FLIR Thermosight Pro 536 Current Specials HALO Medical Supplies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

i'm brand new at this

what if a newbie shows up at your campfire/church/community cookout/website.

something has clicked that things may not be as they should be and just saw the light.

and you know him and wife and trust them tremendously.... so newbie sits down with a coke and asks...
    what do we need to do first? not, "what could happen?" but what category of items/needs should we deal with first?
    2 items have been discussed recently... both posters thought they were important in order of importance... ( i'll yield to my senior, or just maybe i got the order wrong, but that's not important for this exercise!) the order of importance may depend on what/where you live! this is sort of an "old school" question!!

so i'll restate them
    1. defense items - weapons
    2. water

3. ?

Baby Steps and see what they do with them.

Then leave them alone, see what they come back with later. Best way to not overexpose yourself right off the bat.

Storing 2 weeks of food is a huge deal to new people, but to most of us it's nothing. Start small.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

newbie speaking...
    Leau (pronounced Low. newbie and Leau have known each other for a long time. so no need for last names. some folks think he's from up north. nope. he's from louisianna! ) ,
    glad you and the fam came to the ball park today... got time to walk around the field? thanks! it's been a few weeks since we talked. right away, we went to sam's and bought up some extra groceries, cans of chicken, tuna, big bag of rice, some of it was canned veggies, soup.. but bought bulk where we could.. dried beans, powdered milk, gatorade. that sort of thing.. you said 2 weeks, i suspect we're good for a month or more, without cutting back on the portions. i drank powdered milk as a kid. i didn't like it, but this stuff ain't too bad. bride is trying out the stuff we don't usually use. i think we need to know how, in case the need arrives... wow, those black eyes need a lot of soaking! you didn't mention the internet, but i've been nosing around several sites... hard to tell whose straight up and which are just a bunch of blowhards.

if you don't mind, i've got two questions. in that last storm, we were in a mess. before the first day was over, water system went down! what do you do about that? i was carrying 2 five gallon buckets down to the creek and back just to be able to flush! you know where we live. its
    a half mile to the creek... i couldn't drive... too many trees down. across my own driveway and the road. other folks asked what i was doing... when i told them, they rushed back to the house to get some of their own buckets... lol.. we weren't the only house with poo piling up!

speaking of going for creek water... did you see those reports about that whole community of folks that just marched around shouting, and waving banners about they were demanding folks come give them stuff and fix their apartments, and bring them food! i saw those big ole fat women throwing bottled water on the ground, demanding that they get pepsi given to them... sheesh! and those ole boys brought that water in from out of state. i heard 2 of those ole boys talking. one of them said he was loading up his tent and taking that water back home. he'd paid for that trailer load out of his own pocket. his last comments were "ungrateful bunch of females... and did you see that crowd of nerdowells over there hollering. healthy looking, and could 've been out there helping folks instead of rabble rousin. i'm out of here."

the other thing is... did you hear about that umpire who is buying an AR.. you know what that is i'm sure... it's a civilian version of the military rifle our soldiers use... he thinks we may have civil war. wow. my first thought he's a goof ball for thinking it, but also for tweeting about it! dumb butt for tweeting... but you know, things are getting tense. i know you hunt. have you got any idea about guns... i hear those AR's are the thing to get... one friend said get a Rock River. whatever that is!

p.s. to ld3, apologies for the ending of that last paragraph. but... sort of fits the story line! newbie and all that comes with being newbie!

Super Moderator Patriotic Sheepdog's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
    newbie speaking...
    Leau (pronounced Low. newbie and Leau have known each other for a long time. so no need for last names. some folks think he's from up north. nope. he's from louisianna! ) ,
    glad you and the fam came to the ball park today... got time to walk around the field? thanks! it's been a few weeks since we talked. right away, we went to sam's and bought up some extra groceries, cans of chicken, tuna, big bag of rice, some of it was canned veggies, soup.. but bought bulk where we could.. dried beans, powdered milk, gatorade. that sort of thing.. you said 2 weeks, i suspect we're good for a month or more, without cutting back on the portions. i drank powdered milk as a kid. i didn't like it, but this stuff ain't too bad. bride is trying out the stuff we don't usually use. i think we need to know how, in case the need arrives... wow, those black eyes need a lot of soaking! you didn't mention the internet, but i've been nosing around several sites... hard to tell whose straight up and which are just a bunch of blowhards.

Okay, there are a lot of things that you have to do with stored food from what I have read. I have visited a website called SnPforums.com and, now its been a while since I have been on that site, but that had a bunch of good info there about homesteading and such. Didn't spend a lot of time there, but it seemed like the folks there are happy to help people that help themselves.

if you don't mind, i've got two questions. in that last storm, we were in a mess. before the first day was over, water system went down! what do you do about that? i was carrying 2 five gallon buckets down to the creek and back just to be able to flush! you know where we live. its
    a half mile to the creek... i couldn't drive... too many trees down. across my own driveway and the road. other folks asked what i was doing... when i told them, they rushed back to the house to get some of their own buckets... lol.. we weren't the only house with poo piling up!

