen 3 and later will fit. Any feedback on this subject is welcome.
    "Common sense might be common but it is by no means wide spread." Mark Twain

I like it. If it shoots as good as it looks, you have a good one. A few years ago, I had a Sub-2000...the folding rifle. It used 9mm Glock mags, which was good for standardization for me. At 25 yds, It was very accurate, never tried anything beyond that. Alas, a unplanned bill made it go away.

Blog Entries
    Well, I ended up going for the Glock mags (don't own a Glock or Ruger handgun). I got a 17-round and 2 24 round for the Glock 17/34. Shot about 500 rounds (250 Remington UMC FMJ 116 gr and 250 of my reloads, also FMJ 115 gr) with no failures and pretty accurate. Well satisfied with the choice.

Can't go wrong with factory Glock magazines. Well I can safely say that for Glock pistols anyways

Magpul Glock mags do o.k. you may find that you can't get the last 2 rounds in there hardly ever.

KCI mags are cheap but are hit and miss. I've had some in the training bag 10 years that have given me little trouble, I've had others that jam every time they are used. 90% of my pistol mags stay loaded. Every month and a half or so they are all unloaded, then loaded again later that day and put away till the next time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

Blog Entries
    OK, I've had this for a few months now. I added a SIG ROMEO5 and it's a pretty good platform for relatively close in (50-75yds or less). The ROMEO5 comes with two mounts and I put the taller one on so I can use the iron sights for backups. It's accurate and I can put several hundred rounds through it without noticeable barrel drift. No failures yet with a couple thousand factory ammo mixed with my reloads. Bottom line, it's a solid gun.