FLIR Thermosight Pro 536 Current Specials HALO Medical Supplies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Emergency cash- greenbacks/FRN's

How much should one keep? Your thoughts on this-

A few weeks expenses worth? A month? Six months?

The logistics of storing a lot of cash get difficult.

Why and why not?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

Super Moderator Patriotic Sheepdog's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well, I think you should have at least 2 months of expenses in FRN...cavat: you need FRN for food and housing expenses (water bill, electric, etc.) The credit cards, car loan(s) and other recurring bills like Spotify, Apple, Netflix, Cable TV, Internet can wait. If things are not turned around in 2-3 months then we will likely have other issues like hyperinflation, or a new currency and FRN will be required to be turned into the .gov and will not be taken by merchants. That is where precious metals will come into play, even though the .gov will likely make those illegal to own if TSHTF....so a black market will be in full swing.
    Protecting the sheep from the wolves that want them, their family, their money and full control of our Country!

Guns and gear are cool, but bandages stop the bleeding!

ATTENTION: No trees or animals were harmed in any way in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were really ticked off!

NO 10-289!

Blog Entries
    this is one area we are bad at.

We don't keep much cash on hand or at the house. I do think we should in the event that there is a run on ATMs/Banks.

I have some silver bullion if that counts.

IMO I am not sure that keeping greenbacks for the SHTF event would matter compared to having silver or gold. If the reset button is hit I doubt the greenbacks would be used again or allowed to be exchanged for the new currency.
    "It's a trap!!!!" -- Admiral Ackbar

6 months greenback, small bills, no larger than 20's.

forgot to add:
    $500 to $1000 face value silver dimes for if/when greenbacks lose their luster.

Worst case you're not out much since nothing gets interest any more.
    Last edited by prc-104; 01-02-2019 at 12:19 PM.

our recent windstorm had many folks and businesses without electricity for over 2 weeks. no electric means no computers..
    so having cash for 3 weeks worth seems to be a minimum suggestion.
    6 months to a year... absolutely if folks have that kind of resources!
    i need to print this thread for when my own finances get stronger!
    --
    where to keep it? safe? or hidden in a couple of places in the house/barn/ out of sight and "unlikely"

why?
    in our area if electric is down, the banks lock the doors..
    you could have 100k in the bank, but if they lock the doors, it isn't available to you!

why? because this is the most common form of normally traded currency and normal store of wealth. it is recognizable... from the town drunk to the town's wealthiest, everyone recognizes a quarter and a $20 bill...

Administrator
    We keep a minimal amount of cash (bills) but hundreds in coins. Now that I'm retired and home most of the time, I guess it would be safe to keep more cash in the house. Maybe I could put it under the pile of tools, nuts, bolts, screws, sandpaper scraps, etc. on top of the workbench in the garage. No one would ever find it there! Our expenses are pretty low, so we could get by with $1-or-$2K for 2-3 months.

Quote Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
    where to keep it? safe? or hidden in a couple of places in the house/barn/ out of sight and "unlikely"
    Best answer I have is: "Don't put all your eggs in one basket".
    Same with with your food, guns and ammo.

Blog Entries
    Put caches in your yard (near by woods or ________) on a no moon or overcast night. Pick your spot in the day time and make your own geo cache map.
    "It's a trap!!!!" -- Admiral Ackbar

ok... when i get ahead, i'm gonna hide some greenbacks .
    but, some folks get a little forgetful as their hair turns gray...

who are you going to tell that there is a container including some cash out by the
    oak tree? or under the carpet in the bedroom closet...
    your children?
    your best friend?
    your best hunting friend?
    your new wife?
    your preacher man?
    your girlfriend?

who?

Administrator
    My ex and I buried a number of caches on our hunting land. I drew a map with compass readings and pace counts from a single starting point.

Never found any of it....because the starting point was a specific tree and it got chopped when my dad had a logging company come in to clean out some old growth...