FLIR Thermosight Pro 536 Current Specials HALO Medical Supplies

Failure point- Chainsaws

Had a gas cap break on my Stihl 290 yesterday. I keep mental track of what spares we have, but I didn't remember having extras of the gas cap.

How do you run without it? Answer- you don't unless you can purpose build a new one.

Factory new ones are a whooping $5. each. I have four extras now.

In 10+ years of using that saw pretty regularly I had not had a problem with the gas cap. Hopefully those 4 will last me for the 'pockeylips.

Thought came to mind- is the oil fill the same cap? I'll find out in a bit, assuming yes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

Administrator
    When I consider all of the regularly used power tools we own, the concept of keeping a stock of spare parts for them has me envisioning the need for a warehouse! We do keep a lot of spares for different equipment and systems. Thankfully, we had spare heads, pipe and 90s after a neighbor backed out of his driveway onto one of our sprinkler heads, breaking the sprinkler and the connecting pipes. Not the most fun digging up the yard in 90+ temps, but at least there wasn't a run to the big box involved.

Chainsaws are critical, especially during hurricane season. We have a couple of backups, but the Husqvarna is our workhorse for cutting down trees and slicing some logs for firewood. I'll remind my better half to give it a good inspection and make sure we have some repair parts in the bin.

Super Moderator Patriotic Sheepdog's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    agree with wwdnet....warehouse...

Just had a spark plug cable for my little 800w generator (Harbor Freight...yeah, yeah, its a HF that is 10+ years old and still running fine) get a crack in it where it connects to the plug. I start it about every 2 months and put it under load and this time it wouldn't start, I guess the heat in the shed finely got to it. Checked and found the bad wire. While repairing that, I replaced the fuel line as it was showing its age as well. Bought extra cable and fuel line at the same time to store with the extra plugs. Up and running in about 30 minutes worth of work. My bigger 8000w genny isn't as old, but will be ordering a spare cable and checking fuel line in it as well.
    Protecting the sheep from the wolves that want them, their family, their money and full control of our Country!

Guns and gear are cool, but bandages stop the bleeding!

ATTENTION: No trees or animals were harmed in any way in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were really ticked off!

NO 10-289!

Administrator
    Don't mention the genny! It's inside an insulated building and we run it every month to make sure it's good to go. We have a backup but the big one will backfeed into the house and will run the whole house including AC, minus electric water heater and oven, and the small one will only run the fridge, freezer, and some fans!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by wwdnet View Post
    When I consider all of the regularly used power tools we own, the concept of keeping a stock of spare parts for them has me envisioning the need for a warehouse! We do keep a lot of spares for different equipment and systems. Thankfully, we had spare heads, pipe and 90s after a neighbor backed out of his driveway onto one of our sprinkler heads, breaking the sprinkler and the connecting pipes. Not the most fun digging up the yard in 90+ temps, but at least there wasn't a run to the big box involved.

Chainsaws are critical, especially during hurricane season. We have a couple of backups, but the Husqvarna is our workhorse for cutting down trees and slicing some logs for firewood. I'll remind my better half to give it a good inspection and make sure we have some repair parts in the bin.
    FYI, neighbor ran over the sprinkler head for the second time in a week. We'll talk to him tomorrow...tired of replacing parts!

Super Moderator Patriotic Sheepdog's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wwdnet View Post
    FYI, neighbor ran over the sprinkler head for the second time in a week. We'll talk to him tomorrow...tired of replacing parts!
    A sharpened rebar next to the sprinkler head may help him change his driving habits....
    Protecting the sheep from the wolves that want them, their family, their money and full control of our Country!

Guns and gear are cool, but bandages stop the bleeding!

ATTENTION: No trees or animals were harmed in any way in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were really ticked off!

NO 10-289!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patriotic Sheepdog View Post
    A sharpened rebar next to the sprinkler head may help him change his driving habits....
    A 2 ft high 4 inch pvc pipe filled with crete will work to. Lol
    Hey Petunia...you dropped your man pad!

spending a lot of time with chainsaws and tractor these days.

just pretend the following is true.
    2 saws... medium and light weights.

smaller, on a hot day after many hours... dropping a tree so that a limb hits the small saw. still works but has some problems... still a lot to do, so haven't bought parts to repair...
    then,
    medium is in loader with small and gas and oil and helmet... headed to barn. in a hurry, other duties calling.. it's been real hot and hours a little long.
    hit a bump or two and medium is on ground and "run over"
    case busted, saw looks ok... amazingly.. till i grab handle and realize handle and controls are broken... balancing act to get it cranked but it still runs.

i need parts and time to fix... "if this was a true story" and it would be embarrassing story too.
    critical tools.

It happens. I think I posted years ago when I was cutting weight and went out in the woodlot to do some sawing late in the day with very limited calories. Tree spun when it started to fall, pinned the saw, scary mess.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

lol... but not funny... there is still half a large pine that broke half way up... i'm leaving it near the house, where it fell as a reminder... when i cut the base, the top spun like crazy fast... close... i don't know how it missed me!

and then there are the words "cutting weight" lol.. yep that would be a factor on these hot days... *the need to cut
    Last edited by rockriver; 05-27-2019 at 07:17 PM. Reason: misspelled how