JRH Products
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Custom Blow out kit

Ok, within reason, let's make suggestions as to what to put in a blow out kit. Let's keep in mind SIZE of most pouches that blow out kits go in, the idea is not to have a portable trauma ward in a small pouch!

I'm thinking:

CAT tourniquet or SOF-TTW
    Israeli bandage
    Quickclot Combat gauze z fold type
    H and H compressed gauze- 1 or 2
    EMT shears
    OPA
    NPA
    Needle decompression needle
    Chest seal, preferably Hyfin or similar.

Thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

Gold Site supporter 2014- thank you!
    That's about the same as what I have in mine, minus the OPA.

Super Moderator Patriotic Sheepdog's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My overall thoughts on BOK...
    This kit is for you. It is what you would use to apply self care or allow someone on your team to apply care to you for penetrating trauma/rapid severe hemorrhaging. I don't want to be digging into my personal BOK to get supplies for someone else. I will get into my IFAK for extra supplies for someone else, but my BOK is for me. If you just got shot, there is a chance that the shooter is still out there and I may need my BOK supplies. They don't need to be laid out on the ground treating someone else. Also, your BOK needs to be accessible from either hand...AND in various positions. Practice lying on your back, stomach, and each side. Stay low because if you sit up you may catch another round. I have my students practice this in the AC3 classes I teach. A couple members on here have taken this class and can attest to what I put them through.

Now, my thoughts on BOK contents. LD3 you mentioned small BOK, so I am assuming something like the HSGI Bleeder pouch. If you have something larger, then you may be able to fit more into it. Again, I use my BOK for one purpose (stated above) and it is not my IFAK or my AFAK I carry for my team. My team knows MY BOK is for me not them. They need to supply and make their own BOK. I won't steal from my BOK to treat them, however, I will take from my AFAK for them but that will take me a few more seconds to get to, so their BOK better be accessible and I better know where they carry it. Having a standard location that all team members carry their BOK may make it easier to locate in an emergency.

1. I don't like TQs IN a pouch. It needs to be rapidly accessible with either hand. Opening a pouch is just one more step that can take costly seconds.

2. Izzy and Combat gauze. I don't think having that extra H&H in a BOK is needed if you have the Izzy. Have the H&H in the FAK. If you have room in your kit then okay.

3. NPA will work for that semi conscious patient with a gag reflex. The BOK is for you, so do you want someone shoving a OPA down your throat if you have a gag reflex? Not to say that a NPA would feel better, but if I am conscious enough I will tell them not to drop an airway...yet. You do have some jelly with that NPA....(although your saliva can work in a pinch if your rescuer knows this trick, if not you may be getting a dry NPA shoved into your nare....remember this is for you)

4. Chest seal...your preference. In my BOK I have several vaseline gauze pads 3"x9" which are slim and can do the trick of stopping the air entering through the wound. If the wound is sealed quick enough you may...and thats a big may, not need a needle decompression. I keep my Bolen/Halo/Ascherman/Hyfin in my IFAK (which is pretty well accessible with either hand). I just don't like folding my commercial seals as I am not sure if that will cause loss of effectiveness is it sticking. I know if I get shot in the chest, and I am physically able, I can get the vaseline gauze on and apply pressure to stop the airleak and slow/stop the hemorrhage.

5. Needle is great to have, but does it need to go into the BOK? Having it in your BOK can make it possibly more accessible, however will the rescuer that comes to your aid know how to use it? If not, you may die of a poorly placed needle and could have lived with the GSW that he didn't treat because he THOUGHT you needed decompression. It most likely will not be needed immediately which is why I carry it in my IFAK/AFAK. Another thought, will you be using this on yourself? Maybe, but it is tricky enough doing this procedure on someone else, but on yourself it will be much harder.

Just a few of my thoughts...YMMV
    Protecting the sheep from the wolves that want them, their family, their money and full control of our Country!

Guns and gear are cool, but bandages stop the bleeding!

ATTENTION: No trees or animals were harmed in any way in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were really ticked off!

NO 10-289!

2015 Silver Site supporter Rmplstlskn's Avatar
    Sheepdog, you mention having both a BOK and IFAK handy. Do you carry BOTH of them on your battle/range gear? Maybe because you are a medical-trained guy you pull that additional burden? But like you said, if someone is untrained, using a needle can cause more harm than good...

I have gone through many versions of a BOK, and they all started big and have gotten smaller, as what I would LIKE to have in it is bulky and interferes with something, like going prone, or with my weapon sling, etc... So I now carry MINIMAL stuff, but I always think I am too minimal.

I do not carry a IFAK on my web gear, but I do have it in or on my 3-day backpack that goes with my web gear, able to be dropped if I need more mobility, dropping my IFAK along with it, leaving only a BOK on my chest rig..

Look forward to seeing others BOK supplies...

