JRH Products
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 54- too much

54- too much

So usually when we walk or TAB I'm carrying either a 30-32 lb. pack, or a 35-37'ish lb. LBT pack. The LBT pack carries better, but the smaller military pack is more compact. It lacks a decent support system- I got it used and I think it was missing some components. Either pack never gives me any trouble for our regular 2-3 mile walk/jogs.

During the freezepockalips recently when we were stuck in for a few days, I pulled a couple packs and started going over them.

I have a larger Kelty pack that I got a few years ago. Protus has one and I was insanely jealous upon seeing his LOL. No seriously it's a nice pack and rides better than any pack I've owned. It also has a more civilian look versus the other packs we normally carry.

But as is the danger with any large pack that has room for the kitchen sink- you will likely put the kitchen sink in there.

I have this pack setup more for a permanent BO type of thing, so by habit stance it has a few more things in there, some "tools" that aren't in the smaller packs, etc. I DON'T have 1000 rounds in there, I took the claymores out years ago (LOL, just kidding). So I didn't really THINK the weight was too bad.

Decided to take that on our walk yesterday. Pack, rifle, fleece hat cause it was about 5 degrees out. Noticed I wasn't moving as fast on the first mile. Second mile I had to make myself scoot a bit to catch up on the hills. WTF over? I'm always out front with the other packs and the jogging sections never bother me.

Got it done, it was only a few miles. Had to be a bit slower than normal though.

OK, what's the deal? I've been sick but I've trained sick and injured before and never felt it sucked like that. Was it the cold? No, cardio was fine, breathing was fine. The pack? No, can't be, I THINK it's about the same as the other two, maybe a COUPLE lbs. heavier.

Got on the scale - 180. Got on scale with pack on right after- 234 Now I attended publix skewl but I'm sure that equals a 54 lb. pack weight. At 19 no problem, 24 years later.... Yeah it's going to slow me down a bit.

OK, that explains it. To use an overused cliche- "I'm too old for this crap."

Now to tear the pack apart and get it down to 45 at a high note. Meanwhile I'll focus on the legs some more also.

What's your pack weight?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

Those who have been around the military know what a "blivit" is. Yes, I am guilty. My small get-me-home bag seemed a little heavy after a lingering ankle injury. I weighed it, 38 lbs! At my age and current injury, that's too much. I guess I'll have to take out the Green Egg and 10 lbs of charcoal��.

Getting old suxx, don't it...LOL

Finally found a proxy server that you don't block...

Miss Y'all...

Regards,
    Templar
    Salutations,
    Templar

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________

There are very good reasons why we all are gathered here...

I think we still have most of Asia and Europe blocked due to huge spammer attacks.

Y'all stay warm up there in Kansas

Super Moderator Patriotic Sheepdog's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have had to go thru my packs as well over the years....even though I am in great shape for my age, it is still my age...I think I can still do more then most, even some younger then me....

Templar, getting old really does suxx, but we have to keep pushing forward. The younger people here on the board won't understand what we mean, but trust me, they will have the "ah ha" moment at some point in their life. Glad to see you back Templar....
    Protecting the sheep from the wolves that want them, their family, their money and full control of our Country!

Guns and gear are cool, but bandages stop the bleeding!

ATTENTION: No trees or animals were harmed in any way in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were really ticked off!

NO 10-289!

Thanks PS, you should have heard the grief I received when I switched to plastic mags to save some weight...
    Salutations,
    Templar

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________

Revisionist history boys..... LOL I don't remember that, but....

I do remember putting bricks into "dude!s" pack and not having him figure that out till after about 5 miles.. LOL. Hell I'm surprised he didn't ask S to carry his pack After asking her to "recon" that creek crossing so he could figure out where to get a cross as dry as possible....

You know your a POS when you ask an 11 year old female to cross a water obstacle first so you can figure out the best place to cross!!!

LD3, completely agree on "Dude"...He was pissed that she out-shot him regularly...

Be Safe
    T
    Salutations,
    Templar

Blog Entries
    T you had plastic mags back then????

Ahead of your time man....;p
    Hey Petunia...you dropped your man pad!

It was more like "we should run 20 round mags to save weight".

Not too far behind packing a ham sammich instead of mags
    Boris- "He's famous, has picture on three dollar bill!"

Rocky- "Wow! I've never even seen a three dollar bill!"

Boris- "Is it my fault your poor?"