FLIR Thermosight Pro 536 Current Specials HALO Medical Supplies

M1A Scope recommendations

Have two M1A's, a full size and a "CQB" model with the pistol grip and shorter barrel.

Have not found a fully reliable (AK reliable) .308 semi auto but these have done well enough.

Played around with the standard over the charging handle scope mounts- didn't really care for that setup, not sure why.

Currently have Trijicon ACOG 3X30 chevron models mounted just a little in front of the charging handle on rails.

Works fine out to about 400 then the forward mounting of the scope starts screwing me up. If we can shoot 621 yards with AK's with similar scopes, the M1A should damn well be able to get out that far also. The AK's have the "horseshoe" reticle which looks like a lollipop with the BDC drop downs (to 600) on the stick. The chevron reticles like we have on the M1A's look like an arrow without feathers at the back, with the BDC drop downs on the shaft of the arrow.

Beginning to think that some more magnification would definitely help on the M1A's, but looking for that spot wherein they can still be used for closer range (100-200 yards) quickly as well. Don't want to add an RMR to the top of anything, I think that's redundant and adds too much height as well.

Ideas? What are you all using? Feel free to post pics.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

Super Moderator Patriotic Sheepdog's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    have you looked at the Primary Arms 1-6x24mm SFP Gen III Illuminated Riflescope with the ACSS reticle? I do not have one, but have read good things about it. I know it comes in a 5.56 and a .308 versions...I think Hawkeye has one or used one iirc....
    Protecting the sheep from the wolves that want them, their family, their money and full control of our Country!

Guns and gear are cool, but bandages stop the bleeding!

ATTENTION: No trees or animals were harmed in any way in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were really ticked off!

NO 10-289!

I have experienced the same dilemma with a M1 carbine and an 1st gen Mini 14. On the mini, I purchased an Archangel Sparta stock just to find that it doesn’t work with the early models.

Quote Originally Posted by Patriotic Sheepdog View Post
    have you looked at the Primary Arms 1-6x24mm SFP Gen III Illuminated Riflescope with the ACSS reticle? I do not have one, but have read good things about it. I know it comes in a 5.56 and a .308 versions...I think Hawkeye has one or used one iirc....
    OK, so I got one of these and mounted it to the AR10 this weekend.

The AR10 is still a total POS, giving about 50% reliability at best, but the scope was impressive.

Very quick to get zeroed at 100 and was ringing the small silhouette at 419 time and time again really quickly.

100 rounds is way too early to make a good judgement, but so far so good.

My wife's AK is by far our most accurate one, it's the one we ring the 621 steel with at Arena. I'm going to try a 1-8X X39 BDC model on that one. The 3X30 ACOG's do really well with the AK's, but past 400 it's hard for me to see the target well enough with the 3X30 ACOG.

The eye relief was a little tricky at first but the QD mount was relatively easy to work with.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

Super Moderator Patriotic Sheepdog's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowdown3 View Post
    OK, so I got one of these and mounted it to the AR10 this weekend.

The AR10 is still a total POS, giving about 50% reliability at best, but the scope was impressive.

Very quick to get zeroed at 100 and was ringing the small silhouette at 419 time and time again really quickly.

100 rounds is way too early to make a good judgement, but so far so good.

My wife's AK is by far our most accurate one, it's the one we ring the 621 steel with at Arena. I'm going to try a 1-8X X39 BDC model on that one. The 3X30 ACOG's do really well with the AK's, but past 400 it's hard for me to see the target well enough with the 3X30 ACOG.

The eye relief was a little tricky at first but the QD mount was relatively easy to work with.
    LD3, thanks for the update. With that initial review it seems to be what I have read from others that I don't know. Keep us informed on the continued testing.
    Protecting the sheep from the wolves that want them, their family, their money and full control of our Country!

Guns and gear are cool, but bandages stop the bleeding!

ATTENTION: No trees or animals were harmed in any way in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were really ticked off!

NO 10-289!