JRH Products

What have you done to prepare SINCE THE PANDEMIC?

What preps have you made? What are you doing differently? What are you short term (this year) plans?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

Kind of got an idea of what the holes were that needed filling. It is looking like this thing will go again either shortly after the social restrictions are lifted or this fall when it cools off and flu season starts anyway.

Went ahead and topped off the LP tank, it is 500 gallons and we have mild winters. I do enjoy eating so we cook a lot but have two Coleman stoves,a white gas and an LP, and plenty of fuel for both so we will eat a hot meal. (Me and a few other boys have been known to crank out some passable grub off a Coleman.) Also have plenty of woods, axes and chainsaws. The fat boy will cook something.

There are still limits on paper towels and TP but we get a roll of each when we go to the store. End of the world or not, I got to keep a clean hiney.

Getting plenty of items to fill up space in the freezer. Got enough treated gasoline stored to run the generator until we can get that freezer emptied.

Getting all those OTC cold and flu meds squatted away. Gatorade powder for fluid replacement.

Vehicle maintenance is up to date. Shouldn't need anything but oil changes for a while.

But whether there is a repeat or not, who knows what could happen in the future? When all these people that have not been allowed to work get hungry, things could get exciting. But since I am a paranoid, er-prudent, man I have means to keep my TP and bacon from the hungry hordes.

The government got a feel of what they can get away with and not face any resistance this time. The next lockdown I anticipate will result in the loss of more freedom than this one did. We might need to see the building of some big igloos.

Administrator
    Not a lot of changes but I did clean a lot of leftovers out the freezer to make room for more meat and frozen vegetables. I'm taking stock every other day to see if there are any holes - I store everything in bins by type (chicken, pork, fish, beef, vegetables, fruit) so it's easy to see if something is going to run out within a couple of weeks. I'm up to about 20# of bacon, which is a staple around here for eating and frying grease, and I'll continue to add more. Paper towels and tp added almost weekly. We both get $60/quarter in free OTC meds and we use every penny of it. I have a large 10-drawer bin filled with meds. We have the means to retain possession of what we have. The garden is growing well so it shouldn't be too long before I can start putting up vegetables. I'm going to stop at the garden center tomorrow to see if I can pick up a few more plants and some fresh seeds - most of mine are 8 years old and won't germinate.

We topped off all the gas cans and added stabilizer so we can run the big generator and the portable if needed, as well as the chainsaws and other gas-powered equipment. The motorhome has a full (stabilized) 80-gallon gas tank and a full 20-gallon propane tank. The mh generator is tested weekly, engine started, tire pressure checked (new tires), AC and heat run, water heater fired up, and the electric/propane refrigerator started up long enough to get down to temp. Non-perishable food and bottled water is all stocked up and we have 2 Coleman stoves with fuel, a small propane grill, a good cooler, ice maker, portable propane heaters, and all the kitchen appliances I need. The motorhome has a working stovetop, oven, microwave, and 2-door refrigerator/freezer. Husband is becoming more aware that we may need it for more than vacations and wants it ready for boondocking. There are a few things in my office that are waiting to get loaded in the basement but that can be done quickly.

The natives are getting restless and I'm hoping our governor will open more "non-essential" businesses in the very near future! People need to go back to work and, quite honestly, kids need to go back to school before the childish mischief accelerates. Regardless of how astute a politician might be, the reality of quarantine life for real American families hasn't made it through the fear of political retribution. It's time to get back to work and to living life as free Americans. Cowering in fear isn't for me.

sold camper at a good price. arrangements made for next one, but 2 months out.

working on a barn. installed a door between 2 bays today. both bays insulated...
    new insulation and some interior framing/walls added. door connects plain area to mechanical and bathroom. it wouldn't be like home sweet home, but insulated and secure if associates unexpectedly arrived and needed shelter.

fuel topped off.

rental house empty. nasty. cleaning and new flooring. increased accessibility. some quiet, calm discussions with certain neighbors about possible risks.
    cleaned out some older "wet foods" the boss warned us about too much wet pack!

culled some associates... recent stresses have allowed us to get a better handle on some folks characters... sad. but thankful to have the opportunity to deal with it now! real thankful!!
    assisted some out of state associates with improving their situations... this event helped open some eyes... i just wished they lived closer

