Israeli Gas Masks

kerosene storage

is any one storing kerosene? i read on JWR u can use kerosene with 2 cycle oil,100 to 1 ratio,and use it in a diesel engine...anyone ever done this or kno for sure if it works without damage to engine,injectors ect i was wondering if it stored longer than bio-diesel (bio is only thing availsble in my area) and if i could use PRID D

I've stored kerosene for 2 yrs but thats about it. I think that the diesel storage stuff should work for longer term but I don't know that to be true for sure. I've never used it in anything but heaters.

I've burned kerosene that was over 25 years old in lamps & lanterns. No problems. Don't know about heaters or diesels.

Although I don't know about this first hand, but I always understood that kerosene will stay forever.

I`m using kerosene that was stored for Y2K in 55 gal drums.Used this winter when the lights went out from a very cold snap,worked fine in my Kerosun heaters and lamps.
    God Bless
    OldFarmer2

Back in 98, I was getting the kerosene heater out for the first time of the year and realized that I had stored it with kerosene in it. It turned slimy, so I emptied it, used a paint stirrer to remove the slime and it burned just fine; no difference from the year-old slimy kerosene as compared to new. I haven't had that happen since, and I have stored some kerosene for 2-3 years before using it. I don't leave much room at the top for air in the containers.

Silver Site Supporter 9/2011 Grinnan Barrett's Avatar
    It can go bad if not stored correctly. Like anything you need to rotate your stocks. Also use additives to keep it from growing strange and wonderful things. If you look at some of the new bio diesel fuels they look like they run on chicken fried steak grease. I dont understand it. My tractors never did that well on it.

Off to liberal Utopia
    Quote Originally Posted by bountyhunter69 View Post
    is any one storing kerosene? i read on JWR u can use kerosene with 2 cycle oil,100 to 1 ratio,and use it in a diesel engine...anyone ever done this or kno for sure if it works without damage to engine,injectors ect i was wondering if it stored longer than bio-diesel (bio is only thing availsble in my area) and if i could use PRID D
    We selected diesel engines (car, pickup, tractor, and generator) for our vehicles, and chose to store kerosene, rather than diesel because of better reported storage stability. We researched the question quite extensively. We have the red-died kerosene in 55 gallon drums, to which we added Diesel Kleen at twice the label recommended concentration. (In our state, the red die is added to show that no road tax was paid on the fuel. I read that it is not advisable to burn red died kerosene indoors.)

There are two risks with storing diesel. First is bacteria growth. Second is jelling in cold weather. Kerosene is reportedly less supportive of bacteria because kerosene is a more highly refined fuel. Diesel Kleen helps with both problems, plus includes a lubricant additive package, so no need to add any 2-cycle oil.

In our experience, it was impossible to get any diesel engine maker to admit that kerosene is a suitable fuel in modern diesel engines. However, we selected kerosene as our stored fuel after talking with several diesel engine repair shops who assured that kerosene would be fine, especially if a lubricant package is added. Our decision was clinched when we learned from the Base Engineering Officer at our local Air Force base that the Air Force fuels all of their snow plows and utility trucks, in winter, with kerosene (in the form of JP-4, which is kerosene with an additive package) as their cold winter fuel.

I have used this 8-year-old kerosene in tractor and pickup engines with no apparent problems. It looks, smells, and feels same as fresh kerosene. However, we are fortunate to live in a dry climate where fuel tank condensation doesn't occur. I don't know if storage in a high humidity environment would present any special problem.

It was hard to get definitive answers from any authority. We went with the best information we could get, and it seems to be working out fine.

Here is a link to the Diesel Kleen manufacturer web site:
    http://powerservice.com/dk/
    Last edited by Cindy; 01-24-2012 at 02:50 AM.

Gold Site Supporter 2014 thank you! 610Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    @Cindy - have you compared PRI-D to Diesel Kleen?

PRI makes a product called OCIDE http://www.priproducts.com/PRI-OCIDE.cfm which is a microbial growth inhibitor for diesel fuel and they make PRI-D for diesel as an long term storage additive. The PRI-G is for gasonline.

I have not tried these products personally but 1Admin has been using the PRI-G or PRI-D (can't remember which) for some time, I saw it in one of his videos.
    "If you will live like no one else, later on you can live like no one else." -- Dave Ramsey

I don't know enough about biodiesel to ask intelligent questions, yet, but I'm pleased to know about the storage capability of Kerosene. Interesting thread.