FLIR Thermosight Pro 536 Current Specials HALO Medical Supplies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Travel trailer question

I have an acquaintance who wants to live in his travel trailer, on the road this winter. As he isnít going to any warm areas, I was wondering, what keeps the water pipes and sewer from freezing. Itís a fairly new 5-yrs old) unit and I assume it is properly insulated, but in RV parks, the water line and the stinky slinky are exposed. That got me to thinking, as my BOL will be the same. Does anyone have experience with this?

we have started doing some camping in an rv. we have an lp gas furnace that we rarely use. and a built in 1500? watt fireplace that we love and if it's real cold we plug in a small cheap electric heater. the two provide plenty of heat for the southeast areas we have camped in.

i also bought a couple of rolls of reflectix insulation from lowe's. cheap.. and lined inside of exterior walls (in cabinet/closet areas) which makes a huge difference in heating/cooling ability. i have not prepped windows with reflectix (or similar product) but window insulation... would be a good idea... most rv's have single pane windows... i did use insulation in skylight and ceiling vents. there are several you tube videos on this subject. i strongly suggest them to your friend.

friend should go to campouts/rallys. he will find folks very willing to share information... google his brand and word rally and campout. also there are many industry groups... such as good sam and fmca. another source of info is his local campground... private, military, coe, etc... set up his and then walk the campground, or hang out at the pool/pond/game room/etc... and quiz folks... "hey, i'm heading for montana this winter. how do i keep this camper from freezing? you ever traveled up north?

if i was in sho' nuf cold yankee land, i'd insulate the pipes you discussed and maybe add a heat strip down them. disconnecting the sewer line and capping off the wet bay should hold sufficient heat for that area... i have seen some light bulbs added to wetbay area, i have not added reflectix to storage bays... that would help in the "sho 'nuf" cold area also.

i would not assume it is properly insulated. some look mighty nice and fancy, but priced cheap... so manufacturer has to same $$ somewhere.
    Last edited by rockriver; 09-17-2019 at 08:09 AM. Reason: add last paragraph.

I wouldn’t have thought of the cabinets, great info. I had told him that it would be a good idea to insulate the area around his water heater because the manufacturer split-off all the water pipes in that one area. It looks like the inside of a steam plant. Maybe a light bulb in that compartment as well. BTW, what little cold-weather camping we have done (45*), we run a small electric heater and save the propane. Where he is going, Montana, he will need some extra tanks just in case snowy roads keep him from getting to a propane fill station. No thank you, I’ll stay here in warm Florigabama.

my use of montana was a pure tee guess of where it might get mighty cold... i've heard stories of folks piling up snow around bottom of campers to help insulate... skirting.. sheesh...

some folks use little buddy heaters hooked to propane tanks,

he's headed to an area out of my league!
    seriously suggest getting some advice from youtube, google and others near where he is heading!

Super Moderator Patriotic Sheepdog's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    just did a quick YT search and found this...watched about half and it seems to have good ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sORrlTH2hM
    Protecting the sheep from the wolves that want them, their family, their money and full control of our Country!

Guns and gear are cool, but bandages stop the bleeding!

ATTENTION: No trees or animals were harmed in any way in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were really ticked off!

NO 10-289!

whew!! montana!!
    i watched patriots youtube... some good stuff...

i'm thinking that they get a lot of snow there... ? general preventive maintenance would sure be in order... i've had cracks develop after 1 year in seams on roof that have a heavy duty caulking applied at factory. i hope his has a fiberglass roof... "self leveling dicor" is his friend. he should check before traveling north and again on arrival.. dicor application anywhere there is hint of a crack developing.

assuming he has a slide out or two... and that they have awning covers... they sag with a little rain. holding snow over time... not good. i don't know how to protect/reinforce. i think i've seen some cloth like material for sale...

i was busy during youtube... if they didn't mention generators... add that to his shopping list.

Administrator
    There are a number of RV forums online, with experienced RVers who are more than happy to share information and provide advice. IRV2.com is a good one that I frequent, but it's not the only one. It just happens to be one where the people are about 99% not rude or condescending toward newbie RVers.

Administrator
    There are awning-type structures that angle over the top of slide-outs to keep off rain and snow. Even so, removing snow and/or ice manually would be needed just like your roof in winter. We don't have slide-outs, so it's a non-issue for us.

Thanks to all for your help, I have passed the info along as well as printing this out for myself. I keep a binder of useful info in my own “tenement on Wheels.” WWD, I like the irv2 forum. I will lurk there often. Yep, snow gets heavy.

if you guys are in georgia or nearby and interested in meeting up at a campground, send me a pm. headed to a coe right soon.