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
    sold camper at a good price. arrangements made for next one, but 2 months out.

working on a barn. installed a door between 2 bays today. both bays insulated...
    new insulation and some interior framing/walls added. door connects plain area to mechanical and bathroom. it wouldn't be like home sweet home, but insulated and secure if associates unexpectedly arrived and needed shelter.

fuel topped off.

rental house empty. nasty. cleaning and new flooring. increased accessibility. some quiet, calm discussions with certain neighbors about possible risks.
    cleaned out some older "wet foods" the boss warned us about too much wet pack!

culled some associates... recent stresses have allowed us to get a better handle on some folks characters... sad. but thankful to have the opportunity to deal with it now! real thankful!!
    assisted some out of state associates with improving their situations... this event helped open some eyes... i just wished they lived closer
    It's been interesting checking out our neighbors to see who's stressing and who is settled in comfortably. Our best bet in a shtf situation are an elderly couple across the street, who both have firearms and the right attitude. I get some groceries for them and take over some baked good from time to time, so they might not seem the best choice, but that spirit of independence and a willingness to protect themselves and others raises their desirability level by many points. Contrast some younger neighbors who are mad because there's not another stimulus check coming their way - diehard liberals, no firearms, and they have to run to the grocery store 3 or 4 times a week. For the most part we have good neighbors, and I hope they're all getting a glimpse of what life would be like if they fail to get their preparations under control for future disasters. It's something we'll be discussing once the physical distancing is over.

Hooray! I can get a haircut starting Monday.

It's funny how you buy things years ahead that you kind of "forget" about. Later you think "oh crap I don't have enough of..."

Then you start digging...

I thought we weren't very stocked on TP- found a bunch in deep storage. Usually have a couple months worth at the house.

POL stuff was low- I bought a bunch, filled all the equipment up and stocked 7 five gallon buckets of hydraulic at the range property. Excavator leaks it a bit but all other equipment is good. Could use more diesel.

My boss had just given me a "bonus" right before things got bad. I picked up a new M1A Socom and Gen 5 19 in Coyote in early March. My boss is a jerk most of the time, but he came through that time

Needed a scope for the M1A, bought a Primary Arms scope for this one also. That was early March, still have not received nor heard about that order. Meanwhile I have people ordering high spec NV that I quote 4 weeks on that call me twice a week asking about it.... LOL Guess some people are more patient than others.

Had a couple heifers calve recently. Two in two days about a week or so ago. One of our broody hens hatched out 8 chicks. We haven't had to add to our flock in a decade? Maybe more. We let the broody ones brood and are rewarded with a perpetual flock.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

i thought i read poi.... i thought hmm... i don't like that stuff...i have associate in hawaii and they serve poi.... tastes like flavorless ground up roots... texture of very thick mashed potatoes.

then i read it again. pol not poi... so i decided... police gear. not enough belts, holsters, uniforms, weapons? nope... has something to do with oil products. now, i think it must be petroleum products..

? i give up ? mistype..... oil?

petroleum, oil, lubricants!
    oh yeah... no excavator at my condo!... jealous!

i need scopes too. foxes ate the chickens.. dogs killed the heifer, but that was a long time ago.
    the milk cow stayed at parent's home when i left home!
    i've got a long list!

Super Moderator Patriotic Sheepdog's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Just going along...more meat in the freezer than I have had in there in 2-3 years. Decided to get the Dillon 650 tuned up again. Thumblers tumbler had a bad band, so ordered 6 more. Have new seeds so started a small garden. fuel filled up and stabilizer added. Genny gets started every 2 months so its good. been busy with parents, as they have been in and out of the hospital. Moved them to an assisted living facility. Now having to go thru their house and clean it up. Moving furniture and selling items. selling their house soon. But...with all this lifting and moving i have developed a hernia. I have been working out for greater than 5 years, and this happened. I have been in the best shape of my life for the last 3+ years and this happened.
    Now my doc said, "well, you must work out. That will help with recovery from the surgery". So, i guess its surgery time ASAP and then get on with getting ready....
    Protecting the sheep from the wolves that want them, their family, their money and full control of our Country!

Guns and gear are cool, but bandages stop the bleeding!

ATTENTION: No trees or animals were harmed in any way in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were really ticked off!

NO 10-289!