JRH Products
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    as we hunker down from the virus, wife comes in the house with a large container of lemonade mix.. looks like a container of oat meal... but a magic marker has written 8/11 on it...
    so... bought august 2011...
    i was a little concerned about something bad that happens to sugar over time...

this was good stuff! and we are still kicking..

If it's not swelled, doesn't stink or move, it's probably good. :-)

2-days ago I pan-fried some chicken with 7-month beyond best-date canola oil. Ms. Foster took one bite and turned-up her nose. More for me. I handed her the bottle of oil; she could smell the semi-rancid oil, I couldn’t. I knew cooking oil and shortening went rancid but I didn’t think it would go that fast. Any suggestions for cooking oil for COLMOLLIIN? I know some save bacon grease...

Administrator
    I cook a lot of bacon and save the bacon grease in pint canning jars. I've never had one go rancid.

As for other oils, I've never had a sealed bottle of any kind of oil go rancid. I think the solution is to buy smaller bottles. I don't use vegetable oils, but I do have some in storage for emergencies.

diced carrots....
    my better half is helping with g'kids a long way off... and has been gone "TOO long"
    that wasn't a shout... it was strong declaratory statement...
    so, i'm making my own meals and not real happy about it..
    --
    tonight.. left over chicken, left over blackeye peas, left over potatoes... too much white... so digging around and found a # 10 can of diced carrots... packed in june 2010 dehydrated... that would add some color to the plate..

i thought it was a sealed can... nope. bride had opened it ?? in the past?? had a white plastic snap on lid...
    instructions said add water and let it sit for 20 minutes... then pour off excess water. i put a regular serving in a bowl and let it soak... to speed the process i nuked it for 30 seconds.. hmm... that pile of carrots was growing... and the water didin't cover 'em any more... so a couple of times added water..

that was an hour ago... i'm still kicking... tasted like a carrot that had been on the counter 1 day too long... salt helped 'em.

so that's my dehydrated 10+ year old carrot story... before i sign off, i looked and no tomatoes... but, there are some plants the bride planted still growing near the house... ran out in the pouring rain, grabbed 4 bright red tomatoes...
    yeah,, that was good! helped with just a little salt...
    having my regular companion not be around, i miss the young lady...

edited to add... she called just after i posted this... thinks she opened this can right after covid got going... ? march or so? 2020.
    Last edited by rockriver; 09-16-2020 at 07:11 PM.

Administrator
    I have vacuum sealed Mason jars full of beans (baking soda helps to soften them up in water), corn meal, potato slices, and rice. They're all still edible. They were "canned" in 1999 with a home**** vacuum sealer. I also do jars full of dehydrated herbs, and they last for a long time.

tuna...
    with my bride gone, i'm digging in the cabinets... found some tuna..
    small can... just right for 2 sandwiches... best by 2017
    tasted good.. star kist in water...

also,, found some frozen corn... small zip lock. maybe a pound... about like a small womans fist. i'm calling it shaved... not sure of the right name. ground up? fresh corn. i've seen wife add this to water and nuke it... this isn't old, at most last years crop i'd guess... talk about good tasting... just added a little salt! the important point is that it grew... probably 3 to 4 times the amount as it kept absorbing water. yep, i got off track from purposes of this thread.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
    tuna...
    with my bride gone, i'm digging in the cabinets... found some tuna..
    small can... just right for 2 sandwiches... best by 2017
    tasted good.. star kist in water...

also,, found some frozen corn... small zip lock. maybe a pound... about like a small womans fist. i'm calling it shaved... not sure of the right name. ground up? fresh corn. i've seen wife add this to water and nuke it... this isn't old, at most last years crop i'd guess... talk about good tasting... just added a little salt! the important point is that it grew... probably 3 to 4 times the amount as it kept absorbing water. yep, i got off track from purposes of this thread.
    It's called shelled corn, just so you know😉 I used to shell corn and can it in its own juices. Good stuff!

As for expired food...
    I use almond milk for cooking. Often the expired date is long gone, but as long as it smells good, it works. The one I'm using now is 5 months past the expiration date. Same for heavy whipping cream.

Pork rinds are a different story. They will go rancid even if unopened.

Condiments generally last well beyond the expiration date as long as they haven't changed color or texture.

Canned goods are fine as long as the integrity of the can hasn't been compromised.

Eggs: I use them as long as they're not more than 2 months past the Best By date.

reference corn... this was more than shelled... but shelled may be proper term? i think it was prepared to become creamed corn?

back to the tuna... no sickness, no discomfort, however.... at the end of the road there were different results. probably best to put the tuna in the box of stuff for the mousers. shame. i hope you folks rotate better than us!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
    reference corn... this was more than shelled... but shelled may be proper term? i think it was prepared to become creamed corn?

back to the tuna... no sickness, no discomfort, however.... at the end of the road there were different results. probably best to put the tuna in the box of stuff for the mousers. shame. i hope you folks rotate better than us!
    I buy tuna in pouches and we use it long before its 2-year expiration date. When I use one, I just buy another. I do the same thing with everything else I use, and then some, which is why my pantry is jam packed! I reorganize regularly and donate anything that's close to expiration to the food pantry. Anything else I know I won't use that's expired goes in the garbage.