FLIR Thermosight Pro 536 Current Specials HALO Medical Supplies

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

chain saw files/sharpening

i know most of you are woodsmen and real comfortable with a chainsaw and keeping it sharp.

i'm not.
    i can run one, but am poor with a file. real pitiful... so i get a couple of loops dull and haul them to my local fix it all and he puts them on his grinder. sometimes it's 5$/per and sometimes 7$.

stihl has come out with a file that also lowers the "spacer" that's not the correct word. it sets the depth of the cut...
    called a "2 in 1" and costs about 40.
    i bought one for a small saw and a medium sized.. after first use...
    the small saw, got better, the medium saw turned into a wood cutting beast!!

if the shtf, my dull loops would put me in a bind, in a hurry.
    till now!

this thing has 2 round files built in and a flat file, that supposedly handles both the cutting surface and the "spacer" at the same time...
    if you see yourself cutting much wood, and you are awesome with your single round file, you don't need this!
    if you ain't, then consider spending the 40. you'll need one for each size chain you have.

l

URL/Link?
    Got me interested

Same here, pic pic pic!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

This is the one we've been using for years-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/STIHL-CHAIN...MAAOSwgN9bTNX9

The spacers/risers whatever they are called- I'm not sure they are supposed to be filed every time the cutting teeth are filed. Can't really remember to be honest. I only hit them about once in every 4 or so sharpenings.

I taught my son to do this and other chainsaw prep work also so if we are out cutting a lot, he can tighten/fix one saw while I keep working with the other. Now when I tell him to go get the saws prepped, I come out after a while and he's got everything topped off, tightened and sharp.

This semester is almost over for him, so we will be cutting more wood again soon. Still got a lot of hardwood down on the ground over at the range property that needs processing.