You know, that site that I just told you about had something about getting a couple 55gal blue barrels or drums or something. I bet that would keep you from having to haul yourself down to the creek.

speaking of going for creek water... did you see those reports about that whole community of folks that just marched around shouting, and waving banners about they were demanding folks come give them stuff and fix their apartments, and bring them food! i saw those big ole fat women throwing bottled water on the ground, demanding that they get pepsi given to them... sheesh! and those ole boys brought that water in from out of state. i heard 2 of those ole boys talking. one of them said he was loading up his tent and taking that water back home. he'd paid for that trailer load out of his own pocket. his last comments were "ungrateful bunch of females... and did you see that crowd of nerdowells over there hollering. healthy looking, and could 've been out there helping folks instead of rabble rousin. i'm out of here."

You know, I have lived a few years and seen a lot of people that are ungrateful and always wanting a handout. Heck, sometimes they even get violent and try to physically take stuff. People can do crazy things when they are unprepared or scared.

the other thing is... did you hear about that umpire who is buying an AR.. you know what that is i'm sure... it's a civilian version of the military rifle our soldiers use... he thinks we may have civil war. wow. my first thought he's a goof ball for thinking it, but also for tweeting about it! dumb butt for tweeting... but you know, things are getting tense. i know you hunt. have you got any idea about guns... i hear those AR's are the thing to get... one friend said get a Rock River. whatever that is!

Rock River? hmm....I have heard of AR-15's and from what I have heard they are okay. I bet there is a forum, maybe even something like AR15.com (LOL) or ARrifle.com or something like that...just use the web my friend...the web.

p.s. to ld3, apologies for the ending of that last paragraph. but... sort of fits the story line! newbie and all that comes with being newbie!
    My replies in red as the story unfolds....
    Protecting the sheep from the wolves that want them, their family, their money and full control of our Country!

Guns and gear are cool, but bandages stop the bleeding!

ATTENTION: No trees or animals were harmed in any way in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were really ticked off!

NO 10-289!

from noob,
    pat, good to see you again....it's been a while.. and appreciate the advice... leaux told me about a site that had some water filters... filter the water first with cloth and possibly sand,,, then pour it into a big stainless container, and the water goes through some ceramic filters and the remaining water is safe to drink. expensive... i got one, but it cost a lot... found it a place named jrh or something similar... that just about used up our budget for this month...
    --
    you know, i'm getting some stuff off the internet on the websites you sent me to... i even stumbled onto some sites that discussed commie rifles. hard to believe but folks are saying those foreign rifles might be more dependable than our american ones... that's hard to believe... i'm checking further... since i'm barely above a beginner on rifles and stuff like that, i'm thinking that maybe i should just get a .22... and then a shotgun and go shooting some... i remember shooting a marlin 60 that a relative had.... i wonder if they still make them. .22 ammo is cheap. as i recall we could get a box of 50 LR for about 89 cents. i need to check.
    pat, the last i heard you knew something about medical stuff... it's been a while... where could i go to get a couple of medical kits for the car and truck and a bigger one for the house... something for emergencies? i can't buy anything else right now, but trying to plan...
    oh yeah, one other thing, do you know anything about real estate... seems to me that maybe we should move out of our area... lots of good people, but some of the new folks in our subdivision aren't the best, if you know what i'm trying to say... i'm thinking that maybe i could find something a few miles out of town.. maybe an older, but soundly built house on a few acres... my wife likes how convenient we are to walmart, church, pharmacy and the hospital, but she's also getting nervous about some of the stealing and bad stuff that's going on... she's locking the door every time she comes in and goes out.. maybe she's just paranoid.... but, i think she's doing the right thing.

Obviously a BS story cause everyone that shoots 50 rounds a year knows AR's never jam.

MPjam.jpg

But for full disclosure that's the first in about 2,000 rounds or so from that rifle. But that's also about when my Colt and Bushmaster started crapping the bed also. Since most people don't put a lot of ammo down range they don't figure these things out. To give you an idea, I don't have deep stocks of 5.56/.223 and I've been ordering and using on average a case or more per month the last couple months via several rifles. You'll also note that is quality Federal brass case ammo. I have not shot any steel case through any of the "better" AR's I own.

That's called a brass convention...

FWIW, something I've never seen in any grade or level of Kalashnikov, even century's.

Granted an M and P AR isn't anything too special, but Academy had them around Christmas for $449. with a $100. gift card, so even an AR is worth $350 to try

apologies for the BS...
    just trying to allow some folks to inform whoever on what are typical situations... and responses that i have seen...

apologies for the BS...
    just trying to allow some folks to inform whoever on what are typical situations... and responses that i have seen...
    Not a problem. I've been shooting that platform more lately than most AR "fanboys" probably do in a year.

