JRH Products
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    After a couple of hours of research, I think I have answered my own question. It seems as if I wasnít the only person with this question. The original reason for high optic mounting on an AR platform was the position of the carry handle on the early models. Now that those are gone, raising the optic may be needed for ergonomics; big heads, gas masks and head-gear necessitates some extra clearance. As I donít usually go to the (government-owned) range with a helmet and gas mask on, I didnít understand the need for the extra height. Itís time for me to practice for those potential conditions. No I havenít practiced this. Yes, I was wrong. Another problem that I donít have is clearance for tall front sights. As my import rifle doesnít interfere with my optic, I didnít see that problem that some platforms may have. I watched some good videos that showed sight pictures through optics where the red dots were obscured by the front sight post. Food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Foster View Post
    I have a question concerning optics. When I mounted my Romeo 5 on my project, I used the riser that was included. One can see the factory sights, barely if you squint. I have been watching videos and some shootem-up movies lately where the optics are mounted as much as 5Ē above the receiver. Is there a point to that? BTW, I removed the riser on mine and I am going to the range when it reopens. My idea is that the closer to the barrel, the lesser the sight/bore angle. You comments/criticisms are welcome.
    Sorry I didn't see the original question till you wrote your own reply to it!

Optics on high risers has been pushed for "passive" aiming while using NV also. Doesn't work too well with a PVS14, but with a dual tube set it's doable.

It also tends to kill the tendency to turkey neck and when your head is up more versus cranked over (turkey necking) the concept is that you will have more "situational awareness". While I agree with that to a point the bigger issue is getting your head "in the gun" so much that you tend to lose track of what's going on- essentially the reason why you went to the gun in the first place. Dropping the muzzle a bit opens up the view considerably for scanning.

We do some "unique" scanning drills at our classes that make people ACTUALLY scan versus the BS sideways glance cursory take that is usually approached. Even how we set and mark targets on the square range is set up to make people ACTUALLY scan.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."