JRH Products
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Older Jeep or side by side?

So these darn side by sides are pretty darn expensive. A hair under $10K for a new one without 4wd.

Looking at possibly instead a 90'ish Jeep Wrangler 4x4 for a little less than half that.

Owned a inline 6 Cherokee for years and got 292K out of that one.

This Jeep has the little 4 cyclinder.

Pros/cons? Anyone own one of these now or in the past? Problems?

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

Blog Entries
    I owned a 95 wrangler ...suspension could be better (more flex for off road) ..I ragged mine. I'm talking water to the seats ragging for three years or more before the slave cylinder in the transmission gave up.
    Wish I had o.e now.

What's caught my eye is the mini trucks that Mitsubishi etc make. Most are 3-15 k..4*4... and look like lil unimogs LOL
    Hey Petunia...you dropped your man pad!

My vote is for the Jeep although I would recommend finding one with the inline 6. The inline 6 is a workhorse of a motor. If you don't already have a Jeep you can pick up a used late model (80s-90s) for $1500-5000.

I bought my '92 Cherokee new after graduating from college. Two years ago I had the engine rebuilt, a remanufactured transmission, and new tires (275/75R15 ATs) on it. All for less than $6000. This is my combination "drive-everyday-to-work-GHV-BOV-carry-dirty-dogs-&-dead-critters" vehicle.

I just got back from elk hunting (didn't get one) at the base of the Mogollon Rim (North of Payson) and I drove over the same terrain as the side by sides with no problems. The bonus is I have a vehicle with AC, heat, and protection from wind and rain that can carry an elk (did I mention I did not get one).

The after market options for Jeeps are insane now. There are so many quality products out there you can customize your Jeep the way you want without breaking the bank. My upcoming projects are: a 2-3" lift kit, 31x10.5 tires & rims, a rear bumper w/ tire rack, a front bumper w/ winch, and a roof rack. I estimate I can get this done for around $5000.

My point being is that for investing $11000 into the Cherokee I get a vehicle I can use every day and it can go pretty much any where the side by side ATVs can go.
    "One cannot but ponder the question: what if the Arabs had been Christians? To me it seems certain that the fatalistic teachings of Mohammed and the utter degradation of women is the outstanding cause for the arrested development of the Arab. He is exactly what he was around the year 700, while we have kept on developing. Here, I think, is a text for some eloquent sermon on the virtues of Christianity." - General George S. Patton, diary, June 9, 1943.

We drove this one and when I attempted to shift the 4WD, it was like the linkage broke or something- the stick went loose and even FELL downwards. Then right after I couldn't put the car in ANY normal gear.

Serious problem or easy fix?

Quote Originally Posted by Lowdown3 View Post
    We drove this one and when I attempted to shift the 4WD, it was like the linkage broke or something- the stick went loose and even FELL downwards. Then right after I couldn't put the car in ANY normal gear.

Serious problem or easy fix?
    Depends.... were you in 4WD High or 4WD Low? You can shift in an out of 4WD High while rolling as long as you're under 45 MPH but 4WD Low you have to be stopped and in neutral.

If it is just the linkage then it is an easy fix, otherwise, you'll most likely have to spend money to fix the problem. Have a trusted mechanic take a look at the linkage and the transfer case. He should be able to determine the fix pretty quickly.
    "One cannot but ponder the question: what if the Arabs had been Christians? To me it seems certain that the fatalistic teachings of Mohammed and the utter degradation of women is the outstanding cause for the arrested development of the Arab. He is exactly what he was around the year 700, while we have kept on developing. Here, I think, is a text for some eloquent sermon on the virtues of Christianity." - General George S. Patton, diary, June 9, 1943.

So on the nineties Jeep Wranglers, 4wd 4 CYL. what common problems have people seen?

What to look for when checking out something like that.

2015 Silver Site supporter Rmplstlskn's Avatar
    JEEP = Just Empty Every Pocket

Why not an older Toyota Hi-Lux or Nissan 4x4?

A Toyota with 22R 4-banger and manual tranny are unstoppable and run forever it seems... Just body rust issues mainly.

An old pickup 4x4 seems more useful than a Jeep (truck bed), unless you want something to go topless in... LOL!

Rmpl
    -=> Rmplstlskn <=-

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowdown3 View Post
    So on the nineties Jeep Wranglers, 4wd 4 CYL. what common problems have people seen?

What to look for when checking out something like that.
    Well if you run it like I did...slave cylinder will go. But I don't see you driving in waist deep water ...

Sides that issue I had none.
    Hey Petunia...you dropped your man pad!

Quote Originally Posted by protus View Post
    Well if you run it like I did...slave cylinder will go. But I don't see you driving in waist deep water ...

Sides that issue I had none.
    Not unless their is a flood no LOL.

Got a couple of pickups including one similar to what Rmpl mentioned. Still having good luck with that one, unfortunately it isn't a 4X

I miss my yota... I loved that truck. samll, great gas mileage and dang did she 4 wheel....