When my BCM goes t!ts up (hopefully never for all the hoopla and price paid) , I will be sure to post that along with a lot of expletives and how the AR has fudged me once again!

Back to previous program already in progress....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowdown3 View Post
    Obviously a BS story cause everyone that shoots 50 rounds a year knows AR's never jam.

MPjam.jpg

But for full disclosure that's the first in about 2,000 rounds or so from that rifle. But that's also about when my Colt and Bushmaster started crapping the bed also. Since most people don't put a lot of ammo down range they don't figure these things out. To give you an idea, I don't have deep stocks of 5.56/.223 and I've been ordering and using on average a case or more per month the last couple months via several rifles. You'll also note that is quality Federal brass case ammo. I have not shot any steel case through any of the "better" AR's I own.

That's called a brass convention...

FWIW, something I've never seen in any grade or level of Kalashnikov, even century's.

Granted an M and P AR isn't anything too special, but Academy had them around Christmas for $449. with a $100. gift card, so even an AR is worth $350 to try
    You didn't use the right lube...duh.

Lol.

At sub 400$ these days ARs are the AKs of tge early 200s.
    Now if only tge ammo was tgat cheap...
    Hey Petunia...you dropped your man pad!

Super Moderator Patriotic Sheepdog's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    from noob,
    pat, good to see you again....it's been a while.. and appreciate the advice... leaux told me about a site that had some water filters... filter the water first with cloth and possibly sand,,, then pour it into a big stainless container, and the water goes through some ceramic filters and the remaining water is safe to drink. expensive... i got one, but it cost a lot... found it a place named jrh or something similar... that just about used up our budget for this month...

--
    you know, i'm getting some stuff off the internet on the websites you sent me to... i even stumbled onto some sites that discussed commie rifles. hard to believe but folks are saying those foreign rifles might be more dependable than our american ones... that's hard to believe... i'm checking further... since i'm barely above a beginner on rifles and stuff like that, i'm thinking that maybe i should just get a .22... and then a shotgun and go shooting some... i remember shooting a marlin 60 that a relative had.... i wonder if they still make them. .22 ammo is cheap. as i recall we could get a box of 50 LR for about 89 cents. i need to check.
    pat, the last i heard you knew something about medical stuff... it's been a while... where could i go to get a couple of medical kits for the car and truck and a bigger one for the house... something for emergencies? i can't buy anything else right now, but trying to plan...
    oh yeah, one other thing, do you know anything about real estate... seems to me that maybe we should move out of our area... lots of good people, but some of the new folks in our subdivision aren't the best, if you know what i'm trying to say... i'm thinking that maybe i could find something a few miles out of town.. maybe an older, but soundly built house on a few acres... my wife likes how convenient we are to walmart, church, pharmacy and the hospital, but she's also getting nervous about some of the stealing and bad stuff that's going on... she's locking the door every time she comes in and goes out.. maybe she's just paranoid.... but, i think she's doing the right thing.
    Yeah, filters can be expensive, but well worth the money. If you got it from JRH then its gonna be a good one and last a while. JRH is good folks and you cannot go wrong with that company.

Okay...a .22lr is a pretty good start on a "survival" rifle. Ruger makes one called a 10/22 and is fairly inexpensive...in fact may be even less then that water filter you bought. A good .22lr in the hands of a well trained/practiced shooter can take down game and would hold off some looters...I mean, you start hitting someone with well placed shots with a .22 and most people will move on to a less defended house. Also,.22lr is cheap, but the days of $0.89 are long gone, but compared to other calibers it is still pretty inexpensive when bought in bulk...and you do want bulk so you can practice. Now a .22lr is not the perfect self defense rifle or a "battle rifle", but it is a start and is easy to use for a new shooter.

As for first aid kits, we can talk hours about that...you will need a kit for the house and cars as well as kits for your person called a blow out kit (BOK). I can set you up with some basic supplies for the home kit and will give you a BOK that I have laying around for training. And speaking of training, just like you need to practice with any firearm you get, having the skills to treat gunshot wounds and a basic understanding of first aid skills is just as important. One afternoon you and I will go over some basic stuff. Anything I give you that is first aid related you just need to buy more of.

As far as moving, well that is a personal choice. Having a house in a big city will be tough if an event happens. The city is not a place to be when people don't have food or water and will be pretty angry. Even the regular Joe will be willing to do almost ANYTHING to feed themselves or their family, and of course the gangs wild it all to get your stuff.
    Protecting the sheep from the wolves that want them, their family, their money and full control of our Country!

Guns and gear are cool, but bandages stop the bleeding!

ATTENTION: No trees or animals were harmed in any way in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were really ticked off!

NO 10-289!