Rmpl
    Last edited by Rmplstlskn; 01-26-2016 at 09:08 PM.
    -=> Rmplstlskn <=-

Super Moderator Patriotic Sheepdog's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmplstlskn View Post
    Sheepdog, you mention having both a BOK and IFAK handy. Do you carry BOTH of them on your battle/range gear? Yes, I carry a BOK with a TQ on the side of the BOK. BOK is attached to my CR. My second TQ is on my BB. My IFAK/AFAK is on my BB. My set up is like this in case i need to drop CR and hide rifle (like E&E and out of ammo). I will have at least one TQ available, with at least a IFAK. Maybe because you are a medical-trained guy you pull that additional burden? I guess so, my patrol pack has additional med gear plus my minimal personal gear. It also has my PPP (personal pill pack) for advil, allergies, antibiotics, etc. But like you said, if someone is untrained, using a needle can cause more harm than good...

I have gone through many versions of a BOK (me too), and they all started big and have gotten smaller, as what I would LIKE to have in it is bulky and interferes with something, like going prone, or with my weapon sling, etc... So I now carry MINIMAL stuff, but I always think I am too minimal.

I do not carry a IFAK on my web gear, but I do have it in or on my 3-day backpack that goes with my web gear, able to be dropped if I need more mobility, dropping my IFAK along with it, leaving only a BOK on my chest rig.. problem with this is if you just need a small bandage you will need to use something from your BOK which likely is a large bandage. then you have exhausted that large bandage until you can resupply from your pack. my IFAK/AFAK is on my BB. I carry (from my left to right) on my BB a TQ, double pistol mag carrier, a double rifle mag pouch, IFAK/AFAK, canteen, pistol and depending on mission a small E&E pouch.

Look forward to seeing others BOK supplies...

Rmpl
    My comments above in red...
    Protecting the sheep from the wolves that want them, their family, their money and full control of our Country!

Guns and gear are cool, but bandages stop the bleeding!

ATTENTION: No trees or animals were harmed in any way in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were really ticked off!

NO 10-289!

Blog Entries
    What i carry.

On my rig.
    Left and right sides oppsite my mags(left and right sides) Ride an CAT and izzy. Fast back to action self aid.
    On my belt..
    Thrid CAT on my strong side .see above for use.
    Small of back is a tear away ifak. This is the grab and work on me kit. By me or team member.
    Another CAT
    Hh gauze
    Izzy
    Petro gauze pads
    Halo/asherman
    Opa/npa
    Needle
    Shears
    Qc gauze
    Hemostats
    Pen light
    Chem light
    Majic marker

Pack will ride the ouchy boo boo kit and extra bleeder stuff (4+4s ..izzys...gauze...ace wrap etc ).

This is off the top of my head...i may have missed a item or two.
    Hey Petunia...you dropped your man pad!

Blog Entries
    I think also to calrify on my end.
    Whats on my chest rig is what i grab for me. OHHH NOEZ I GOT CLIPPED....i grab one of two of the CATs and apply..stay in the fight..alive.
    Whats on my belt. Is a continuation of that.
    Well shucks protus...you got clipped thru both legs and your arm...
    Out comes that thrid CAT or i tear off the bigger kit to self aid or for a team mate to apply.

My immediate grab stuff is just that. Tq..stuff and wrap...return fire.

I think if you had to have one small kit..say on yiur rig only and had limited real estate id go...
    TQ -CAT or SOFT
    Izzy
    Qc combat quaze
    Shears

Thats all youd need for that instant self aid.
    Of course..none of us wiuld go that bare bones...(insert decomp...asherman...HH gauze...exrta tq...etc etc ) lol
    Hey Petunia...you dropped your man pad!

It's just a flesh wound!!!

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

Quote Originally Posted by protus View Post
    OHHH NOEZ I GOT CLIPPED....i grab one of two of the CATs and apply..stay in the fight..alive.
    Whats on my belt. Is a continuation of that.
    Out comes that thrid CAT or i tear off the bigger kit to self aid or for a team mate to apply.
    This may be where my "I am NOT a medical person, just a dude who took some classes" comes to play, but my understanding of CAT (tourniquets) is that they are ONLY used for gushers, where an artery or other major blood vessel is pumping your life blood out, NOT for just a FLESH wound, as nasty as that may be and with some heavy bleeding (but not spurting). For a NON-SPURTER flesh wound, my understanding is that you would use something like an Israeli ABD pressure bandage or the QuickClot pressure wrap to put PRESSURE on the wound to stop the bleeding, not cut off the blood flow to your whole extremity (tourniquet).

Just want to make sure people reading all this properly understand things and don't think the CAT is their main thing to grab...

Rmpl
    -=> Rmplstlskn <=-

Quote Originally Posted by Patriotic Sheepdog View Post
    problem with this is if you just need a small bandage you will need to use something from your BOK which likely is a large bandage. then you have exhausted that large bandage until you can resupply from your pack.
    I didn't mention that I have small bandage boo-boo items in my admin pouch on my chest rig.

Rmpl
    -=> Rmplstlskn <=-